Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opportunities out of the viaduct collapse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

LeoB, Dublin bus should exploit this opportunity to bury IÉ commercially. Mrs Carrawaystick gets home in less time than the train took getting a 33X, including a longer time to get to Abbey St than the Pearse station in the evenings.

If she had a DBus only ticket, DB'd get all the fare, whereas with a bus/rail ticket, they get way less of only a little bit more fare.
    Especially in the case of Lusk and Rush, people'd be getting the bus from their own town and saving getting to the train station and paying for parking

Regarding the walkway idea.
    I thought the inside of the causeway was built up recently right beside the railway, the stone looks cleaner and newer. Ther'd need to be a pedestrian/cycling/emergency services capable bridge across the gap, disabled ramps down to the road at the Malahide side and access at the Donabate side and a fence to keep people off the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

trad wrote: »
    I didn't post that link as a joke. I see it as a real alternative to rail travel or in the current situation, no rail travel

http://www.hovertravel.co.uk/

There are plenty of passenger hovercraft in operation, speeds of up to 50mph if my memory serves me right, and as I've said before, no traffic lights.

for a country surrounded by water we make precious little use of it.

Know it was no joke - just wanted to make it clear to everybody else. I know there are regular hovercraft services - been on them from England to France before. My question was more referring to commuter traffic, most hovercraft I know of are used for international type travel. Are the running costs such that a Drogheda Dublin service could be viable price wise? Could it do stops on the way (I'm thinking specifically of Balbriggan). If it's do-able economically (and my gut-feel is that it is) then what's stopping anyone/any company doing it?

Advertisement