Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta won't start at all

• 24-08-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I have a Ford Fiesta MK4 and the mnain problem is it won't start! When you turn the key in the ignition, it justs clicks repeatedly and the engine won't turn over. This is a very recent thing (up until now this car has been perfect, no problems), it was jump started and ran ok for a couple of miles, the engine was turned off and then when we went to re-start it, it wouldn't and just started this clicking noise.

When you turn on the ignition all the lights on the panel flash really quickly - in time with the clicks, if that makes sense. :confused:

Someone has suggested that it could be the alternator - any ideas??

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Sounds like flat battery.
    I have a Ford Fiesta MK4 and the mnain problem is it won't start! When you turn the key in the ignition, it justs clicks repeatedly and the engine won't turn over. This is a very recent thing (up until now this car has been perfect, no problems), it was jump started and ran ok for a couple of miles, the engine was turned off and then when we went to re-start it, it wouldn't and just started this clicking noise.

When you turn on the ignition all the lights on the panel flash really quickly - in time with the clicks, if that makes sense. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Your battery's flat. Check you're not leaving anything on when the car's switched off and that the charge light isn't on when the car's running. If the battery won't hold charge then you'll need to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

I haven't checked the battery yet, but it was recently serviced and had new battery cables replaced, but not the actual battery.

I'll check and post again, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Say its the battery. Happen to me before. Is it the original one. They usually last about 7 - 9 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Carstuck wrote: »
    Say its the battery. Happen to me before. Is it the original one. They usually last about 7 - 9 years

:eek:
    I'd never have a car battery down for that life span, 4 years at most to be honest.
    I reckon you'd have to really be pushing it for 9 years?

• Advertisement

My parent bought a new Hyundai Accent in 1999, used daily for short spins, battery lasted until Christmas / New Year just gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

SV wrote: »
    I'd never have a car battery down for that life span, 4 years at most to be honest.

I bought a new Ford in 1995 and didn't touch the battery until 2003. Wife had a new Toyota (2000) and battery only replaced in 2008. Second battery should do 2-4 years. Now have a 2003 (new) and battery perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The battery in my 735 lasted nearly 10 years. That kinda lifespan is an exception though, normally you can expect 3-4 years, anything more is a bonus!
    it was jump started and ran ok for a couple of miles, the engine was turned off and then when we went to re-start it, it wouldn't and just started this clicking noise.

You need more than a couple of miles for the battery to be charged up. Jump start it again and drive for 30 minutes before you try starting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

By the sound of that, it could be a starter motor problem and not necessary a battery problem as you say you have lights on the dash. Have a check of the starter motor and the alternator or ask a mechanic to check them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

Getting into your car and realising the batterys dead is one of the worst feelings ever. The security in the carpark outside my job (liffey valley) told me they spend between 2 and 3 hours a day jump starting peoples cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

clicking/ticking over is normally an alternator isnt it ?

either way - bring it to a mechanic - get it sorted and ...get back on the roads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Brabus wrote: »
    By the sound of that, it could be a starter motor problem and not necessary a battery problem as you say you have lights on the dash. Have a check of the starter motor and the alternator or ask a mechanic to check them for you.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    clicking/ticking over is normally an alternator isnt it ?

either way - bring it to a mechanic - get it sorted and ...get back on the roads :D
    The battery has enough power to bring the dash lights on. The clicking is the starter motor solenoid engaging - as this happens the current drawn in an attempt to turn the engine over causes the dash lights to dim, hence the flashing. First thing is to charge the battery so the car can be started, after that the OP will have to determine whether the battery's not getting charge or is just incapable of holding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

SV wrote: »

last battery we replaced .. 8.5 years ..170k miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Getting into your car and realising the batterys dead is one of the worst feelings ever. The security in the carpark outside my job (liffey valley) told me they spend between 2 and 3 hours a day jump starting peoples cars

Dont mention the war.
    Large car park, Dublin, free jump starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Thanks everyone for you advice.

I feel such a jelly brain, but it seems it was the battery - in fact the guy at the garage this morning laughed at my museum piece-1998-came-with-the-car battery LOL :D:D:D and the fact that I'd done over 100,000 miles on it didn't seem to register with me - never mind, the new battery is working a dream so far (I won't be running for mechanic of the year 2009 lmao).

Thanks again.:D

Advertisement