Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild camping along the N11 route ?

• 24-08-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I got the train up from Rosslare this morning and saw two different places along the route where there were a few campervans (not caravans by the looks of things) parked up for the night. I hadn't noticed this before and I was just wondering if it was just co-incidence or if this is taking off a little more due to financial constraints.

The first was in the car park of Aldi/Tesco just outside Gorey. There must have been 4 or 5 or more vans there. The second was on the approach to Arklow station where there was 2 or 3.

I have to say that if I was to go wild camping, a Tesco car park isn't the place I would base myself for more than a single overnight stop. We did it before when bringing the van back from Germany (although it wasn't Tesco obviously) and the kids were tired, we were nowhere near any campsites, etc . . . we pulled into a closed supermarket and bunked down. Next morning it was great to be able to wander out of the van and get fresh bread, etc . . . a few metres from the van.

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would hazard a guess and say that the proximity of the ferry port has something to do with it.
    People just coming off the ferry or hoping to catch it next morning, not wanting to spend the night in the port itself or on a campsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I've used supermarket carparks as purely overnights quite a bit on journeys when in UK -in fact Tesco have a booklet showing locations of all their stores, opening hours etc - you just ask for it at Customer Service. I got talking to a security guard and was told they don't really enforce the no overnight thing as long as you don't look like you are settling in for a long stay.
    I had one handy spot where I could walk the dog behind IKEA in Edinburgh and was visited by the police at midnight! When they realised I was not up to mischief they said "no problem" about staying there overnight. (Scottish cops are very friendly and helpful, by the way).
    I've noticed LIDL carparks being used here in Ireland quite a bit by vans - again it seems to me that LIDL appreciate that campers will give them business in return for a discreet overnight spot. Usually their carparks are located handily for access from main roads and have lots of swinging room.
    This HAS wandered off the N11 route, hasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

It seems that Lidl in France appreciate your business and do not mind Motorhomes overnighting with them either.

Advertisement