Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Laois

Options
  • 24-08-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey guys!:D

I'm moving with the family to Drim, near Moutrath in Laois this week and to my horror :eek: there seems to be no broadband providers in the area. Eircom's telling us its all dial-up out there. Our satellite provider is suggesting getting 3 Mobile, or Digiweb. Now I don't know too much about broadband providers but I think those are really unreliable and weak services, especially out there, am I right?

Any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

I'm moving with the family to Drim, near Moutrath in Laois this week and to my horror :eek: there seems to be no broadband providers in the area. Eircom's telling us its all dial-up out there. Our satellite provider is suggesting getting 3 Mobile, or Digiweb. Now I don't know too much about broadband providers but I think those are really unreliable and weak services, especially out there, am I right?

It looks like you are up in the Slieve Bloom mountains - in an NBS area. If you are unfortunate enough to be out of range for eircom in an NBS area, then you will probably never get real Broadband.

If there is any possibility of moving elsewhere, you probably should consider it immediately. It's a buyers/renters market for property, and you may still be able to opt out of your transaction and find another property in the same area, with Broadband and for a lower price. If you buy this property, you may never be able to sell it again.

Your best options are to get ISDN or Satellite. ISDN will give you low latency and better than dial-up speeds. ISDN is also very stable and probably much better than anything you will get from 3.

The NBS scheme states that you should be able to get subsidised Satellite for €20 per month if you can't get mobile 3G. It is very unlikely that 3 will meet the spec for NBS using 3G. (There is no recorded case of a single customer who is obtaining the NBS spec using 3G). If you keep the pressure on 3 and the Dept of Comms, you might be able to pressurise them to give you subsidised satellite. You should be warned, however, that there is also no recorded case of an NBS customer getting satellite, and the original planned satellite hasn't been launched yet. ....However you should be entitled to it under the terms of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

We have a couple of subscribers only a few miles away from where you are moving too.

Advertisement