Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    wont need bag for gael force need jet pack ! , anyway i think this particular part of the conversation is getting a bit serious and putting a downer on things, on what was an excellently run very enjoyable race and weekend out in general... so seen as i started it im requesting no more comments re gear etc... and lets all get back to analysing our particular days to death and trying to squeeze non existent seconds out of our times...
    fair play to all here on their times..particularly wonkagirl who seems to be getting very close to winning something very soon... wish i could say the same...
    and to add my thanks to everyone for their advice throughout the year prior to may i hadnt raced at all never mind done an adventure race.. so the advice was invaluable...
    better half is trying to convince me to do sea to summit ( its close to home ) but ive been aiming and concentrating on this all year so i cant really motivate myself for it at the mo... plus itl be freezing...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    there should be a kit check at registration. If anyone then decides not to bring the kit and gets injured, good luck to them. I don't care what anyone's personal opinion is on whether it's really needed.

Man I'm angry today, Monday blues after a great weekend :rolleyes::D

yeah, but these guys (brian and paul) operate on the basis that everyone's an adult.. having a kit check at registration goes against that. i love their relaxed, yet controlled style. as opposed to the nazi element which prevails in gaelforce.

my judgement was that i was happy to leave my kit on my bike- and i still maintain that was the right thing to do. had i done the expert course, i would have carried it with me though on the run.

4 stars (good)
    woody1 wrote: »
    better half is trying to convince me to do sea to summit ( its close to home ) but ive been aiming and concentrating on this all year so i cant really motivate myself for it at the mo... plus itl be freezing...

yeah i'm a bit unsure about this one as well, for the cold factor. i'd like to do it to keep momentum going but am tending to vere towards the shorter one, at least you dont summit CP on that one.. i'd be interested to see what kind of a show padraig marrey puts on if nothing else, and also a wend in westport is always welcome! i'll wait until later in oct to decide, have a 15km trail run in glendalough on oct 30 thats going to be my focus from now until then, lots of my buddies taking part so i'll want to do a good time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    I'm with you on the wasting time front...for some reason i thought it would be a good plan to take off shoes & socks and wring them out after the kayak. .

Think most of us felt that pain : Thats why they call transition the 4th sport in Triathlon , most elites can be out of a wetsuit and on bike and kitted in 60 sec's.

4 stars (good)
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    May- connemara adventure challenge
    June- wicklow roar
    July- tulfarris10
    aug- gaelforce
    sept- achill roar.

Can you Swim Wonkagirl? if you are you should look at TriAthy or TriAthlone to add them to your CV, There is a great starter Tri in Nenagh in April thats pool based for the swim .
    There is also the Connemara half/full which is expensive but keeps you honest over the winter.

4 stars (good)
    thanks TMD, that nenagh one sounds like a good entry tri..

yeah i can swim- swam competitively in school and was quite good, gave up when i discovered boys and drink (and the fact that i suspected i was getting big shouders:D).

ive not done a tri yet, but have heard the ARs have a better atmosphere in general.. im going to join pulse tri club in jan though and have a bash at a few of them, see how i like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Well done to all on Saturday. I was in the Sport - 2.15. Was completely undone by being on a hybrid, and the fact that I was crippled by cramp on the cycle. Why is it that I can run fine, can cycle fine, but try doing one after the other and my hamstrings are having none of it??? I felt strong after the run, but had only gone about 3k on the bike when the cramps started. I was well hydrated (lots of water, dioralyte, etc), but to no avail. Anyone any thoughts on those compression socks??

I just want to say a word of thanks to the guy that helped me stretch my legs half way through the cycle - I had to get off the bike and he was a big help at that stage.

Even though I feel worse today than I did on the Monday after GF, I really enjoyed the event. Achill is the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Maybe its something to do with the size of your bike or shoes - might be worth getting fitted or something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    Well done to all on Saturday. I was in the Sport - 2.15. Was completely undone by being on a hybrid, and the fact that I was crippled by cramp on the cycle. Why is it that I can run fine, can cycle fine, but try doing one after the other and my hamstrings are having none of it??? I felt strong after the run, but had only gone about 3k on the bike when the cramps started. I was well hydrated (lots of water, dioralyte, etc), but to no avail. Anyone any thoughts on those compression socks??

I just want to say a word of thanks to the guy that helped me stretch my legs half way through the cycle - I had to get off the bike and he was a big help at that stage.

Even though I feel worse today than I did on the Monday after GF, I really enjoyed the event. Achill is the business.

Cramping is a strange one to figure, I can do 90km on the bike, no cramp, do 20km on the run, no cramp but in Gaelforce, Connemara, Achill last year i cramped to death.
    Until Saturday!!! First time ever I didn't cramp, why I didn't, maybe its just fitness.
    But what I did different, I took Nuun tabs for 2 days previous and then 2 hrs before the race, as per P Mahons advice ;) I took a Dyrolite powder.
    Outside of that I did no different.

4 stars (good)
    Maybe its something to do with the size of your bike or shoes - might be worth getting fitted or something.

yeah definitely worth getting a bike fit- i noticed on padraig marreys site that it's one of the services they offer.. i reckon my bike is the wrong build completely, does anyone know of the best place in dublin to get it checked? i get pains across the top of my back if im on the bike for longer than 30 mins, but again, maybe that's lack of practice

men seem to suffer from cramps a lot more than women so there must be something in the physiological make up of men that make them more prone.. ive never had a cramp in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    yop wrote: »
    Cramping is a strange one to figure, I can do 90km on the bike, no cramp, do 20km on the run, no cramp but in Gaelforce, Connemara, Achill last year i cramped to death.
    Until Saturday!!! First time ever I didn't cramp, why I didn't, maybe its just fitness.
    But what I did different, I took Nuun tabs for 2 days previous and then 2 hrs before the race, as per P Mahons advice ;) I took a Dyrolite powder.
    Outside of that I did no different.

Exact same as myself ! Cramped at Gaelforce so for the few days coming up to Achill I was drinking Nuuns and had a pint that morning. After the run I threw a pack of dyrolite into my nuuns at transition and after the uphill stretch out of Keel I could feel it in one calf so I drank half that mix and was fine from then on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    yeah definitely worth getting a bike fit- i noticed on padraig marreys site that it's one of the services they offer..QUOTE]

Said man fitted my bike and it still didn't solve the problem for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 DG22

just checked results finished 113th overall bloody made up happy days delighted the pain was def worth it roll on war...............:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

I'll try and increase the Nuun / dioralyte intake for S2S to see how that helps. It is incredibly frustrating - I find that worse than the actual pain. Was also thinking of trying those compression socks to see if they help...

Was at a training camp and there was some discussion of nuun & dyoralite and there was a doctor there who said to be careful of overdoing to electrolytes too as your body only needs so many. Theres potassium in them so if you take them at too high a concentrate it could have bad effect.

I dont really know about these things but it was said so i thought i would pass i t on given the discussion of electrolyte loading :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Exact same as myself ! Cramped at Gaelforce so for the few days coming up to Achill I was drinking Nuuns and had a pint that morning. After the run I threw a pack of dyrolite into my nuuns at transition and after the uphill stretch out of Keel I could feel it in one calf so I drank half that mix and was fine from then on.

Me three. Cramped badly at Gaelforce. Noel Brady advised to take diurrlyte 2 days before the event and morning of. Did this in Achill and no problems. Took some on the run and the bike too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

3 stars (average)
    I never got cramps until Gaelforce. Got them for pretty much all the cycle there. Had no nuun or dioralyte that day. On saturday i had a dioralyte sachet mixed in 200ml of water on the bike and downed it as soon as I got on the bike. I still felt the calves twinge a few times during the cycle and when I got off to run for the line I cramped a bit and sort of hopped to the line.

From the bit of reading i've done it seems exerting yourself way more in an event than you have in training can be a cause of cramps, so maybe it's not the distance of these things that causes the cramp but the speed one tries to do it at. As well as salt loss etc also.

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    . That padraig fella is some man. Incredible time.

Just to make us feel worse , he completed an 8km swim last week in lough Mask with the local Tri club - obviously a different type of taper than the rest of us might look at.

4 stars (good)
    Nope, what made me feel worse was that as I was heading out of Keel, before turning off for Atlantic drive, this man who only started 30 minutes before me, came towards me from the opposite direction heading for home after completing the loop !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi lads,
    I was down for the weekend. I have to say I was absolutely amazed at the numbers participating and indeed the "bravery (lunacy)" of those doing the expert. I was born and reared in Achill and I can see the start and indeed the Minaum Cliffs from my house. I have never seen a sight as absolutely surreal as people running up the side of Minaun. (I didnt make it home last year)

I am not sure if ye are all aware but that "path" that ye would have ran the initial mile or two up the mountain was used a couple of centuries ago to carry coffins of the dead from one side of the Island to the Cemetery on the other side of the island (which I believe you would have passed on the cycle - near the Grainnuaile Tower).

I know a good few who competed in both events and I have to say, I think the mental aspect would be toughest for me to overcome. I would have given the sports a go this year only for a broken rib in the summer to knock that on the head but will defo give it a go next year.

I was out in a few of the pubs and hope yez all had a good few well deserved drinks. The nightclub can be a bit "messy" and "loud" but what nightclubs arent!

Again, Fair play to ye all, I was down at the start finish and the atmosphere was excellent. Those winds that come up from nowhere can be a bitch!
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Eido

3 stars (average)
    Photos up on Action Photography website:
    http://www.actionphotography.ie/events-ROAR092010.html

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Absolutely fantastic photos on www.actionphotography.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

didnt do the event but those photos make it look good, despite the windy conditions most people look to be having fun and enjoying it. one on my to do list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Bit crap the way its only expert photo's really. Kinda makes ya feel like the sport wasnt important enough to be photographed! There was definitely people taking photos on the sports course why dont they get put up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mooseygoat

They're such a nice bunch, the AR elites, arent they?. So helpful and friendly. I got chatting to that girl Derval that won, in the niteclub and also the next morning in a cafe, such a nice girl- so friendly and really eager to offer tips, and really unassuming as well. Bloody gorgeous too, some people have all the luck!

My favourite part of achill is the fact that everyone is in the same pub/club afterwards. in gaelforce everyone gets split up in the different pubs and there isnt the same atmosphere.[/QUOTE]
    I really enjoyed that everyone was so friendly, got chatting to so many different people in pub after ,dont know was it because i wore the blue roar top out or what , even got free chips from a really nice ladyicon7.gif .Derval is hot alright i wonder does she have a boyfriend . Is a pity there is not a few more events with the social aspect to it afterwards , as for the night club wish i could remember it was fecked after 4 pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If there were people out taking photos on the sports course they will probably go up on the roar website. From looking at the Roar website for the event last year there were photos from both courses.

If anyone is interested Total Experience is running a kayak session for my Tri Bootcamp this sunday at 6pm near blessington. I asked tonight and there is still space. Cost for the kayak session on its own is 29 euro.

If you fancy it contact Richard from Tri-Planet
    http://www.tri-planet.com/

Are the photos in the roar gallery different? I saw one of me in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Are the photos in the roar gallery different? I saw one of me in there!

Yeah the sports photos are on the ROAR site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Only found one pic of myself in the sports category!

Its pretty bad! I looked fecked and that was only at the start, I was running a lot faster than my preferred pace tho to keep with elchupanebrey for the kayaking, and was completely outta breath getting into the kayak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Just looking at the pictures of this event and im going mad i missed it. The scenery is spectacular and with the conditions you were racing in it truly was an adventure race. I like the way everyone got to meet each other after the event and have a chat. I do alot of these on my own and even though i see alot of the same faces i never seem to chat to anyone. Maybe next year that will change:)

A combination of injury and work commitments kept me out of this one but ill make sure im ok for this next year.

Fair play to everyone who took part, it looked like a tough one:)

4 stars (good)
    Quick update on this from a reliable source

The Sports photos will follow in the next few days and as per last year will be free :)

Credit to the lads in Roar again for this.

yaay :D have spotted one of me so far but its hideous :) definitely the run is not my forte but need to work on facial expression if nothing else for next year hahaha!

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    Quick update on this from a reliable source

The Sports photos will follow in the next few days and as per last year will be free :)

Credit to the lads in Roar again for this.

Great Stuff!

Look forward to seeing them.

Free is always good, not like GF with their 10 euro per photo racket.

4 stars (good)
    Yaay, the camera seemed to have liked me for this event, there's a good few of me for a change rather than the usual spot my head over the shoulder of someone else !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Great Stuff!

Look forward to seeing them.

Free is always good, not like GF with their 10 euro per photo racket.

What a rip off. Cant believe their charging that in these times. Most of their pics are crap too. The much cheaper ones froom roar have scenary second to none and are much better pics.

3 stars (average)
    What a rip off. Cant believe their charging that in these times. Most of their pics are crap too. The much cheaper ones froom roar have scenary second to none and are much better pics.

Oops, I better point out that they (GF) had some free pics up too this year!!!! and they were better than the paid ones.

But agreed, the Roars (and the WARs) are better than the GF events, well I prefer them anyways.

4 stars (good)
    The Roar photos are stunning, there's not only some great photos of competitors but there's some beautiful scenery ones, there's some excellent ones taken from the summit looking down at the beech and you can see the rain cloud emptying itself down near the start. There's a few I'll be ordering of myself, I even appear in the prize giving section, albeit only looking on enviously as others collect their prizes.

3 stars (average)
    Post us a link to that ThisRegard so we can see how envious you look!!!

4 stars (good)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I even appear in the prize giving section, albeit only looking on enviously as others collect their prizes.

In a very shameful move, i also appear in the prize giving section, getting a 'pretend' trophy given to me at the end.. ah well, one can dream:D

photos are awesome cant wait for a proper look later on

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    In a very shameful move, i also appear in the prize giving section, getting a 'pretend' trophy given to me at the end.. ah well, one can dream:D

Ah, I THINK you were on the GF facebook page there last year on the discussions? SW I think ? Or maybe I have the wrong person :)

You are the blonde girl there at the very end? :D

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Post us a link to that ThisRegard so we can see how envious you look!!!

I'm in photo 54 out of 57 in this gallery, far left, brutal photo of me to be honest.
    http://www.actionphotography.ie/galleries/2010-09-11-ROAR/9-events-AROAR.html

I look much better in these ones, photos 113 to 115 :P
    http://www.actionphotography.ie/galleries/2010-09-11-ROAR/4-events-AROAR.html

Are you in photo 56 and 57 in the same gallery or just 56 ?

I was standing beside you for the presentations with another boardsie, I'll let him identify himself if he chooses.

Loving the bionic arms in the 115 one! they are great photos ...would definitely be buying some of those if it was me :)

4 stars (good)
    yes yop and TR you are both correct.. appear in both pics and SW is also correct.. the shame of me demanding a picture with my 'prize'.. isnt vodka an awful demon.. ah well, there's always next yr for the real deal haha!

4 stars (good)
    Loving the bionic arms in the 115 one!

There's some mad poses by some people, there's 2 girls in one with one girl standing on her hands ! Then there's a guy that is in a few photos from every stage and in every photo he's giving a muscle man pose.

Theres also one of me and my mate in freeze frame of jogging - which was kind of hard to hold waiting for them to take pic :) not a v nice pic anyway :D

We took great delight in doing a few slow motion episodes & attempting a montage at one stage....humm i really should be trying to go faster overall!

Think I may have over taken you and your friend on the run on the beach Fi!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mebuccaneers

Hi Guys
    This is my first post, normally I just read all the advice given!!
    I was in the Sports category, 12 o'clock start.
    I brought my camera with me and made a few videos during the race if anyone wants to have a look, I have posted them on face book. http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1311422680205

I done one while running down the hill from the check point where I just caught a guy falling and doing a great recovery with out missing a beat!!
    It was a great day out, well organized and good fun. It was only my second Adventure race. I don't Gaelforce this year as well which was brilliant as well. I also brought the camera with me then and took nearly 500 photo and a good few videos too.
    I am looking forward to entering a few more AR as they come up. And reading and learning from other more experienced racers here.

wayhaaaaaaay that was me!:D haha, I knew there was someone behind me filming something but never thought id get to see it!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Seen this posted on another thread: Might suit some guys looking for a fix .
    Looks good , very do-able nice part of the country also.

http://www.southcoastendurance.ie/

Advertisement