Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power from Meter to Garage

• 24-08-2009 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi posted some weeks ago about power to a shed from mcb in the fusebox. Just a quick question friend of mine built a garage and i noticed that the fuseboard is fed directly from the Meter box at house where ESB supply comes in. This was done by ESB themselves so nothing dodgy...just wondering is this common practice for a garage with upstairs ? or could it have been fed by house fuseboard ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

unless there's an additional esb meter for the garage in the same cabinet you would need 1 63amp switch fuse(ip rated) for the two tails.even then it wouldn't be standard practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lloydyboy

Hi dave thanks for reply....there seems to be additional "block" (best way to describe it) for the feed to the garage at the meter box but pretty sure only 1 meter. Fuseboard in garage is split load 63amp main fuse and RCCB. I believe the guy that built the garage for them suggested putting in a sauna (which never transpired) and possibly why fed from meter. Are you saying "feeding garage from house fuseboard" wouldn't be standard practice or feeding from the meter box ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

garage is normally fed from house.1 63amp supply per meter(12kva) and preferably 1 set of tails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lloydyboy

ok thanks. As I said the ESB connected this for my friend possibly because of the potential sauna situation. Just wanted to know in case i built garage myself as meter is on opposite side of house to where garage would be but run from the house board would be easier. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can you get a picture of your friends situation?

Not sure what you mean by another box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement