Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

how did people who did gael force west find doing ROAR? was 3 weeks long enough recovery and did you train much in between. Im thinking of doing both next year and also WAR and the connemara adventure challenge which also only have 3 weeks between them them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I did both. I was pretty much mid table in both. 3 weeks was plenty of time. If I had to pick one tho I'd pick the Achil roar.

I will say that I found the bike part a bit more difficult in the Achil roar, but perhaps it was because I pushed that part hardest (for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

guapos wrote: »
    how did people who did gael force west find doing ROAR? was 3 weeks long enough recovery and did you train much in between. Im thinking of doing both next year and also WAR and the connemara adventure challenge which also only have 3 weeks between them them.

Can't answer the question diretly but I did the GFW and the Louisburg to Westport Half Marathon a few weeks later and I know I definitely felt it on the second half of the L-W HM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)

I think three weeks was plenty of time to recover from Gaelforce, I suppose it depends on your fitness level. If you think you wouldn't be able to walk for a week after Gaelforce then maybe Achill Roar is a bit too soon. Most people I talked to though got through the stiffness after a couple of days.

I'm with Sniipe though, if you had to pick one of the two events though I'd definitely pick Achill Roar.
    Sniipe wrote: »
    I did both. I was pretty much mid table in both. 3 weeks was plenty of time. If I had to pick one tho I'd pick the Achil roar.

I will say that I found the bike part a bit more difficult in the Achil roar, but perhaps it was because I pushed that part hardest (for me)

You probably pushed it hard because you knew you could exhaust yourself as the cycling was the final section. In Gaelforce you have to save yourself for the Croagh Patrick climb.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)

Felt sound out doing Achill, 3 weeks was sound. Didn't do a bean for the week after GF and then was on hols getting a few small runs and a few small cycles and runs the week before GF and found it sound.

Would do Achill WAY about GF have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

thanks for the replies, hopeefully the extra imra races ill do in the next year will leave me better prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what the different legs are in the roar results. I want to start building more cycling into my training with next years roar being the one of my aims and would like to see what kind of times are involved.
    I'm (probably) talking about the sports version rather than expert :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hey, I'm gonna jump in with a question here too if ye dont mind... I did GF last year and though I enjoyed the day was one of the moaners and really dont want to give my money to them again and so am looking for other events, would people recommend the roar? It certainly looks like an event worth doing and supporting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

TBW judging by the responses on here it seems that ROAR wins hands down but there again maybe GF will learn from this years feedback and improve the event for next year.

I've realised that my question probably looks a bit daft. I'm assuming that leg 1 is the kayak, 2/3 the run and 4/5 the cycle but the run and cycle have check (chip) points somewhere along the way?

if I'm reading the results right it looks like there were only 26 vets in the sports race and only 5 of them female. How sad that more F40s don't take part in these events but hey if I work hard enough I may even win something :p

Actually I just looked at the expert results.... only two female vets? :eek: Can that be right or am I reading the thing wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    Hey, I'm gonna jump in with a question here too if ye dont mind... I did GF last year and though I enjoyed the day was one of the moaners and really dont want to give my money to them again and so am looking for other events, would people recommend the roar? It certainly looks like an event worth doing and supporting...

I did both GF and Roar this year and I totally enjoyed both but if I had to pick one to do next year it would without doubt be Achill Roar.
    I can highly recommend it.
    Roar was a much smaller event than GF so there wasn't the problems in transitions that many experienced in GF.
    There was also a brilliant atmosphere before and after the race, I suppose the fact that the weather was beautiful really helped too.
    Plenty of other reasons, well organised, instant result printout, fantastic course etc. etc.

There are some photos and a report on Achill Roar on my blog here
    I didn't take as many videos or photos as GF as I was having a bad day physically in Achill (too knackered to care about pics :( )

Hope to see you there next year...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Following on a recent constructive meeting with local Achill Tourism and landowner representatives the date for the 2010 Achill Roar event is now confirmed as Sat 11th September
    Entries are due to open at Midday on Tuesday 5th Jan with early entry available for €44 sole and €90 for relay teams of 3 until 31st Jan 2010.

The ROAR team also are planning a West Wicklow ROAR event for the Blessington Lakes area for Sat 22nd May 2010 - Course details to be confirmed but distances for both Sports and Expert options will be somewhat similar to the Achill Roar - Cycling likely to be a bit longer with more climb for sports class and runs slightly shorter for both classes but with a bit more climb for the Sports class.
    Due to the low lake temperature in May we have resisted putting in a swim option ;)

www.ROAR.ie is currently being updated with details of both

Nollaig shona dóibh as foireann ROAR

Pól, Brían agus Ciarán :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    great job, looking forward to the Achill Roar. Might stay down there this year for the after party. Must get a tent !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

its back , entries for both Achill and West Wicklow Roar are open !!!
    Early Bird prices, 102euro for a Cycle t-shirt and 2 events , super !!!

Achill Roar was one of my favorites last year, i assume they will be including the weather again this year.

4 stars (good)
    The early bird is closing on these on 31st Jan in case anyone wanted to get in there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    yop wrote: »
    The early bird is closing on these on 31st Jan in case anyone wanted to get in there. :)

Thanks for that Yop. Got my entry in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

There is a 10% discount available until end of Feb (This Sunday night) for Achill ROAR (Sat 11th Sept) and West Wicklow ROAR (Sat 22nd May) entries using the discount code IMRADisc

Entry to both ROAR events only costs €44 each or €83 for both using this code.
    These prices includes all entry provider commissions.
    You can order a quality ROAR tech tee for €13.50 using this discount too.
    RRP of these tech tees is ~€30

Both ROAR events will have the same Sport and Expert options that proved so popular in the sold out Achill event in 2009

Full details on www.roar.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    question re split times, im doing this for the first time in september and i want to use the times from last year as a guage for my training , the split times on the website arent very clear, there are 3 disciplines but there are at least 6 splits, can anyone explain how they are broken up, id really appreciate it,

This is my poor timings from last year; link

From it I can see the following;
    [SPLITS START]
    Short run to the lake: ~1km
    kayak around lake: ~1.6km
    run back to start: ~1km
    [SPLITS TAKEN]
    Run on beach
    Run up to top of hill
    [SPLITS TAKEN]
    Run down hill
    run along shore to start point
    total running on beach and hill: ~14.15km
    [SPLITS TAKEN]
    cycle
    [SPLITS TAKEN]
    cycle the remainder to finish line
    dismount and run 100m to finish : ~45.15km
    [SPLITS TAKEN]

The cycle took the longest duration by far

I hope this helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    woody1 wrote: »
    question re split times, im doing this for the first time in september and i want to use the times from last year as a guage for my training , the split times on the website arent very clear, there are 3 disciplines but there are at least 6 splits, can anyone explain how they are broken up, id really appreciate it,

Might also help to get a 6km long flight of stairs and try and run up them continously :)

Great event , tough run and cycle .Sniipe is on the money with the splits.The 2nd split on the bike was on a decent so it was added to avoid possible injury as I am sure there are guys who would tank down this section!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    thanks for that, that helps a lot, im doing the sports event is that the one ye did, was out in achill for work a couple of times in the last week and the cycle route looked tough enough didnt think the run looked too bad, plenty of places for me to practice the hill running round here , not to keen on water so for me the kayak is going to be the most fun !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    thanks for that, that helps a lot, im doing the sports event is that the one ye did, was out in achill for work a couple of times in the last week and the cycle route looked tough enough didnt think the run looked too bad, plenty of places for me to practice the hill running round here , not to keen on water so for me the kayak is going to be the most fun !!!

I did the sports and thought the cycle was a piece of piss (in comparison to gael force anyway..) some undulating hills but nothing steep really at all, or not steep for a prolonged period of time.

the kayak takes part on a lake, which will make it easier for you than the open water, if you're not so keen on the water element..

great event, cant wait for it again this yr. weather was glorious last yr, we may as well have been on malibu beach:cool::D The roar lads seem to have a pact with mother nature, the wicklow roar was the best weekend of the yr so far weather wise!

4 stars (good)
    yeah in comparison to gael force it would be easier alright, this is gonna be my first full event so its all gonna be tough, trying to do enough training so that i dont come last... ive done the cycle part of triathlons before as part of a team, and it was an almost completely flat cycle, so id imagine achill will be a bit tougher, re the water i was looking at some photos and a lot of the " swimmers " seemed to be walking so it musnt be very deep thank god

4 stars (good)
    Ya the sport was nice last year. The weather amazing.

Anyone who did the sport last year aiming for the elite?

4 stars (good)
    yop wrote: »
    Ya the sport was nice last year. The weather amazing.

Anyone who did the sport last year aiming for the elite?

i dont think so yop- sports for me again this yr- it's too close to GFW for me personally to do both (GFW and the elite in achill).. i dont think (mentally) i coudl face into another really long one so soon after GFW.. it's possible of course, but i really REALLY enjoyed the sports last yr in achill, after the torture (and elation of course!) of GFW 3 weeks previously.. achill seemed like a walk in the park after it. having said that GFW was my first ever race (of any kind- i like to aim high haha!) so i was physically and mentally exhausted after it.

ya,woody, the lake is very shallow, good bit of walking.. also, it was very warm, the water (sept is warmest month for irish waters) so NO need for a wetsuit at all.. lakes are also warmer than open seas for obvious reasons..

ill be taking the kayak option this yr instead of the swim. will never forget the heat of running 1km in the wetsuit- it was something else- i got very claustrophobic! it might be easier for regular tri people, but i found it a pain- and i certainly wouldnt fancy the 1km run in a pair of togs either, with my bits jiggling, so kayak for me this yr!

thanks for that, that helps a lot, im doing the sports event is that the one ye did

no that is the expert one, my sis did the sport one on the day with 0 training. And she isn't into any sport.

• Advertisement

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i dont think so yop- sports for me again this yr- it's too close to GFW for me personally to do both (GFW and the elite in achill).. i dont think (mentally) i coudl face into another really long one so soon after GFW.. it's possible of course, but i really REALLY enjoyed the sports last yr in achill, after the torture (and elation of course!) of GFW 3 weeks previously.. achill seemed like a walk in the park after it. having said that GFW was my first ever race (of any kind- i like to aim high haha!) so i was physically and mentally exhausted after it.

I did GFW last year and was wrecked after it, but then a week later I was fully recovered and decided to go for Achill Roar. It was a good choice.

I'd fit into the runner category (even tho I'm not a runner).

I've signed up to both again this year.

4 stars (good)
    Sniipe wrote: »
    I
    I've signed up to both again this year.

I'm doing both too, but signed up for the 'sports' in Achill.. really looking forward to it, it was such a great event last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    Did both last year ,did the Achill expert race , only time in my life where I got cramps in the gluteus maximus !!! 3 weeks between them this year so recovery should be ok .
    Saying that still not signed up , must do it soon ! great event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Just doing the sport option again this year, will be doing it with CKWPORT Snr again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Signed up for Sport as doing Gael Force a few weeks before. (I caved in :))

Quite enjoyed the Sport in Wicklow

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    thats great, now anyone have any training advice or tips or anything they learned from last year that they want to pass on would it be worth getting a quick lesson on a kayak or does it make much difference i live close enough to achill ( about an hour away ) so i could organise it handy enough also is the run on the beach or the pitch n putt course hard to judge from photos of last year

4 stars (good)
    Wouldn't panic about the kayak to be honest, if you get a lesson fair enough but it won't make you or break you!!!

The most of the run is on flat beach, moving onto grass and then a section of boggy run, the hill section for the sport is about 1-1.5km so maybe get yourself a hill run a week to strengthen the calves.

The bike ride was sound, few hills but nothing too serious, worst part of the hills is in the first 2km. So again if you can get in a few spins a week and include hills then again it will build you up.

Best way to do it, is ensure that all the distances for both the run and the bike are not "new" to your legs, so make sure you have covered the distances.

In saying that you can well get away without having done all distances, you will probably need a big of a walk break during the run. Enjoy it the first year and you will learn for the 2nd :)

4 stars (good)
    im out bout every second r third day so doing a bit and can cover the distances, havent done any hill running yet going to do that closer to the thing itself. concentrating on the bike at the moment cos i have a triathlon in a month and im trying to get the time down, just the bike section, and cos my knee is giving me trouble from too much running, was thinking about getting the kayak lesson more so i dont fall off it and make a tit of meself

4 stars (good)
    im out bout every second r third day so doing a bit and can cover the distances, havent done any hill running yet going to do that closer to the thing itself. concentrating on the bike at the moment cos i have a triathlon in a month and im trying to get the time down, just the bike section, and cos my knee is giving me trouble from too much running, was thinking about getting the kayak lesson more so i dont fall off it and make a tit of meself

You will be fitter than most then in fairness. Kayak are very hard to turn over as they are sit ons but if it settles you then for sure get a lesson :)

Gluck with training

4 stars (good)
    i agree with yop, i wouldnt bother your arse training for the kayak- although if you have NEVER sat in one, then it's no harm to have at least one go, if for no other reason that you wont be 'fearing' it.. it's dead easy really though.

have no other real advice other than get in as much hill work on the bike/legs as you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    One thing to note with the kayak though, and a partner on a mates kayak at a previous event made this mistake, is to hold the paddle the right way around ! This guy had it backwards which meant he was pushing very little water. Hardest part about it is the lower back pain you may get if you're not used to it, but once you get a rhythm going it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Hey, got an idea into my head that I would like to have a go at one of these over the summer and this looks to fit the bill. Training for my first sprint triathlon at the moment and it is going ok. Just wondering how different would the training have to be for an event like this? Would I have to be running up hills etc a few times a week or would the same general training as I'm doing for a triathlon suffice? Thanks

4 stars (good)
    TomD101 wrote: »
    Hey, got an idea into my head that I would like to have a go at one of these over the summer and this looks to fit the bill. Training for my first sprint triathlon at the moment and it is going ok. Just wondering how different would the training have to be for an event like this? Would I have to be running up hills etc a few times a week or would the same general training as I'm doing for a triathlon suffice? Thanks

If you have a level of fitness already then you are ahead of a lot of the walking and joggers category in GF (I think only walkers category has vacancies left).

If you can get in a good hour on hills once a week or every 2 weeks it can only help you as there are few dogs of hills in the first 12km run and then of course Croagh Patrick.

But if you are doing triathlons I think you will be sound out.

4 stars (good)
    technical question kind of
    i have padded cycling shorts which i couldnt live without but i cant imagine theyd be too comfortable to run in do ye run in padded shorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    i have padded cycling shorts which i couldnt live without but i cant imagine theyd be too comfortable to run in do ye run in padded shorts

You can get Tri Shorts, padding not as big as in cycling shorts, and sound to run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)

When I'm doing a cycling event I always use cycling shorts & cycling top.
    When I'm running I wear underarmour compression shorts (no friction) under running shorts and a technical T-shirt.

For the adventure races I use a cycling jersey (great for the pockets) and the Under armour & running shorts combo and I've have never had a problem on the bike stage with this gear.

In real terms the cycling stage is not long enough to require "real" cycling shorts.

4 stars (good)
    yeah id agree that its a short distance but to put it one way i seem to have either a very hard saddle ( and thats with a cover ) or a very sensitive arse, il try the tri-shorts and see what i think .... gonna do a run bike run sometime this weekend so will try out the cycling shorts for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    I'm like yourself Woody, a delicate bum ! I have some mtb shorts in which there's a skin tight pair of cycling style shorts with a chamois. I used those under a pair of running shorts and never even noticed them during the running stages.

4 stars (good)
    okay been training for about a month all going well mainly doing bike stuff as im trying to get time down for the ballina triathlon that im doing the bike section for so far ive been doing a lot of short trips 12k runs 3 times a week and then 20k at the weekend mainly for time reasons ( ie lack of it ) im beginning to think that this is a bit backwards and id be better off doing much 2 longer trips and doing the short fast trips maybe once a week reason being that whilst aerobically im fine my legs are always very stiff for the first 5 to ten minutes and then im off the bike 10 mins later i figure longer runs will be better for the legs

4 stars (good)
    Personally I would get in as many long spins as you can, you have to get your legs used to the long distances of the cycles of the events, as they will be tired after the runs.

The speed cycles will down your time, but been able to do 10km in 20mins won't overly benefit you when you have a 40km cycle.

Good luck

4 stars (good)
    thnakfully its only a 20k cycle il have to deal with this year but i agree i think the longer runs are the way to go hopefully the speed work mite pay off in the last couple of km

4 stars (good)
    ballina tri this week, the first of my training targets, im just doing the cycle in this a friend is swimming and running, cycled the course on monday went as hard as i could for most of it had to stop for cars and to cross the road did it in 45 mins which i have to say im disgusted with did the same distance in 45 last year with no training albeit a different route... trained friday sat sun and then cycled monday so maybe i was just doing too much dunno really really wanted to get it closer to the 40 mins cant see that happening now gonna rest for the rest of the week and see what happens on sat.

4 stars (good)
    ballina triathlon at the weekend, did the cycle leg for a friend that was swimming and running, from getting on to getting off the bike it took me 40 mins which is what i was aiming for , but then obviously you have to run in and rack the bike and run out at the start... so total time was closer to 44 mins..the timer gizmo wasnt at the start of the cycle ( getting on the bike ) , but maybe 50/60 yards away up a steep hill through a gate and onto the road, same for everyone though, im happy enough cos it took me 45 minutes just to cycle it a week earlier and i couldnt see myself going any quicker, so i knocked 5 minutes of the cycle time... but id like to do the whole thing in under 40 ie from taking the bike off the rack to hanging it up again thats a fair bit to knock off,
    so any suggestions on training to get the time down, do more distance , more speed, i know the saddles not high enough didnt get round to adjusting it but thats not gonna give me 5 minutes or more,
    oh and it was lashing rain for the whole thing puddles and standing water all over the place was drowned before i started... fair play to everyone that took part weather was cruel ... wouldnt have blamed anyone for walking away from it. especially the relay teams that had to stand in the rain waiting for their swimmer /cyclist to come in , and the marshalls all of whom got drowned, i know one girl who got so wet her mobile is now broken cos it got soaked in her pocket

4 stars (good)
    This is the Achill Roar thread woody ;)

Well done though on getting the Ballina Tri done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    I've decided to do this, will be my first triathlon or adventure race (actually my first race of any kind out side of school sports day!) , really looking forward to it. Came across a video showing some of last years race, the run looks a bit tougher than I expected but it's really made me excited about competing.

Advertisement