Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    sorry about that, yeah ive turned this into more of a training log.. wont do it again...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    woody1 wrote: »
    sorry about that, yeah ive turned this into more of a training log.. wont do it again...

Might be an idea for you to do a training log there, keep you motivated also.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

Quick question folks - I'm considering doing the Achill Roar for the first time this year (provided there are still places?) - if I do, what kind of shoes should I be looking for for the running part? As it's offroad, I guess a normal pair of running shoes mightn't be the best? Any type to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

If it's your first and possibly only adventure race or even trail run for that matter then you're grand with regular runners. I did Gael Force last year with my asics and survived BUT I did slip and fall on my @rse a few times.

I have since invested in a pair of proper trail running shoes for a few other races I did since. Got a pair of these Salomon SpeedCross 2 in the Great Outdoors. Inov-8 are another good make.

If you do decide to invest you're just looking for a pair with good cushion / support and grip. They do make you more confident running down hill if you ask me. Way more fun too.

4 stars (good)
    theres a good range on amazon at all price ranges.. was wondering myself whether it would be worth buying for one race ..but i dont fancy falling on me arse too much.. and if i manage to get thru achill roar in one piece il probably do some other ones next year all the same im trying not to buy too much stuff before i see what i think of it easy to get carried away though

• Advertisement

Cheers WithCheesePlease. I think I might as well get a pair; I'm sure I'll get up to enough activities in the next year or so to make it worthwhile.

Another question about it - I have cleats on my bike shoes and clips on the bike - I presume there's a place to store your cycling shoes with the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    You store them with the bike yourself, it's basically a self sufficient race so you bring everything you need with you, either way you'll end up having to carry either of those shoes with you at some stage, many people just don't bother with cleats for these type of races.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You store them with the bike yourself, it's basically a self sufficient race so you bring everything you need with you, either way you'll end up having to carry either of those shoes with you at some stage, many people just don't bother with cleats for these type of races.

You don't actually have to carry your shoes at all in the Achill Roar as you return to the same transition area so can change shoes there.

This is different to the likes of Gaelforce, WAR and West Wicklow Roar where you will end up carrying runners with you on the bike if you decide to go with bike shoes and cleats.

Personally the Achill race is the only one I would use bike shoes and cleats for.
    Def reckon that there is too much time to be wasted changing shoes and carrying IMHO :rolleyes:

4 stars (good)
    Cheers, never realised the transition was the same ! Won't make any difference to me anyway as I'll be sticking with the trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Anyone know the run route on a map or a profile of it. Wanting to get over next weekend for a tester on the 16k route .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    emcor wrote: »
    Anyone know the run route on a map or a profile of it. Wanting to get over next weekend for a tester on the 16k route .

From the roar.ie site:

http://www.roar.ie/achill-roar/images/stories/map2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Cheers - do you go up the hill clockwise or anticlockwise.
    Looks like a sound race and looking fwd bigtime; is there a party in Achill afterwards at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    emcor wrote: »
    Cheers - do you go up the hill clockwise or anticlockwise.
    QUOTE]

Anti clockwise - very tough run .
    Would definately work driving or cycling the bike route before hand while your up, expert cycle is testing
    Didn't hang around last year afterwards but I believe a good night was had by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dor13

This looks like a fantastic even if a little crazy event!! I checked out the cycle route the other day but wondered if I got it right, I turned right 1km before Achill Sound but wondered if that was correct or if I should have turned right for Scoil Acla, in any case the expert cycle seems tough but not impossible with a few challenging climbs, it's the run I'm thinking that's really going to be the challenge. Is the swim in the lake and is it just out and back or what ?

4 stars (good)
    yeah i did the sports cycle route with my brother on sat as well just at a lesiurely pace to check it out some tough little climbs in it alright tough enough in comparison to some other ones ive done not sure what direction it heads in does it start off out from keel towards the sound to doolough and back to keel or the other way round.. got kayak lesson from achill surf and kayak not sit on top kayaks but highly reccomended anyway learnt a few little bits and im not that comfortable with water so it was nice to get in a kayak and try to get used to it... 2 hour kayak lesson was 20 euro
    google achill surf and kayak

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    dor13 wrote: »
    This looks like a fantastic even if a little crazy event!! I checked out the cycle route the other day but wondered if I got it right, I turned right 1km before Achill Sound but wondered if that was correct or if I should have turned right for Scoil Acla, in any case the expert cycle seems tough but not impossible with a few challenging climbs, it's the run I'm thinking that's really going to be the challenge. Is the swim in the lake and is it just out and back or what ?

yeah the swim is in the lake, out around a marker and back... lake was lovely and warm last yr, NO need for a wetsuit tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    yeah the swim is in the lake, out around a marker and back... lake was lovely and warm last yr, NO need for a wetsuit tbh

Just what I was coming in to ask, thanks.

Do have a few more questions though if anyone can help out. For the run, will normal road runners be sufficient? Cash is a bit tight at the moment and don't want to have to invest in too much new gear if I can get away with it. I suppose it'll be somewhat weather dependent, but any pointers would be great.

How tough is the sports cycle? Are there lots of hills (I ask because I freaking hate trying to go downhill fast) and what are the roads like - much chance of punctures?

4 stars (good)
    Very very little chance of punctures wreck. didnt see 1 person with a puncture last yr- roads are very good. I didnt find the cycle tough in the sports, and that would be my worst element. Having said that i had done gaelforce about 3 weeks earlier, so all in all this just felt like a walk in the park in comparison to be honest. there are some gentle hills but nothing to be afraid of. If you dont like going fast down hills, then dont!

You should be ok in regular runners- there's a small bit of mountain included, but nothing that really fully requires cross trainers, it's short enough. People do gaelforce in asics, so you can sure as hell do achill in asics on that basis!

ETA: i got a great pair of salomon cross trainers in TK Maxx for 40 eur- TK Maxx is the bomb! great technical tops there too.

ETA: re the wetsuit- most of us had them last yr, was bloody boiling- the water in ireland is at it's warmest in sept too. i'll never forget the sprint from the beach to the lake in the wetsuit, and it was about 26 degrees- hell! some people decided against it on the day. if i'd had togs instead of a bikini, i would have too. not a good look to be running along the road in the bikini, jugs juggling and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    Very very little chance of punctures wreck. didnt see 1 person with a puncture last yr- roads are very good. I didnt find the cycle tough in the sports, and that would be my worst element. Having said that i had done gaelforce about 3 weeks earlier, so all in all this just felt like a walk in the park in comparison to be honest. there are some gentle hills but nothing to be afraid of. If you dont like going fast down hills, then dont!

You should be ok in regular runners- there's a small bit of mountain included, but nothing that really fully requires cross trainers, it's short enough. People do gaelforce in asics, so you can sure as hell do achill in asics on that basis!

ETA: i got a great pair of salomon cross trainers in TK Maxx for 40 eur- TK Maxx is the bomb! great technical tops there too.

Thanks for all the info Wonkagirl, that's a great help. Going to stick to my normal runners, and take it easy on the downhills (I'll just have to make up for it going uphill!).
    i'll never forget the sprint from the beach to the lake in the wetsuit, and it was about 26 degrees- hell! some people decided against it on the day. if i'd had togs instead of a bikini, i would have too. not a good look to be running along the road in the bikini, jugs juggling and all that!

Doesn't sound too bad to me! :pac:

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    curious what direction does the cycle go in, from the beach to the sound or opposite

4 stars (good)
    i suppose to make myself clear what im asking is does the cycle go to the east - back towards the mainland and then turn north...and west and come back to the beach.. or does it go the opposite way... cycled it the first way at the weekend and there are some steep enough little hills.. i did a 15k hike the day before though so maybe the legs were just tired...

4 stars (good)
    woody1 wrote: »
    curious what direction does the cycle go in, from the beach to the sound or opposite

opposite.. i think. anti clockwise on the map- does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I'd really like to do the swim this year but am not a very confident swimmer. I know it sounds childish but I'm wondering if the swim is in very deep water, or more importantly is it possible to stay close to shore or in fairly shallow water. I don't think I'd be happy swimming straight out into the middle of a deep lake:confused: Any thoughts an this appreciated. Cheers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    Rinker wrote: »
    I'd really like to do the swim this year but am not a very confident swimmer. I know it sounds childish but I'm wondering if the swim is in very deep water, or more importantly is it possible to stay close to shore or in fairly shallow water. I don't think I'd be happy swimming straight out into the middle of a deep lake:confused: Any thoughts an this appreciated. Cheers.

From looking at the pictures on the website the water looks shallow enough, but best to email the lads there and see.

The organisers were saying that they will be full for registration within weeks so make sure you get signed up :)

If you were wondering time wise, you would be looking at 2-3hrs for the Sport event, lovely course and a great introduction if you haven't done an event like this before.

4 stars (good)
    Rinker wrote: »

Why put yourself through it when there's a kayak option? not worth it imo. go for a swim in the sea afterwards instead- the beach is amazing

i did the swim last yr. it's shallow half the way, you walk out quite a bit, 100m at least i reckon, then it gets quite deep (not sure exactly how deep but certainly 15ft at least). full of queer weeds as well. didnt like it. kept thinking a loughness monster thing was swirling around my feet.

will be going down the kayak route this yr!

Hey folks, I've signed up for the sport event this year, and as it's my first tri, I've a couple of questions:

Firstly, we're considering getting a B & B the night before, and then camping the Saturday night. Will there be anywhere to have a shower after the event? Are there campsites in Achill (I'm sure there are) and do they have shower facilities?

I've seen the question about the runners answered, I might look in TK Maxx for a cheap pair of trail runners so. My bicycle has clips and I have cleated shoes - could I leave these with my bike and just change when I get there? I don't think I'd be comfortable with normal runners on the tiny pedals. I have longish padded shorts and a bib; would I be better off just wearing the bib under a pair of normal shorts?
    Also, do many people listen to mp3 players as they do it? I always run/cycle listening to music and don't think I'd be as comfortable without it.

Any advice appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    There's a great campsite beside the start/finish line.

http://www.achillcamping.com/

Stunning location. I'd probably choose camping here over hotels due to th great location.

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    There's a great campsite beside the start/finish line.

http://www.achillcamping.com/

Stunning location. I'd probably choose camping here over hotels due to th great location.

it's out of this world. it was my first time there last yr, i was blown away by it. have travelled all over the world, and by god you'd be doing well to find nicer. NOw, we were so lucky with the weather last yr- best weekend of the summer- was like being in malibu! headed to Keem beach the day after, only to see PeterX running and swimming.. putting us all to shame as per usual.

cant wait for this event.

Irol- there are showers on the beach alright..

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    irol wrote: »
    Hey folks, I've signed up for the sport event this year, and as it's my first tri, I've a couple of questions:

Firstly, we're considering getting a B & B the night before, and then camping the Saturday night. Will there be anywhere to have a shower after the event? Are there campsites in Achill (I'm sure there are) and do they have shower facilities?

I've seen the question about the runners answered, I might look in TK Maxx for a cheap pair of trail runners so. My bicycle has clips and I have cleated shoes - could I leave these with my bike and just change when I get there? I don't think I'd be comfortable with normal runners on the tiny pedals. I have longish padded shorts and a bib; would I be better off just wearing the bib under a pair of normal shorts?
    Also, do many people listen to mp3 players as they do it? I always run/cycle listening to music and don't think I'd be as comfortable without it.

Any advice appreciated

Good luck with it, you will get addicted, I know most of have :)

Re cleats - since you are only looking at one bike transition then you will be spot on, you can take the trainers off and just fire on the shoes, I will be clipping my bike shoes to the pedals and then throwing off the runners.

Not sure what u mean about the bib though, normal bike shorts will be sound for the full even or tri-shorts.

Thanks folks - any idea about the cycling shoes/runners situation? Do many people change?

Edit - sorry yop, didn't see your reply at the time. The bib looks somewhat similar to an old wrestler outfit (or a big babygro), it has a padded crotch and arse and comes up over your shoulders.
    Naturally I would be wearing clothes over it, it's not the kind of thing to be seen in public in. My cycle shorts might be just a bit too baggy so I think I'll go with a normal running pair under it. I'll have a mess around over the weekend and see what feels comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

4 stars (good)
    irol wrote: »
    Thanks folks - any idea about the cycling shoes/runners situation? Do many people change?

Edit - sorry yop, didn't see your reply at the time. The bib looks somewhat similar to an old wrestler outfit (or a big babygro), it has a padded crotch and arse and comes up over your shoulders.
    Naturally I would be wearing clothes over it, it's not the kind of thing to be seen in public in. My cycle shorts might be just a bit too baggy so I think I'll go with a normal running pair under it. I'll have a mess around over the weekend and see what feels comfortable.
    Bib shorts are like dungarees for cyclists, they'll be sound. I've used them meself and they are the shiznit. No Haggy Draggy pants on me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭knipper

Hi all have a bit of a dilemma. I entered sports Achill roar and since then have injured my ITB in both my knees.
    While I can cycle no problem and kayak should be fine. (Also can play 5 a side no problem?)
    I can only run about 2k before my knee flares up. Am going to physio but it doesnt look good.
    However instead of not going I was wondering would it be feasible to walk the 8k run and give it socks for the other two events?
    I've never entered anything like this before so some advice would be appreciated.
    Really dont want to miss the craic as a few of us are competing in it.
    Cheers

4 stars (good)
    god yeah, absolutely still do it! most people walk the mountain element of the 8km run anyway (which is about 25% of it)

dont miss it, it was the event of the yr last year- the location, the atmosphere- superb event. Rest up the leg, plenty of ice etc and stay cycling/swimming to keep up fitness levels.. its 5 weeks away, you could be well on the mend by then.

Plus, there'll be waves this yr and much larger numbers (up to 1000), so you can get lost in the crowd, its not like you're going to be the langer crossing over the line after everyone's finished.. request to go in an earlier wave maybe.

Cheers Wonkagirl minds made up now will give it a lash so.
    Needed to know it'd be grand from a neutral.
    I'm a happy camper now!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    knipper wrote: »
    Cheers Wonkagirl minds made up now will give it a lash so.
    Needed to know it'd be grand from a neutral.
    I'm a happy camper now!

U have the EXACT same issue that i had.

U need to get the knees stretched. Get down on your knees, then fall backwards with ur hands flat behind you. The fingers facing backwards. Then lift your stomach up as high as possible, you shud feel a real strong stretch in the knee around the edge and top of it.
    Hold it for 20/30 seconds.
    Ease off and repeat.
    Do this at least twice per day, give it and do it religously and hopefully this will work. It sorted me out big time.

Turned out that my core was also very weak, so do the plank also to strenghten that area.

4 stars (good)
    a weak core is the cause of so many injuries. make the plank your best friend- do it morning and evening for 90 seconds!

i'd be inclined to try another physio as well if you dont feel ur getting results. Over the course of my elbow rehab Ive experience the good, the bad and the ugly of physios and the differences are pretty marked.

4 stars (good)
    The plank will NEVER be my best friend, I curse it every time.

4 stars (good)
    The plank will NEVER be my best friend, I curse it every time.

it gets easier- but it takes time. Stick with it. 1 min in the mornings and 1 min in the evenings- what's 2 mins out of your day??!!

4 stars (good)
    When we do it it's over several minutes ! 1 minute sounds easy at this stage, and it's made worse by switching from doing the proper plank, to the left side, back to proper plank and back to the right and so on !

But it is indeed great for the core so the pain is worth it.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    yeah, then introduce the superman plank! that's the one we do in keepfit.ie. I think it lasts 3 mins in total. plank, then one arm up, other arm, then one leg, other leg, then one arm/one leg together, opposite, etc.. Feeling stronger in the core these days though, but like everything, it takes time..

Thanks for all advice had to look up the plank pure amateur I am!
    Will get to work maybe I might be running after all.
    This site is the bizz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)
    Peterx wrote: »
    from IMRA forum;

Just to let IMRA folk know that there are only a small number of places (16)left in the Expert category and 5 in the Expert Relay for this race on 12th Sept so if intending to do the event please register via www.roar.ie as numbers will be capped at 150 per category.
    The Sports category has already been filled.

Hey, are there any places left? Ive been training for a couple of weeks now but havent registered!!! Was gonna do the sports triathlon with a few mates, just waitin on everyone to get organised.

4 stars (good)
    yeah there are definitely places dogsly, i spoke to paul mahon in tulfarris on saturday. there are sports and expert places left. sign up before it's too late tho, once GFW is over, it'll sell out within days. Entries have already exceeeded last yrs limit, but they extended entries to 500 this yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DPA

knipper wrote: »
    Hi all have a bit of a dilemma. I entered sports Achill roar and since then have injured my ITB in both my knees.
    While I can cycle no problem and kayak should be fine. (Also can play 5 a side no problem?)
    I can only run about 2k before my knee flares up. Am going to physio but it doesnt look good.
    However instead of not going I was wondering would it be feasible to walk the 8k run and give it socks for the other two events?
    I've never entered anything like this before so some advice would be appreciated.
    Really dont want to miss the craic as a few of us are competing in it.
    Cheers

Knipper,

With a bit of work you should be able to get your IT Bands right. It might be worth consulting a physio first.

Try out the routine on the link attached. See below.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

Get your self a foam roller to relieve the tightness and work out the scar tissue.

If it's still not responding get yourself a sports massgae...be prepared to squeal like a pig though.

Failing all that just walk it!

4 stars (good)
    DPA wrote: »
    Knipper,

With a bit of work you should be able to get your IT Bands right. It might be worth consulting a physio first.

Try out the routine on the link attached. See below.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

Get your self a foam roller to relieve the tightness and work out the scar tissue.

If it's still not responding get yourself a sports massgae...be prepared to squeal like a pig though.

Failing all that just walk it!

Not saying what you are suggesting is wrong but I spent 3 weeks going to a physio and using a roller to get rid of the tissue around the ITB.
    It worked for short periods but it didn't solve the full problem.

The 2 main issues were around my core and knots of muscle just around my belly button believe it or not!!
    I had to use the handle of a brush and push it in just under my belly button to where the knot was.
    This with the streches mention above and the plank daily sorted me out and thank God no issue since.
    I gave this advice to my mate and it sorted him out. BUT remember everyone is different so what you are saying above could work for 9 out 10 people :)

Lads cheers for the suggestions am trying all of them.
    Will head to my physio with the stomach muscle suggestion.
    Havent gone back to her in a few weeks been doin loads of stretches and core strengthening and feelin a bit better played 80 mins of a friendly last night before it came at me.
    Much improved on the 30 mins two weeks ago!
    Haven't gone for a run for a while just putting the effort into the bike work.
    Might chance a run tomorrow kinda puttin it off in case I found out its no better with the running, half afraid of bad news!
    Thanks again fingers crossed I'll get there.

4 stars (good)
    Yo,

I am singed up to take part in the Achill roar triathlon (sports), if wave starts are going to be used does that mean that the winner will be decided by who has the lowest overall time over the course or will the winner be the person who crosses the finish-line first?

Cheers

4 stars (good)
    Lowest overall time for this type of events. Bar Gaelforce this year, winner has to be in the first wave.

4 stars (good)
    Lowest overall time for this type of events. Bar Gaelforce this year, winner has to be in the first wave.

Oh, so if I'm not in the first wave there's no chance of me finishing in the top 10? even in the sports category?

Cheers for the reply!

• Advertisement
Advertisement