Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

3 stars (average)
    Yeah, well done all, weather made it even tougher. It was my first 65km race, I done the 32km Connemara one in May. Just a couple of points though.

I think the Connemara race was a little better organized. I didn't like the fact that we were meeting the sports group while coming down the hill, it's hard enough trying to not break your ankle without avoiding people coming in the opposite direction.
    Soup and bread at the end of the Connemara race was divine, fruit and sandwiches didn't cut it for me.
    The medal at the end of the Connemara race was a nice little momento, nothing from Achill roar.
    Felt bad for the guys in the overturned kayak, was very surprised there was no engine boat in the lake, i'd say they had to wait a while to get helped back on.
    My mate had to stop to help a guy who done his ankle in, when he tried to ring the contact number there was no coverage, mast or no mast at the top of the hill.

The scenery in Achill though was quite spectacular. If they just tweaked those few things it'd be a fantastic competition imo. Might give Gaelforce a blast next year. Hopefully I'll get to do way more training next time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

do they have results up yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

nicely done event. Finished 4hr 56min; 8 min slower than last year. Was considering not doing it when I work up from the camp site. Lost my innov8 bottle at the early part of the climb (anyone spot it?) was dehydrated from then until the bike. Mild cramping all the way on the bike, but didn't fully cramp thank god. Met Snailsong twice and at the end of the route and a few hello's from guys who noticed the boards jersey.

The water at the top of the mountain last year was great - pity it wasn't there this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

4 stars (good)
    Savage race - tough conditions, great course and organization...Full report to follow..Im shattered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Brilliant day out i have to say! We (sports 12 o'clock start) were blessed with the weather, really picked up by then, tho still a strong head wind. Came in in 2.13.10 very happy with that was expecting over 2.30.

Only problem I really had was with the Kayaks. Far too many out at the same time, Was making great speed on the water only for someone to crash in to me totally killing my momentum! Piss up want great either, bit too packed and everyone seemed to know each other so hard to get talking to people! Still got wasted tho:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Fantastic race from my perspective! Decided to try my hardest and came in in 3.07 which is a huge improvement from the 6.05 I did in the connemara challenge which was similar distance :D:D

I have established its my running thats doing the biggest damage to my race so going to concentrate on that i think.

I thought it was really well signposted & loved the fact there was a party after. Lots of people did know eachother but I still managed to talk mainly to people I didnt know which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    Well done all! Super weekend, well done to paul & brian for another excellent event.

They have a different event management style completely to the gaelforce crowd, so its hard to compare the roar/GF events. These lads are much more relaxed in general, and generally assume those taking part will exercise adult smarts.. which i like, personally..

did it in 2'09 and was well pleased with that. struggled with the run for some reason, but was the 16th female over the line so happy all in all.. only 6 mins off the podium- so that's my aim for next yr.

only boardie i met was enduro, he cracked up when i revealed myself, asking me how i held down a job with the amt of time i spend on boards art:D Got some great tips from him and he really motivated me to start some serious training, in particular on the hills.. gloves are off now!

i've nothing planned until oct 30th- the glendalough 15km run- anybody got any interesting adventure race thingies in the meantime? need to continue the buzz!

hungover to the hilt today, i'd say i hoovered 15 vodkas easily last nite.. ended up boozing in our b&b with some other lads we met who had beers- and raiding the kitchen at 6am to make ham and cheese sandwiches! WRECKED today after the 4 hour drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Again a great event, well Done to Kipper Brian and Paul !! Its a great race, a great weekend with a great bunch of people... highly recommended!!!

Wonkagirl wrote: »

i've nothing planned until oct 30th- the glendalough 15km run- anybody got any interesting adventure race thingies in the meantime? need to continue the buzz!

Are you not doing the war? I am down for the sport class...feeling very motivated myself today :)

Also dont forget the runamuck challenge on the 16th october - v short but was really good fun last time!
    Well done on coming 16th female :)

http://www.splitsbrowser.org.uk/index.php

Results are up here :)

Delighted that overall I came 435th but my last cycle was actually 329th :) getting better on my bike!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    That was brilliant! Too wrecked for a proper report but loved the event and Achill itself, will definitely be back for more.

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    Are you not doing the war? I am down for the sport class...feeling very motivated myself today :)

Also dont forget the runamuck challenge on the 16th october - v short but was really good fun last time!
    Well done on coming 16th female :)

thanks Fi- will take a look at war now, forgot about that one! feeling v motivated too!!

well done to you too, you definitely sound like you are making clear progress.

i got chatting to the girl who won this morning- derval- she has definitely convinced me to join a tri club and to do some mountain running.. i'm on a mission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    2:15 dont think i couldve taken much off it seconds here and there... the wind was tough on the bike was convinced my brakes had jammed on the back wheel at one stage bike was so much harder to push than normal fairly happy with that overall very well organised...had a little woody ( toy story ) keyring to tie to the bag for identification bit forgot it at the last minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Top class event. Report to follow. Wrecked today. That padraig fella is some man. Incredible time.

Found expert tougher than GF. The wind was heart breaking at times with the result that the downhill sections required effort

Yeah, he's an animal alright :)

Well done everyone...esp those in expert, my heart went out to yee having to do that cycle back to the finish in the wind!!!

Only met This Regard....was on my post race buzz and nattering about how crap i was in GF and he just turned around and asked was i wearing a pink top under my jacket :) heheh!

good detective work jeff & nice to meet ya! :D

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    .. That padraig fella is some man. Incredible time.

a beast! i've been checking out his website- very impressive.

he does all sorts of biking training. maybe we could have a boards biking training weekend with him in the spring? i'm sure he'd travel to dublin if enough people signed up

http://www.marreytrainingsystems.com/

I was so glad i chose to do sports. everyone who did expert said the wind was like nothing they'd ever experienced- buddy of mine (i reckon he's 14 stone or so) was blown right off his bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    All I can say is, Gaelforce, you're only a little kitten compared to the beast that was out there Saturday ! Bloody bloody tough race, the wind broke my heart on the Cycle back to Keel. I was on my own coming up that last long hill and I was looking forward to the coast into the finish once I reached the peak but the wind wasn't having any of that. Thankfully two lads working together caught me so I tucked in with them which made it so much easier. 4.31 for me, had a good run but died a death or two on the bike, must check my splits tomorrow, on a phone now so that site won't open.

It was a brilliantly organised event and the water, sandwiches and several cups of tea were a gift at the end. I met Fi briefly at the finish and it was probably you Sniipe I said hello to on the run to the kayak. Popped up to the presentation later, good atmosphere but had to get little ThisRegard home.

that could be a plan alright :) gives me time for some training & to maybe get a new bike so i wont be on the mountain bike too ...have promised myself if i train until christmas i will ask santa for a cyclocross one :)

If you decide to do the war let me know cause myself and my mate are planning on heading to wicklow next sunday to scout it out if you fancy coming along!

4 stars (good)
    that could be a plan alright :) gives me time for some training & to maybe get a new bike so i wont be on the mountain bike too ...have promised myself if i train until christmas i will ask santa for a cyclocross one :)

If you decide to do the war let me know cause myself and my mate are planning on heading to wicklow next sunday to scout it out if you fancy coming along!

thanks fi- just checked the war dates and i'm in spain that wend.. shame. looking at imra site tho, and considering westort sea to summit, altho i really dont think i could face the long drive west so soon after GF/roar!

No worries! thats a pity. am thinking of the sea 2 summit myself. i think it would be good to do a race with lots of smaller bits to try and get faster :)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Only met This Regard....nice to meet ya! :D

You too, never spotted you afterwards though, probably because my head was stuck in cups of tea for a while from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

4 stars (good)
    Hey - Im having problems with Java applets on cant see the results page on splitsbrowser, can anybody post up splits for top 10 in expert race ? Cheers !

4 stars (good)
    yeah i cant get it either trin, dowloaded java and the applets are still not working.. annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Karagesh

4 stars (good)
    The races either side of the Achill Roar are working on splitsbrowser. Probably be sorted tomorrow.

Yeah was working fine earlier but i cant work it now :( Probably be fixed tomorrow or maybe they wanted to hold them until they can get the website up!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    Again and as expected great event, hats off to all the lads for organising it, pity the weather wasn't the best but still cracking!

Didn't hit my 1.57 and was 6 rotten seconds over the 2 hours!!!! Disgusted, also lost my Inov8 bottle on the stones of the beach just after the river, fair annoyed as I only bought it on Wednesday :)

Again the running let me down but the bike was my strongest getting it done in 51 mins, passed many a poor soul on mountain and hybrids :)

The run was a dog with the river for fun :)

Kayaks on the way back were well hard, got crashed into a few times :)

Sorry if I passed any boardsies on the bike, I didn't see any 'B's on the numbers ;)

whats the purpose of yer man half way through the biking section with the dibber. Why is that neccessary? kinda killed the momentum a bit on the bike

4 stars (good)
    Probably to make sure you complete the full course and don't take a couple of short cuts or jump in the back of a car. There was no momentum to loose by me at the location on the expert route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Feeling wrecked after the race. Here's a brief report for anyone interested. Apologies in advance if its long and pointless.

Felt good before the start, still half wishing I was in the sport tho. I had two jackets and changed my mind about which one to wear 3 times before the off. Went with the lighter not-really-waterproof one in the end. Got in the kayak with a pleasant girl from Dungarvan called Paula. She was much better at it than me so we made ok time despite getting rammed twice by two lads who were out of control of their vessel. If you're reading this, Paula, then sorry for slowing you down.
    The run started out ok, I wasn't trying to break any records. I met Sniipe running along the beach and chatted with him a while before going ahead as we started the climb. When I got to the ridge I picked up the pace a little only to slip and fall rather heavily. Thanks to the guy coming next who picked me up and dusted me off. I took a right knock on my upper thigh, right on my quadrecep and it was pretty sore from then on. I could feel every step jarring. Walked a bit and forced myself into a slow run eventually. Went to the ambulance at the summit but they were little help, all they could offer was a cream to rub on it. I had spilled what was left of my drink when I tumbled but they could not offer me more than a mouthful. Sniipe passed at this point and he stopped to ask if i was ok. He'd lost his water also but he got the same help as me.

I hobbled on but the descent was slow through a combination of pain and caution. Towards the bottom everyone was flying past, many of them were the quicker of the sport competitors, I guess. At this stage I didn't know how I'd feel on the bike so not finishing was a real possibility.

Running along the beach I developed some rythym again and managed to catch up with Sniipe again. By now I expect that I was pretty close to last.

Got on the bike and immediately felt better. The leg was still sore but manageable. Started passing people immediately, most of them in the sport probably. After the two cycles diverged I was still moving up so I felt a lot better about the event by then. From Cloghmore on the wind was an absolute beetch, the hills were pretty savage also. On the last 5k into Keel it was very tough, i didn't have much left in the tank, certainly the hardest downhill stretch I've ever done. Finally got to the bike rack and barely managed a first gear run accross the line. 4.51 which won't win any prizes but in the circumstances I was delighted. 149th overall I believe so I probably picked up 50 places on the cycle. Sniipe finished about 5 minutes after me, he was surprised he hadn't passed me on the bike. He must have picked up a lot of places too. One person, an attractive young lady, passed me and stayed ahead on the cycle. I guess she wins the 'bad run, good cycle' award.

The tea and sandwiches were welcome at the finish, I hung around a while and watched some more finishers. Everyone seemed to literally fall accross the line, wrecked after that brutal cycle. I chatted with Sniipe and his wife, good to meet you both and I'll see you at future events.

Overall I had a great day. The organisation was excellent. Met and chatted with quite a few people on the way around. The atmosphere was very good. Fair play to the guy on the PA who seemed to keep going all day, he was rather hoarse by the end.

Conparing with Gaelforce, the Roar was probably tougher, partly due to the conditions. I liked the looped nature of the course. I saw the elites 3 times, at the start, coming down the mountain and I was at the finish when Padraig won. Then I met the first lady (Derval) and senior vet man(Noel) as they approached the finish on the bikes.

Would have liked to meet some more boardsies but with people doing the sport and me heading home straight after this wasn't easy.

Wonkagirl, you should get a special prize for keeping going til 6am. Now that's what I call endurance:D. I don't plan to do the sea to summit as I have a feeling it will be an absolute penance but if you do come to Westport for it I'll try hard to meet you all.

Today I'm limping a bit but I reckon I'll be back in the saddle before long.

I'll be back in Achill this time next year trying for 4.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

who were the winners ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Probably to make sure you complete the full course and don't take a couple of short cuts or jump in the back of a car. There was no momentum to loose by me at the location on the expert route.

HE was at the top of a hill for the sports but the wind was against us. When I got to him there was about 4 people there so had to stop and take my feet out of the toe clips etc. At least there was a downhill on the other side!:o

yop wrote: »
    Sorry if I passed any boardsies on the bike, I didn't see any 'B's on the numbers ;)

I had a B on my number but no one commented. I suppose it was covered up by my jacket mostly. Sniipe said he saw you, toomuchdetail and CK. I should know you all as I'm in westport. I'll try to hook up for training or whatever when I decide my next event.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    snailsong wrote: »
    I had a B on my number but no one commented. I suppose it was covered up by my jacket mostly. Sniipe said he saw you, toomuchdetail and CK. I should know you all as I'm in westport. I'll try to hook up for training or whatever when I decide my next event.

Had you! Thats a shame, aye myself and CK and Toomuchdetail were in the same wave at 11.
    Once the cycling group finish up in 3 or 4 weeks I will be concentrating on the running and try and learn to swim! :)

4 stars (good)
    thehamo wrote: »
    HE was at the top of a hill for the sports but the wind was against us. When I got to him there was about 4 people there so had to stop and take my feet out of the toe clips etc. At least there was a downhill on the other side!:o

Thats was certainly a pain for sure as I was in the cycling shoes :)

Passed a lad with a pink teddy on his backpack, I would have swore I read on here that a lad posted in the GF thread had a pink teddy, so I said it to the lad "Are you a boardsie", he looked a big confused so I kept going lol.

Loved that hill before we took the left off the Keel road, 68kmph, dont you just love the wind :D

Had you! Thats a shame, aye myself and CK and Toomuchdetail were in the same wave at 11.
    Once the cycling group finish up in 3 or 4 weeks I will be concentrating on the running and try and learn to swim! :)

Actually thinking of learning to swim (properly) myself. I can cycle ok and I run much better on the road than on mountains. A good friend does lots of tri's but I'm a useless swimmer. We even have family membership at the pool so I've no excuse.

Do the coveys stop for the winter? Was pplanning of going with them soon.

• Advertisement

Loved that hill before we took the left off the Keel road, 68kmph, dont you just love the wind :D

Was that hill on the expert too? I did 55 and thought I was about to take off. 68 is savage:pac:

4 stars (good)
    Wed spins will be stopping ya, but your best bet would be to come out with us on a Wednesday to see what you think, its a nice 40km spin. We leave the car park there at the railway track there near the garden centre on the West road.

Sundays are longer but the pace isn't too bad. Took me a few weeks to get to the pace but the Sunday spins will continue, not sure when they finish up to be honest with you but I would say that its probably November. But I wouldn't know that to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

3 stars (average)

Loved the wind at that point, though I only got up to 59kmh, the wind was a mare for the second half of the cycle yesterday, way tougher than last year. No harm to do an event in tough conditions though, it had to happen sometime.

Was in the kayak with ckwport, we nearly capsized right at the start, what a sickener that woulda been. Luckily we stabilised and struggled on, and aside from being sideswiped a few times got through it ok.

Didnt have my speedo on so dont know what speed I got up to, but i can tell ya it was fast! Overtook about 3 people in the process! Cycle was brilliant with the wind on the back, though had it in the back of my mind that were gonna be facing it at some stage!

Wed spins will be stopping ya, but your best bet would be to come out with us on a Wednesday to see what you think, its a nice 40km spin. We leave the car park there at the railway track there near the garden centre on the West road.

Sundays are longer but the pace isn't too bad. Took me a few weeks to get to the pace but the Sunday spins will continue, not sure when they finish up to be honest with you but I would say that its probably November. But I wouldn't know that to be honest.

What time do ye meet on wed and sun? I think i know some of the guys. Been meaning to go for a while but reckon I'd find it hard to match the pace. I'm off on wed but I've been promising Mrs, Snailsong that I'd do some tiling since before Gaelforce:).

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    thehamo wrote: »
    had it in the back of my mind that were gonna be facing it at some stage!

Unfortunately this never dawned on me at all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    toomuchdetail and CK. I should know you all as I'm in westport. I'll try to hook up for training or whatever when I decide my next event.

Knee clicking like a light switch , never seen it as bad so no training for a while, had to walk up and down the hill but was able to run the beach .

Knee in a bad way today , knee keeps buckling from under me. Still managed 2:10 on the sports , an easy 15-18 mins + can come off next time that I reckon .
    Loved the cycle , picked off about 25 on this , lost the speedo from the bike on the loose chippings and my water bottle about 5km from home.

Couldn't get my trail shoes off in transition as I couldn't bend - 5mins+ in transition, putting on/taking off shoes . The things we take for granted !!

The marshals were great but from the answers to the "how many miles left questions" the cycle seemed to be getting longer with every mile completed .

I both envied and wanted to console those in the expert , took a lot of balls and was tougher than the conditions we had for it last year.

The event yesterday was the best overall event by a ROAR this year:D

3 stars (average)
    What time do ye meet on wed and sun? I think i know some of the guys. Been meaning to go for a while but reckon I'd find it hard to match the pace. I'm off on wed but I've been promising Mrs, Snailsong that I'd do some tiling since before Gaelforce:).

Meet at around half six on a weds at treelands on the west road, sunday mornigs I think it's still at nine a.m. at the clock. This will change to half nine, then ten as the winter progresses.

The weds spin will be stopping soon due to the shorter evenings, and afaik the sunday spin will take the route used on a weds for the winter. Is this right CK.

Pace wise we all got destroyed our first time or two out, got dropped in murrisk/lecanvey at start of cycle, don't overdo the work at the front your first couple times and you'll be sound.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

4 stars (good)
    Great event first time taking part in one of these events with such wet conditions so was happy enough. Again it was my running that let me down loved the scenery and atmospherreAnyone know the storey of the guy seeming to do it barefoot passed him on my way down the hill and again as he overtook me barefoot on the bike?

Meet at around half six on a weds at treelands on the west road, sunday mornigs I think it's still at nine a.m. at the clock. This will change to half nine, then ten as the winter progresses.

The weds spin will be stopping soon due to the shorter evenings, and afaik the sunday spin will take the route used on a weds for the winter. Is this right CK.

Pace wise we all got destroyed our first time or two out, got dropped in murrisk/lecanvey at start of cycle, don't overdo the work at the front your first couple times and you'll be sound.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks, elchup. Hadn't planned on doing any of the work, just hanging on at the back like a parasite:).

4 stars (good)
    Have to say well done to some of the lads on here, looking at the results we (as in Boardsies) had finisher in 4th, 5th and 38th. Cracking times lads.

I wont say who as it would identify the lads, up to themselves if they want to ;)

Thanks for covering the cycling times there elchupanebrey

Passed a barefoot guy on the beach running with his shoes in his hands. i assumed he had blisters...dont know if its the same guy :)

3 stars (average)
    Thanks, elchup. Hadn't planned on doing any of the work, just hanging on at the back like a parasite:).

You'll fit right in so:pac:

3 stars (average)
    Soilse wrote: »
    barefoot on the bike?

Tough man obviously, or very hard on shoes:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mooseygoat

does anyone know when they will be putting up the pics organisers took.

• Advertisement
Advertisement