Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

• 24-08-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Saw this mentioned in the Gael Force thread and thought it was well worth a bit of a push. Would love to do it myself but not sure the girlfriend would be too happy with me taking off for another weekend of adventure racing so soon after GF and Electric Picnic!

How are the numbers looking for this so far?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 25 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    84%
    yopHead The Wallpbull69vix.guyDogSlySmilefguinannerraw1111Wrecktrinewbieseanie500GoHardOrGoHomeGit101WonkagirltoomuchdetailTriptychwoody1ThisRegardmo_bhicycleKarageshSoilse 21 votes
    3 stars (average)
    16%
    EidothreeleggedhorsMr Freezeelchupanebrey 4 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    It looks like a "nice" event!! Would do the basic version of it, but am away with the wifey for the week before in Portugal so going to be hard to get any right training it.

There is a gang of 7/8 of us who now seem to be taken by this bug!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    I haven't signed up yet but might as well start a roll call!

Achill Roar

Yop?
    GoHard
    Dapope?
    PeterX
    add your name here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Would like to but Electric Picnic the week before pretty much rules me out for it.

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Would like to but Electric Picnic the week before pretty much rules me out for it.

Like you said: "the week before". You'll be grand! Go for it! I did the Total Experience Adventure Race in Blessington earlier this year organised by Brian Keogh and Paul Mahon Sean Murray and Kipper (open to correction on that) <corrected/> and it was brilliantly organised. You won't regret entering this!

4 stars (good)
    What's the craic with the swim? Is it a wetsuit swim or are speedos mandatory?

Bonus points for Borat-style mankini?

<edit> You don't have to swim. You can choose the sit on top kayak either. </edit>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

anyone know how `offroad` is the run. Ankles still haven`t forgiven me after g.f.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Achill Roar

Yop?
    GoHard
    Dapope registered
    PeterX
    add your name here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

To answer a few queries on the Achill Roar:

Q/ "What's the craic with the swim? Is it a wetsuit swim or are speedos mandatory? - -Wetsuit will not be mandatory.

Bonus points for Borat-style mankini?" - Yes- Prize not time bonus tho :D

Q/ "anyone know how `offroad` is the run."
    Starts on the the beach and heads up Minnaun so a mix of beach, grass, mountain and minimal amount of terrain.
    Sports class have a total climb of about 120m so not too challenging!

Expert class have a total climb of about 500m.
    All runnable (some quite slowly) for Elites and the descent is quite forgiving on ankles but even if you were to tumble you would likely have a soft landing.

Q/ "Like you said: "the week before". You'll be grand! Go for it! I did the Total Experience Adventure Race in Blessington earlier this year organised by Brian Keogh and Paul Mahon and Kipper (open to correction on that) and it was brilliantly organised. You won't regret entering this! "

Sean Murray was other main organiser of this race (As he has been for the past for the past 3 years) with Brian and Kipper- Paul was competing.

Same Sports and Expert format being used in Roar event to encourage those looking for different challenges to compete and enjoy

4 stars (good)
    Achill Roar

Yop?
    GoHard Registered
    Dapope registered
    PeterX
    add your name here!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    GoHardOrGoHome - Not sure yet, I am away from Sunday next to the following Monday in Portugal, not sure how much training I can/will get done in 38 degree heat at day and it was 28 degrees there late last nite! :)
    I am 90% sure I will do it. Just to get a few more looneys to do it with me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimer

I did GF last weekend and loved it even though I finished well (well!) down the order!! I am thinking of doing ROAR in the sports solo category now but just checking that there will lots of novices doing it and not just the mad people I saw bounding down the Reek on Saturday!!

4 stars (good)
    There will be definatly be a good few adventure race noobs doing it. I was in withdrawl there after GF, getting the buzz back now again after thinking that our gang will do Roar now also! :)

4 stars (good)
    yop wrote: »
    GoHardOrGoHome - Not sure yet, I am away from Sunday next to the following Monday in Portugal, not sure how much training I can/will get done in 38 degree heat at day and it was 28 degrees there late last nite! :)
    I am 90% sure I will do it. Just to get a few more looneys to do it with me! :)

You've done the training for Gaelforce. Consider it a three week taper to Achill Roar!

4 stars (good)
    You've done the training for Gaelforce. Consider it a three week taper to Achill Roar!

Lol aye, taper it will wine every nite and dinner lol :) I will be divorced by the time roar.ie comes around! :)

The numbers are growing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    Had planned a few sprint Triathlons in Sept (4-5 decent sprints in the west) but after my first GF I am thinking of a new direction or at least a pick n mix approach .
    The sports course in Roar may be more appropriate but can anyone tell me in comparision to GF how difficult would the expert be ?
    I am an average 7-10mile distance runner and am comfortable even if I lack the balls for speed for 30k + on a bike .
    Learnt from GF that distance/speed count for almost nothing .
    Theres always the Louisburg/Westport half marathon .

4 stars (good)
    Had planned a few sprint Triathlons in Sept (4-5 decent sprints in the west) but after my first GF I am thinking of a new direction or at least a pick n mix approach .
    The sports course in Roar may be more appropriate but can anyone tell me in comparision to GF how difficult would the expert be ?
    I am an average 7-10mile distance runner and am comfortable even if I lack the balls for speed for 30k + on a bike .
    Learnt from GF that distance/speed count for almost nothing .
    Theres always the Louisburg/Westport half marathon .

Unfortunately not possible to gauge the 2 as this is the first Roar. I think you could chance the expert with that mileage under your belt.

4 stars (good)
    still only managed GF in 6hrs 10 . all the wrong sort of training and prep but thats why it gets in on you I suspect and thats why it is such fun.
    Just dont want to do the sports ROAR and when I finish and feel as if I only had the appetizer and want more .
    Not that serious though only a plodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

im entered :) gunna give the "expert" course a go :eek: gunna try swimming instead of kayaking...really looking4ward to it...am going electric picnic wkend b4 too so no excuses! haha :P

4 stars (good)
    Signed up for the expert ...looking forward to it ,still trying to shake GF from the legs

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    mymojo wrote: »
    im entered :) gunna give the "expert" course a go :eek: gunna try swimming instead of kayaking...really looking4ward to it...am going electric picnic wkend b4 too so no excuses! haha :P

Did you say you came 3rd in Gaelforce?! You might take top spot in Achill!

If I could swim better I think the swim option might be the best.

4 stars (good)
    Achill Roar

GoHard
    Dapope
    PeterX
    TooMuchDetail
    MyMojo
    FirstTimer?
    Yop?
    add your name here!
    firsttimer wrote: »
    I did GF last weekend and loved it even though I finished well (well!) down the order!! I am thinking of doing ROAR in the sports solo category now but just checking that there will lots of novices doing it and not just the mad people I saw bounding down the Reek on Saturday!!

Go on FirstTimer. I reckon the expert distance will probably be *slightly* easier than Gaelforce because there's no Croagh Patrick style climb/descent in it. It does have the longer cycle 44k though and the 16k run is significant enough.

If you survived Gaelforce then the Sport Class would be handy enough for you I reckon. Due to the numbers I reckon it'll be a much more intimate and non-intimidating race.

4 stars (good)
    Thats me signed in anyway, a week in Portugal will really help me won't it!!! I think I might be still last in the boards.ie list!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimer

Does anyone know how hilly both the cycle and run sections are - in comparison to the cycle section of GF for example?

4 stars (good)
    Not sure and I would have the same type question , dont know achill that well , I see the trail run has a 500m climb which is fine as long as its over the 15km distance and not over 2-3km !
    May take a trip up to Achill over the next week to take a look, but I am sure that GF is unique and that the reek will prepare you for anything . I completed GF in 6hrs approx and from an email with the Roar people they reckon that the Roar course could be completed by me in 5hrs so it must be a little easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Achill Roar

GoHard
    Dapope
    PeterX
    TooMuchDetail
    MyMojo
    Yop
    CKWPORT - Registered
    FirstTimer?

Done GF last weekend, I haven't trained since, going to do a few runs this week. I have only signed up for the solo anyways.

EDIT: TooMuchDetail, when is the Louisburg/Westport half marathon on?

4 stars (good)
    Louisburg/Westport half marathon this weekend ,Sunday [EMAIL="6th@11am"]6th@11am[/EMAIL] , nice course some long hills but nothing too bad, some nice downhills to make up for it .
    Nice training run for Roar !!! as I would be out on the roads anyway.
    Would have been nice if there was more publicity on it as I only seen it 2 weeks ago on runireland.com.(where you can enter) .
    A nice scenic plod...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Louisburg/Westport half marathon this weekend ,Sunday 6th@11am , nice course some long hills but nothing too bad, some nice downhills to make up for it .
    Nice training run for Roar !!! as I would be out on the roads anyway.
    Would have been nice if there was more publicity on it as I only seen it 2 weeks ago on runireland.com.(where you can enter) .
    A nice scenic plod...

Cheers, I know the road well anyways, I am from westport too, didn't know when it was on, haven't seen one add or flyer for it.

If I did that, I wouldn't be fit for roar, I had bad shin splints a while back and a half marathon is too risky before roar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

from IMRA forum;

Just to let IMRA folk know that there are only a small number of places (16)left in the Expert category and 5 in the Expert Relay for this race on 12th Sept so if intending to do the event please register via www.roar.ie as numbers will be capped at 150 per category.
    The Sports category has already been filled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SavannahRose

Any people new to Triathlon/adventure racing doing Achill Roar? Bit nervous seen all the posts from people that did Gael Force doing it too. Since its my first one tho I'm looking forward to it and aim to finish!!

4 stars (good)
    Any people new to Triathlon/adventure racing doing Achill Roar? Bit nervous seen all the posts from people that did Gael Force doing it too. Since its my first one tho I'm looking forward to it and aim to finish!!

I think with the exception of 3-4 hardcore guys here the rest of us are in unknown territory so your welcome....
    those 3-4 hardcore guys are good for picking up tips/advice from so use them when you can.
    This year is mid life crisis year for me so apart from 4 previous sprint tri's since April and 1 GF i had done nothing really before that ,except expand.

If GF's anything to go by you/we will be welcomed , I signed up for the expert and just hope to finish before dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Having avoided being coerced into doing GF for the last few years( Hate CP with a passion) I have been dumb enough to take up the Roar Challenge.
    Ridden plenty of Sportives this year and Hillwalk plenty but I only run 1 8km a year will I be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

The ROAR is a perfect starter/intro race into the world of adventure racing. The race organisers have designed it as such. So you'll all be very welcomed I'm sure.

Esroh, that's a better background than I had when I started adventure racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SavannahRose

Great feedback! Really looking forward to it, have done an 8k few months ago but just running 5 to 6 k mostly now . The rest will hopefully fall into place on the day. Signed four my friends up too so all training hard!! The after party will be more than welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

Just registered for Expert Solo for the Achill Roar. Only a few places left. Did Gaelforce West in 5hrs 47min, have done shag all training since....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EimearSF

Anyone interested/mad enough to swap sport entry for expert???
    I had to enter expert as the sport category sold out, but as I am totally new to adventure racing and haven't done much running recently (did GF, but took me 7.5 hours...) I fear I may be under-estimating the challenge/over-estimating my ability:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

EimearSF, I will swap with you. I know 1 or two others that are in the sports that would like to go for the expert category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EimearSF

Hi Sniipe - you have no idea how happy that post just made me:) Just went for run at lunchtime and each step was filled with dread at the thought of how much further (and higher!) I would have to go on Achill...So now down to business, do I ring the organisers to arrange? You can PM me Thx

I have your email. please remove it from the fourm (because u mite get spammed). I'll email u in the next few min

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Achill Roar

GoHard
    Dapope
    PeterX
    TooMuchDetail
    MyMojo
    Yop
    CKWPORT - Registered
    FirstTimer?
    Dunebuggy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aliveandkickin

First year doing tri's and adventure races ( majorly unfit smoker xmas 08 although only 23), done GF and said to myself thats it you deserve a break now for a month. Said that the sunday after gael force. Read the article in one of the papers the next week about GF and it mentioned Achill roar. 30 minutes later i found myself signed up for that too. When you get bitten by this bug it becomes your life. I love it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DiscoverIreland

Hey,

Im doing achill roar in the coming week. Cant wait. first time for everything. Doing expert level with kayaking.
    Just wondering what essential items should i bring. Which I may overlook.
    Is it a big nte out aswell in achill that night following the adventure race? Stayin there for the weekend. Roll on next sat. hope the weather is good.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Huckleberry23

Does anybody know the route of the run/hike, as we are still waiting for it to be put up on the website.

The website will probably be updated today with the route...

DiscoverIreland if you are doing the expert have a look at the FAQ on the site: http://www.roar.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=56

But to highlight and if you want to get the best out of yourself try and have the following:
    Road bike, helmet, 1 or 2 drink bottles
    trail runners seem to be whats advised for running (these are different to road runners and can give a big advantage especially if its wet on the day)
    A bag that contains your survival kit and have it containing some food and drink.

I will probably be camping in Achill that weekend. Fingers crossed it won't be too wet, its too early to look at the weather forecast.

Achill Roar

GoHard
    Dapope
    PeterX
    TooMuchDetail
    MyMojo
    Yop
    CKWPORT
    FirstTimer?
    Dunebuggy
    Sniipe

In terms of what to bring here's the bare minimum list lifted from the roar site;

Basic first aid kit (Minimum: 1 x Dressing Pad for heavy bleeding (field dressing); 1 x bandage, plasters)
    Survival bag or foil blanket
    Energy food and drink
    Bicycle helmet for cycling section[/LIST]

Other Items that may be required for the Expert Run Section are
    Gloves
    Hat (Buff Headwear or equivalent IS sufficient)*
    Spare fleece shirt*
    Water-proof top with Taped seams
    Water-proof bottoms
    Small rucksack or suitable bumbag
    We'll let you know at Registration whether these items are needed - weather forecast dependent.
    You must bring all mandatory equipment to registration

4 stars (good)
    Just had a super week in Portugal "training" :) Have to say trying to run in 30 degrees + is some fun!!!!! But the reward of nice dinners will really stand to me *cough cough* on race day!!!!!! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Entry Lists for all categories now up on www.roar.ie

Swim is confirmed as in the lake - open choice on wetsuit or not :confused:

If you think you can swim 800m in a fresh water lake without a wetsuit then you will save the time it takes to take the wetsuit off and carry it to transition. Presumably swimming with a wetsuit on is quicker then without and it will keep you warmer so you have a choice.

My choice was to use a kayak:)

It will be interesting to see how this works out, despite their best efforts either the kayakers or the swimmers will have a time advantage as it's unlikely they tested the course with a swimmer and kayaker of exactly the same ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

Does anyone know what the swim and paddle distances are yet?

4 stars (good)
    The swim and paddle distances have been confirmed on the website at 400m/1.3km and 800m/2.6km respectively .

Any advice on the Kayak ? apart for GF I have never Kayak'd before . Is their an advantage on a 1 man kayak over 2 man , is it realisic to be able to handle a 1 man kayak with no exp ?
    What sort of time would and average Joe do the 2.6km kayak in ?
    It seems to be a little like GF in that it is everyman for himself at the kayak stage so I assume theres is a little bit of luck in who we get teamed up with (or who is stuck with me !!)
    Had originaly planned the 800m swim and would have hoped for under 20mins but GF and the Wesport half marathon last week has sucked the life out of the legs so opted for the preceived easier option.
    No sign of a map yet so lets hope is all down hill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement