Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    That's just Gaelforce afaik, with ROAR it doesn't matter what wave you're in, or didn't used to anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

Any details for camping at this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

4 stars (good)
    There's camping available at Keel. Having camped there before, it's a decent enough site. anyway, details are on the Roar.ie website:

"Keel Sandybanks campsite at Keel beach has confirmed as being kept open for this weekend to accomodate the Achill Roar participants and supporters. For booking and further details checkout www.achillcamping.com"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hey all, just signed up for this today, sports solo category. Did Gaelforce at the weekend but time was quite high so thought expert would be a bit out of my league still! totally bitten by the bug cant wait for it

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Hello all

Signed up for this on the back of a hugely enjoyable adventure racing debut at Gael Force. Legs feeling fine so went for Expert. Anyone any tips on how this might differ to GF?

Obviously the kayaking is quite a bit longer, and my kayak at GF ws pretty dreadful, I hated it! Will try to do a bit of upper body strength work in the three week gap to get me through the 2.6km slog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Hello all

Signed up for this on the back of a hugely enjoyable adventure racing debut at Gael Force. Legs feeling fine so went for Expert. Anyone any tips on how this might differ to GF?

Obviously the kayaking is quite a bit longer, and my kayak at GF ws pretty dreadful, I hated it! Will try to do a bit of upper body strength work in the three week gap to get me through the 2.6km slog.

Hmm was thinking the same myself, not sure whether to go for sport or expert, only managed GF in 6 hr 58 (had a bad bike crash which set me back somewhat though). How tough is the trail run on expert?? Did the first 14km in GF comfortably in 1hr 28

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    From what I have heard, some of the guys doing the Expert said it was just as tough as and possibly tougher than GF.
    The hill runs is pretty tasty from what i could see of the course and I THINK, would need to be clarified, that the cycle route is over the Athlantic drive, definately not an easy cycle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    For some reason, I thought GF was tougher than Achill. :/ (Not that I have done Achill Roar, just looked slightly easier on paper.)

Last year's thread makes for an interesting read with Sniipe putting up his Garmin readings showing elevation etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055660575&page=5

4 stars (good)
    Also,

Any tips on training for anyone that has done Achill and GF?

Is it a case of simply starting where I left off before my taper for GF and maybe ramp it up slightly?

Will do a few small runs this week to get back into the swing of things and then maybe a big cycle at the weekend?

Also, any IMRA races that would be similar to the expert run? I believe it'd be a 9 or 10 on the IMRA rating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    just curious
    is anyone doing the rough diamond... looks like itl be good craic... signed up for it as a warm up to achill roar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I would concentrate on doing some repeat hills on the bike and doing as many hills as possible. If you can run the distance then don't bother with too many runs if you can substitute them with hill/mountain runs then all the better.

4 stars (good)
    About to sign up for this but after after a tough Gaelforce (5:50) I'm wondering if I should drop down a level and sign up for the Sports instead of the Expert?

Are many people taking a similar decision, or is it considered poor form to move back down to easier levels? (I did WAR and Wicklow ROAR at Sports level and remember hearing the announcer say the only people at Sports level should be absolute newbies.)

Obviously, the choice is really my own but I'm interested to hear other people's views. What do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Did the sports last year, was my 2nd ever adventure race, doing it again this year to see how much I have improved time wise over the same course.

No more sports sized AR's after this one.

Could end up doing crap though as planning on doing a half marathon 6 days before Achill Roar now, so legs might not be in the best shape for Roar.

Anyways, I would recommend the sports roar as a nice cool down event after GF, if you don't fancy getting stuck into another big AR so soon after doing GF.

4 stars (good)
    Go for the sprint if that's what you want. I wouldn't say sports is only for newbies. I like sports as you get to "race" the event rather than hang in there! I see it as A bit like sprint and Olympic tris.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    Triptych wrote: »
    About to sign up for this but after after a tough Gaelforce (5:50) I'm wondering if I should drop down a level and sign up for the Sports instead of the Expert?

Are many people taking a similar decision, or is it considered poor form to move back down to easier levels? (I did WAR and Wicklow ROAR at Sports level and remember hearing the announcer say the only people at Sports level should be absolute newbies.)

Obviously, the choice is really my own but I'm interested to hear other people's views. What do people think?

I personally wouldnt do another GF so soon, i just couldnt face it! the achill sports is a complete joy, i can honestly say i enjoyed every minute of it last yr. Really looking fwd to it this yr, like CKW, will be looking to knock a good 20 mins off my time from last yr.

The thoughts of another 5-6 hour job would fill me with dread. It'll be sports races all yr for me bar GF next yr too.

The sports is still a challenge by the way, there are nice hills on the cycle and the terrain (beach and mountain) on the run isnt easy either- so it's no walk in the park like! but it's really enjoyable, and no off road biking PRAISE THE LORD:)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I personally wouldnt do another GF so soon, i just couldnt face it! the achill sports is a complete joy, i can honestly say i enjoyed every minute of it last yr. Really looking fwd to it this yr, like CKW, will be looking to knock a good 20 mins off my time from last yr.

The thoughts of another 5-6 hour job would fill me with dread. It'll be sports races all yr for me bar GF next yr too.

The sports is still a challenge by the way, there are nice hills on the cycle and the terrain (beach and mountain) on the run isnt easy either- so it's no walk in the park like! but it's really enjoyable, and no off road biking PRAISE THE LORD:)

Damn you wonka and your reasoned thoughts for choosing sports. I had the same reasons for initially choosing sports till a rush of blood to my head caused me to change cat. Doh!

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Damn you wonka and your reasoned thoughts for choosing sports. I had the same reasons for initially choosing sports till a rush of blood to my head caused me to change cat. Doh!

Good for you nerraw! i just personally couldnt face it. Ul be glad on the day, when it's all over.

I'm still crippled and it's wed.. couldnt do that to the bod again. I did achill sports in 2'23 last yr, aiming for something with a 1 in front of it, or 2'05 at the very worst this yr. WIll go all out on the run,wont be holding back like i did in GF.

3 stars (average)

You can always change from Expert to Sports (I think).
    I'm still crippled and it's wed.. couldnt do that to the bod again. I did achill sports in 2'23 last yr, aiming for something with a 1 in front of it, or 2'05 at the very worst this yr. WIll go all out on the run,wont be holding back like i did in GF.

Think I did in in 2.15 or 2.17 last year, can't remember, definitely looking for under 2 this year if I am in full health going into it.

Legs are back to normal nearly, a tiny bit of tightness is all thats left in one calve, 40km cycle this evening should have me fully back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    I did achill sports in 2'23 last yr, aiming for something with a 1 in front of it, or 2'05 at the very worst this yr. WIll go all out on the run,wont be holding back like i did in GF.

This is what I'm looking forward to most doing the sports in Achill, just pounding out the run as quickly as I can, because after GF I know my legs will be able for it and the cycle afterwards.

Starting to have doubts about whether to switch to the kayak rather than swimming. The kayak at GF was so easy, and as I've a couple of friends I want to beat in Achill who are all doing the kayak, I don't want to disadvantage myself by opting for the swim. Guess I'll see how I go in training over the next week or so before making a decision.

4 stars (good)
    Well here's another mug who switched from Sports to Expert thinking it would be too short for such a long journey from Dublin ! I can tell you during Gaelforce the thought crossed my mind more than once to email them to change back to sports again as soon as I got back to the hotel after finishing but I think I'll leave it, for now anyway.

Real men do Expert, grrrrrrr :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well here's another mug who switched from Sports to Expert thinking it would be too short for such a long journey from Dublin ! I can tell you during Gaelforce the thought crossed my mind more than once to email them to change back to sports again as soon as I got back to the hotel after finishing but I think I'll leave it, for now anyway.

Real men do Expert, grrrrrrr :P

Keep in mind that Achill expert is not as long as Gael Force.
    Achill worked out nearly 1.5 hours shorter for me last year.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, I had looked at the finishing times for last year before I switched to expert and saw that it wasn't as long a course time wise. I finished strong in gaelforce relative to those who finished around my time looking at the splits so it wasn't as if I came in dead on my feet.

4 stars (good)
    Wreck wrote: »
    Starting to have doubts about whether to switch to the kayak rather than swimming. The kayak at GF was so easy, and as I've a couple of friends I want to beat in Achill who are all doing the kayak, I don't want to disadvantage myself by opting for the swim. Guess I'll see how I go in training over the next week or so before making a decision.

i did the swim last yr, going for the kayak option this yr. unless they've made the kayak longer, the kayak was defo quicker last yr- the last of the kayakers were out of the water before the first of the swimmers last yr. also, there's teh delay with the wetsuit. unless ur a very very good swimmer, id go for the kayak option if ur looking to beat ur buddies..

4 stars (good)
    Ok, thanks all. My mind's made up -- I'm going to go with the Sport version.

It will allow me to do a bit of racing and have a bit more craic. Seeing as this is my first year at these events I think I can still be allowed to view myself as a novice. Next year it's expert all the way!

In any case I suppose it's probably good practice to build up speed at shorter distances before concentrating on longer event. Or that's what I'm telling myself anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know if its possible to rent a racer for a week anywhere in Dublin? I have a decent enough road bike but I'd like to use a racer for the triathlon if I can.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yourcompadre

I'm injured and have already signed up. Anyone interested in buying the entry off me? Please PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

4 stars (good)
    Quick question on the bike route, as mentioned earlier in the thread the route is pretty undualting, anybody have an opinion on whether a TT bike would be faster over the course? Are there suficient flatter sections to justify it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    trinewbie wrote: »
    Quick question on the bike route, as mentioned earlier in the thread the route is pretty undualting, anybody have an opinion on whether a TT bike would be faster over the course? Are there suficient flatter sections to justify it :confused:

I cycled it yesterday and there are some good long stretches where getting into a good aero position could pay dividends especially if it's windy. I'm not a great cyclist let alone time-triallist so I'm only guessing really! Compared to other races though the climbs are short. Last year there was a guy on a time trial bike leading with PeterX but he ran out of energy towards the end.

4 stars (good)
    I cycled it yesterday and there are some good long stretches where getting into a good aero position could pay dividends especially if it's windy. I'm not a great cyclist let alone time-triallist so I'm only guessing really! Compared to other races though the climbs are short. Last year there was a guy on a time trial bike leading with PeterX but he ran out of energy towards the end.

How is the route compared to GF gohard? Won't get a chance to go down before the race.

The last time I cycled in Achill it was a disaster. I rented a bike and was happily spinning around the island. Coming back up towards Keel, there's a bit of a hill. Got out of the saddle and the axle just snapped.

I know the island is quite up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Do you need to have a camel pack for water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    How is the route compared to GF gohard? Won't get a chance to go down before the race.

The last time I cycled in Achill it was a disaster. I rented a bike and was happily spinning around the island. Coming back up towards Keel, there's a bit of a hill. Got out of the saddle and the axle just snapped.

I know the island is quite up and down.

I wouldn't rent from them again! :D

The cycling section while longer (45k) is, I reckon, a little easier. You have a good few short hills as opposed to the whopper in Gaelforce (it's a whopper to me!). Quite a few sweeping sections where you can build up some speed. There's no off road section like in Gaelforce so you're cycling the whole time. One of the hardest parts in GF is the drag up to Croagh Patrick (and this year's route was tough as well) it's nice that the last 3k to Keel is all downhill. At the end you just run through transition across the finish line so if you're wearing cycling shoes you don't have to change into your runners again.

That was the case last year! They may have introduced a 1k sprint at the end - I don't know! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    1k run at the end, the cheeky feckers ;) If its anything like the GF finish then it will be dark by the time I get over the line :D

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    1k run at the end, the cheeky feckers ;) If its anything like the GF finish then it will be dark by the time I get over the line :D

Fact.

Plus beating last years time could be harder now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    Is there really a 1K run at the end? I'd love it if there was, the 800m at GF was one of my favourite parts of the race.

4 stars (good)
    Wreck wrote: »
    Is there really a 1K run at the end? I'd love it if there was, the 800m at GF was one of my favourite parts of the race.

Cud be a 1km ya. A lot of people liked the "suprise" at the end of GF, fricking thing added 3 mins extra to my time but it was good to loosen the old legs in the spring :D

4 stars (good)
    I wouldn't rent from them again! :D

The cycling section while longer (45k) is, I reckon, a little easier. You have a good few short hills as opposed to the whopper in Gaelforce (it's a whopper to me!). Quite a few sweeping sections where you can build up some speed. There's no off road section like in Gaelforce so you're cycling the whole time. One of the hardest parts in GF is the drag up to Croagh Patrick (and this year's route was tough as well) it's nice that the last 3k to Keel is all downhill. At the end you just run through transition across the finish line so if you're wearing cycling shoes you don't have to change into your runners again.

That was the case last year! They may have introduced a 1k sprint at the end - I don't know! :)

Cheers. That's reassuring. My cycling isn't great but found gf cycle leg bearable.

The roar finish looks great from last years pics. My tent and a beer will be just metres from line.

4 stars (good)
    Cheers. That's reassuring. My cycling isn't great but found gf cycle leg bearable.

The roar finish looks great from last years pics. My tent and a beer will be just metres from line.

Oooh and if you have squatters there when u get back ;)

WOuld love to camp down there also, could be some crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

cant wait for Achill now. If the weather is anything like it is today we're all in for a treat. Im only doing the sport category which is why im looking forward to it so much lol:P Have to get my running up to strength before i get down though, still want a decent time!

4 stars (good)
    Was looking forward to it until I started browsing the photos from last years expert run and saw this guy
    http://www.pbase.com/forrest5000/image/117266620 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 colmeamonn

Hi guys,

Unfortunately have had to pull out of achill ROAR this year due to injury, and friend out for other reasons. I have accommodation booked 50m from Keel beach in self catering. Sleeps 8 in 4 rooms, 3 of which en-suite. 300EURO for the whole weekend Fri to Sun.

I won't get my deposit back unless I find somebody for it.

If you are interested I can give you the lady's number/link to view house.

Great value, 50 quid each for the whole weekend if you had 6 people, even less if you filled it with 8.

Just send me a message and I'll give you more details.

Tx.

4 stars (good)
    Was looking forward to it until I started browsing the photos from last years expert run and saw this guy

Poor chap bonked pretty badly from what I hear

4 stars (good)
    Oooh and if you have squatters there when u get back ;)

WOuld love to camp down there also, could be some crack.

Free can at the finish line for the first three boardsies.

If the weather holds, it'll make for a fantastic weekend camping. If not, sure squalls blowing in from the Atlantic will make for an interesting night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Now you've scared me. Achill looks great in the pics tho'. I did the Achill Island 10k in April and the place looked very well in the sunshine. If the weather's good I may camp as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)

Have this from last year , you definately will not pick up anything from this to break records or even go fast for that matter but you might me able to spot where my buttocks began to cramp.

Finished the expert last year in just under 5hrs and it nearly killed me . Found it enjoyable and leisurely (not by choice) as you can see from my times and splits.

The course profile is on here -

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46901621

4 stars (good)
    Have this from last year , you definately will not pick up anything from this to break records or even go fast for that matter but you might me able to spot where my buttocks began to cramp.

Finished the expert last year in just under 5hrs and it nearly killed me . Found it enjoyable and leisurely (not by choice) as you can see from my times and splits.

The course profile is on here -

Cant access that link, is the activity set as public?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Free can at the finish line for the first three boardsies.

If the weather holds, it'll make for a fantastic weekend camping. If not, sure squalls blowing in from the Atlantic will make for an interesting night.

lol. A can of lungs :)

4 stars (good)

I'm pretty sure that I read yesterday on their site in the FAQs that a TT bike is not recommended, not sure of the reasons behind it, probably too twisty and hilly for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)

Say Whaaat??!!

On the expert and sport categories?? I havent been training for that! My legs are like jelly after a cycle so the spectators will have a good aul giggle at me shambling across the finish line! :o

3 stars (average)
    I'd say that finish is the same for both.

It will be tough alrite, but better for spectators at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    Cant access that link, is the activity set as public?
    It is now : as you can see my IT skills are on a par with my adventure racing skills

• Advertisement
Advertisement