Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla

Options
  • 24-08-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi can someone direct me to the glenmalure side of lug

We are used to climbing it from the fentons pub / firing range side and wish to climb it from the glenmalure side but don't know where to park / start

Can someone help, we will be travelling from Donard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Park at the ford at the end of Glenmalure. There is a track from there that goes fairly far up. Take a left on this track just after the old hostel and follow it straight up to the Waterfall.

Go up the side of the waterfall, once at top head right, about 45 degrees as you stand with the waterfall behing you. Once you have gotten up on the ridge simply follow around to the left. Cut right near the top to reach the summit.

Hopefull that'll be easy enough to reconcile with a map in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Thanks but how do we get by car to glenmalure coming from Donard
    that is where I am lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where are you starting from?
    If Dublin, take the M11 to Rathnew, then go through Glenealy and to Rathdrum. Cross the river and take the steep hill up to the town of Rathdrum proper, turn left at the top of this hill and go up the street til it widens into a square. turn right here up a hill again and Glenmalure is signed from here.

You can park halfway up the glen across from Carawaystick waterfall where a track zig zags up the valley side and the route brings you up over Clohernagh, or go on the road til the ford at the end and go up by the Fraughen Rock Glen.
    There's a bigger car park at the ford, but it's usually busier and often full.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You can park halfway up the glen across from Carawaystick waterfall where a track zig zags up the valley side and the route brings you up over Clohernagh, or go on the road til the ford at the end and go up by the Fraughen Rock Glen.
    There's a bigger car park at the ford, but it's usually busier and often full.

You got a waterfall named after ya, that pretty sweet :p

• Advertisement

Im actually coming from the Donard side so any directions from here with landmarks would be fab
    The map is great but doesn't show landmarks or help me out
    Im crap at map reading at the best of times anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

jakeypooh wrote: »
    Im actually coming from the Donard side so any directions from here with landmarks would be fab
    The map is great but doesn't show landmarks or help me out
    Im crap at map reading at the best of times anyway

If you cant read a map at the best of times, how will you navigate at the worst of times at the top of Lug in heavy mist?

IrlJidel wrote: »
    If you cant read a map at the best of times, how will you navigate at the worst of times at the top of Lug in heavy mist?

I hope you havent taken this the wrong way and dont want to discourage you hillwalking, but Lug is quite a dangerous mountain to be on in poor visiblity due to the North and South prison. I hope your going with a group with at least one experienced walker.

Otherwise, pick a different mountain. You could redo your usual route but practise looking at the map and as you're walking try to predict what the land is like from the map and what you will see. "There should be a gully on my left", "I should be crossing a stream soon", "The terrain will flatten for 300 meters and then start rising steeply" etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

IrlJidel wrote: »

He's right, Lug's no place to be if you can't read a map. The weather's awful changeable up there.

All I wanted was directions to the other side of LUG than we normally climb

Have climbed LUG hundreds of times from the fentons pub side and have no problem negotiating it at all

All I needed was directions by car to Glenmalure not directions on how to climb
    the mountain itself

So if anyone can actually give me directions from Fentons but to Glenmalure I would really appreciate it

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm sorry, but none of this makes any sense at all. You're claiming on the one hand that you have sufficient map reading skills to navigate to the summit of Lug via a route you've never climbed before, but on the other hand lack sufficient map reading skills to drive from Fenton's to Glenmalure. You'll excuse us if that comes across as a little strange, to say the least.

As someone above said, just look at a map! Fenton's to Glenmalure isn't exactly a common route that many of us (or indeed any of us) will have driven before, including myself, and guess what I'd do in those circumstances? Yes, look at a map. Sorry, but it really is that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

All I wanted was directions to the other side of LUG than we normally climb

Have climbed LUG hundreds of times from the fentons pub side and have no problem negotiating it at all

All I needed was directions by car to Glenmalure not directions on how to climb
    the mountain itself

So if anyone can actually give me directions from Fentons but to Glenmalure I would really appreciate it

Thanks

Fair enough. You've two options. You can go North to Hollywood, then head East over the Wicklow Gap to Laragh, then head South out of Laragh, looking for a right turn onto the Military Road over to Glenmalure crossroads (where the pub is) and turn right there up the Glenmalure valley. There's a car park 6 or 7km down the road right before a concrete bridge. If the bridge is flooded (as happens quite often, even in Summer) there's a pedestrian bridge slightly upstream.

Otherwise, you can follow the directions in testicles' Google Map linked earlier. That would be faster, I'm sure, but less well sign-posted.

I presume all this is in a car. If you're walking, then there's a decent track all the way from Stranahely Woods over Table Pass. It only takes a couple of hours.

We are used to climbing it from the fentons pub / firing range side and wish to climb it from the glenmalure side but don't know where to park / start

Here's a map link that shows your start point at Baravore Carpark. This online map is incompete but should show you were to look on your OSI or Harveys map.

thank you Donny that is exactly what I was looking for to get me where I wished to start

I appreciate your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

An interesting variation to the above would be to go up via the rock glen but return via arts lough. Or vice versa.

Advertisement