Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)
    Expert:
    ThisRegard
    nerraw1111
    trinewbie
    GoHard
    Snailsong
    Pbull69
    Rinker

Sports:
    CKWPORT
    Wonkagirl
    Yop
    TooMuchDetail
    Mountain Rescue
    elchupanebrey
    Wreck (injury permitting)
    Head the wall
    thehamo
    Fi
    Knipper
    DogSlySmile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i used these during gaelforce on the soles of my feet, found them brilliant

http://www.compeed.ie/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=callous

pads for the balls of your feet basically

Blisters ! And yip, I swear by compeed too, have none left now though. See the Blister Hell thread in the main forum for my quest for large compeed, seems there's no such thing, only small and medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Blisters ! And yip, I swear by compeed too, have none left now though. See the Blister Hell thread in the main forum for my quest for large compeed, seems there's no such thing, only small and medium.

these ones that i was using were pretty big- albeit for a female size 7 feet- but they covered the entire ball of my foot

4 stars (good)
    I'm a dainty size 7 (7.5 for some fits !) for a man :D It's a pain when trying to get some shoes, but a bonus during the sales as that's all that's usually left.

4 stars (good)
    I'm a dainty size 7 (7.5 for some fits !) for a man :D It's a pain when trying to get some shoes, but a bonus during the sales as that's all that's usually left.

well these bad boys would be perfect for u so, they covered the entire of the ball of my foot.. i actually bought them in spain, maybe they're not selling them here yet. have u seen them?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Don't recall seeing them as I was on the look out for the blister ones, they may have been there but I just didn't take any notice. I must have a look again, I have the problems on the arch of my foot after doing a good distance. Cheers !

4 stars (good)
    Just saw this on the roar website:

Registration at Cycle Superstore in Tallaght on Wednesday 8th between 12noon and 9pm.

Grand, that'll save me a stressful night of speeding to achill b4 11 o'clock from work

4 stars (good)
    Don't recall seeing them as I was on the look out for the blister ones, they may have been there but I just didn't take any notice. I must have a look again, I have the problems on the arch of my foot after doing a good distance. Cheers !

yeah i had arch problems during gaelforce- 2 matching blisters on both arches. have pinpointed all hotspots am will have blister patches on them for achill.

need to get my new innov8s this weekend as well to break them in.

4 stars (good)

Registration at Cycle Superstore in Tallaght on Wednesday 8th between 12noon and 9pm.

Grand, that'll save me a stressful night of speeding to achill b4 11 o'clock from work

BRILLIANT! that's great news. Genius idea from the lads. Take note gaelforce. No reason why GF couldnt do a dublin register on the thurs before, then just bike drop on the friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I was having terrible blisters too - ended up walking 20km of the wicklow way in my male mates size 11 flip flops cause my feet were bleeding soo badly. anyway i got this spray in boots that you spray on the hot spots before you do anything and you let it dry. it creates an extra layer of protection and i havent had any blisters since. i also invested in some technical smart wool socks which have had huge impact too :)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    I was having terrible blisters too - ended up walking 20km of the wicklow way in my male mates size 11 flip flops cause my feet were bleeding soo badly. anyway i got this spray in boots that you spray on the hot spots before you do anything and you let it dry. it creates an extra layer of protection and i havent had any blisters since. i also invested in some technical smart wool socks which have had huge impact too :)

thanks Fi- is it boots own brand, or can you recall? scholl maybe?

the smart wool socks are essential.. if you did any distance in cotton socks you'd be in bits! i cant imagine how fooked your ankles mustve been after walking 20km of wicklow way in flipflops, jesus:eek: Better than cutting the skin off yourself i suppose

Have you done much training since GFW? i've done 1 run, that's it. disgusted with myself. going to get a bit in this weekend hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

In the name of jesus what were you doing for 10 mins, did you have a shower, shave, and a cuppa??:D You must have changed your shoes clearly, but still..

i'd say i was definitely less than a minute in and out- helmut on, bike off rack, gone..

after I left the bog, I sat down, ate a banana, and changed socks. At the transition I ate something, drank water, added the diuralyte to the bottle on the bike, got stuff from the backpack to have in my pocket on the bike, and searched for a bin for 3 minutes. Not exactly seamless. I saved time by shaving on the bike, obv. I'm not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Expert:
    ThisRegard
    nerraw1111
    trinewbie
    GoHard
    Snailsong
    Pbull69
    Rinker
    smurphy29

Sports:
    CKWPORT
    Wonkagirl
    Yop
    TooMuchDetail
    Mountain Rescue
    elchupanebrey
    Wreck (injury permitting)
    Head the wall
    thehamo
    Fi
    Knipper
    DogSlySmile

Add me to the list! Managed to yank my neck earlier in the week and it's been at me since. Went to physio today and should be fine for Achill. Still, annoying! Great news about the registration on wednesday, and a great idea.

4 stars (good)

Good spot, I had a look at the website this morning and never saw it, saves that bit of hassle alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Did my last hardish sessions last night in the park. Was not in the mood for it at all despite the spectacular sunset and views.

Suffered through it knowing it'll be easy street next week.

It was sort of a brick session in that I used the free Dublin Bikes either side of the run to get home. Nifty little things but I must've looked ridiculous zipping through Georges street on it, looking exhausted with a camelbak on my bag sucking the last bit of water out of it.

4 stars (good)
    peter o farrell did it in 3'11 last yr, so it's definitely a quicker race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Cant remember the brand but will check tonight and let you know! 20km in flip flops - yeah was a bit wrecked but TBH it was so much less painful i was happy :)
    As for training since GF - have been for one run & nearly had a heart attack...have also been eating for Ireland since then so not sure i am fit for this one at all :) should be a laugh though!

I was wondering why its called Roar. I have a terrible vision of finding out, about halfway up the mountain...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    snailsong wrote: »
    I was wondering why its called Roar. I have a terrible vision of finding out, about halfway up the mountain...

Oh you will see....... make sure the extra tight underpants aint on though ;)

yop wrote: »
    Oh you will see....... make sure the extra tight underpants aint on though ;)

I'll take the precaution of wearing my brown trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)

I think its more a case of "ROAR" ... you soon will....
    Tough, tough run- hardest I have ever done.

Any of the locals doing the Westport half marathon tomorrow ?

Everyone else could just move up here for a month in August for GF,ROAR and the half marathon , could have got the marathons in Galway in last week also.

I think its more a case of "ROAR" ... you soon will....
    Tough, tough run- hardest I have ever done.

Everyone else could just move up here for a month in August for GF,ROAR and the half marathon , could have got the marathons in Galway in last week also.

starting to have second thoughts about the expert after the comments on here. I could easily come last. Not doing the race tomorrow, might be at the finish.

4 stars (good)
    How do!

Just wondering how much rest the lads and ladies on here are planning on getting before the race? Would 2 days rest be enough or are yis planning on gettin more than that? Dont wanna be knackered startin this thing ya know!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

personally im gonna give it Thursday and Friday rest. Goin out for an 8km run now, cycle Monday, 8km run Tuesday, small 15-20km cycle wednesday and then rest rest rest.

Saying that, im no elite athlete, nor an expert on the subject but thats how im doin it anyways:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

3 stars (average)
    How do!

Just wondering how much rest the lads and ladies on here are planning on getting before the race? Would 2 days rest be enough or are yis planning on gettin more than that? Dont wanna be knackered startin this thing ya know!

Cheers

Depends on if you're doing the sports or expert I suppose, and your overall level of fitness and recovery time after training sessions.

I went for a spin this morning and the legs were well tired even at the start, even though I hadn't done anything since thursday. It made me reevaluate the upcoming weeks schedule anyway. Some light running and maybe an easy spin on wednesday and that's it. Last thing I want is tired legs on saturday morning.

Another day like today weatherwise will do the job though.

3 stars (average)
    I'll take the precaution of wearing my brown trousers.
    We'll spot ya handy enough so:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jpchippy

4 stars (good)
    You guys are makin me feel bad, I was taking most of the week off, best get a few kms in so and give thw bike a spin wed :o

4 stars (good)
    did a 6km run/15km cycle yest.. going to do the same tomo and wed, then rest up..

4 stars (good)
    Cheers for the replies on the subject of rest! Think I'll start easing up on the training now for Saturday.

Question for the people who did roar last year....

I was looking at pics of the 2009 roar and it looks like a lot people who did the kayak were all wearing runners. Example http://www.roar.ie/achill-roar/gallery1/slides/achille%20race%20164.html I was kinda planning on doing the kayak part bare-foot...

Did the people who did this last year keep on the same runners for all the parts of the triathlon or did they leave a new (dry) pair of runners at the kayak-run transition to change into?

Ta for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Did the people who did this last year keep on the same runners for all the parts of the triathlon or did they leave a new (dry) pair of runners at the kayak-run transition to change into?

Stick with one pair of runners for the whole event, if you leave a dry pair at the transition to change into, they wont be dry for long as the run section has plenty of wet sections, there are a few large streams running down the beach, and the start of the hill climb was extremely muddy last year, up over your ankles, so changing runners to keep dry will be pointless.

Hope the weather clears up to before the end of the week, its rank here today.

3 stars (average)

Oh Yes.
    Feeling the pain today too. :(
    Hopefully be fit for Saturday, will be sound for the bike stage, but the running could be tough now.

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Stick with one pair of runners for the whole event... there are a few large streams running down the beach, and the start of the hill climb was extremely muddy last year, up over your ankles, so changing runners to keep dry will be pointless.

Ahhh, so if someone was training for this it might have been a good idea to get some training while wearing sopping wet runners? To get used to the weight I mean.

Hope the weather clears up to before the end of the week, its rank here today.

Same in Dublin man... I'm not goin runnin in that sh*te!

3 stars (average)
    Ahhh, so if someone was training for this it might have been a good idea to get some training while wearing sopping wet runners?

They will drain quickly and you won't even notice after a few steps, I wouldn't worry about it all all!!!

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Stick with one pair of runners for the whole event

At GF this year I was told of one person who brought 3 pairs of footwear with them last year, bike shoes, trail shoes and another dry regular pair of runners to change into for Croagh Patrick :eek: They wanted a dry pair of shoes for the start of each stage.

4 stars (good)
    I purchased my new innov8's on sat- jesus they're fierce comforable- dying to bring them for a testdrive now later.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    What ones did you get ? I was looking at a few in Basecamp on Saturday but can't justify buying more runners.

4 stars (good)
    What ones did you get ? I was looking at a few in Basecamp on Saturday but can't justify buying more runners.

roclite 295

jesus, they're weightless on the feet. i hope there's enough support in them. they feel great anyway, wore them around town yesterday. got them in 'the edge' in cork. 90 eur that i cant really afford, but what harm, i genuinely did need them, i left my solomans behind me in westport (on purpose)- they'd done a lot of mileage and gave me about 6 blisters during GFW

the guy in great outdoors told me he's been trying to get in touch with the sales dept in innov8 for 4 yrs and they dont return his calls. odd one. the only places that stock them are basecamp, the edge (cork) and amphibian king (bray). maybe that's just the way they like it, exclusivity etc- although hardly seeing as how they are available on wiggle etc. the guy in great outdoors said he wouldnt wear anything else, and whispered to me ''dont go for 2nd best with the solomans, there's no comparison''

4 stars (good)
    I know it's hard to tell at this point, and Castlebar is the closest reading available, but it's looks mediocre for sat..

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/EIXX0006

30% chance of rain. I doubt it'll be a repeat of last yr anyway, which was early 20s and cloudless!

4 stars (good)
    It's probably a little too early in the week for an accurate forecase, as Accuweather is predicting highs of 17 as opposed to The Weather Channels 14. I'm not liking the prediction of 32kph gusts though.

4 stars (good)
    It's probably a little too early in the week for an accurate forecase, as Accuweather is predicting highs of 17 as opposed to The Weather Channels 14. I'm not liking the prediction of 32kph gusts though.

there were even higher gusts 4cast for GFW tho which never came to pass thankfully... i suppose the moral of the story is that the west of ireland weather is notoriously changeable so prepare appropriately! god it was glorious last yr, it was like being in malibu lounging on the beach afterwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    Weather will probably be a factor this year for sure with no where to hide as we willl be getting full force from the Athlantic breezes off Keel Bay.
    The odd thing though is that its still warm, did the 1/2 Marathon in Westport yesterday in just a teeshirt and shorts and it was well breezy but never cold.

Can't believe its a year since we did it, but looking forward to it, get a run in tomorrow morning, 40k on the bike Wednesday and then a walk Thursday will do the trot. Its a very manageable distance though (famous last words!!!) ;)

4 stars (good)
    The odd thing though is that its still warm, did the 1/2 Marathon in Westport yesterday in just a teeshirt and shorts and it was well breezy but never cold.

tis always different on a bike tho, or is it just me? i always feel the cold/wind more on the bike

looking fwd to the piss up afterwards i have to say, much better craic than GFW, smaller and more relaxed or something. altho it'll be pretty busy tho i guess this yr with the higher no's taking part- anyone got a latest figure..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    I see the mandatory kit might include a spare fleece top dependent on weather. I presume this doesn't mean the bulky fleeces we're familar with in Ireland? Would a technical base layer be sufficient?

Hopefully it's dry out as I've discovered I'm about as stable as bambi on ice when it comes to wet roads.

Was out yesterday on the bike in the lashing rain and had two spills. One was at about 2kmph where foot was stuck in toe clip. The next one was at 60 kmph where i got the approach completely wrong. Braked too late, back wheel locked and I flew into a ditch full of nettles. Winded for about a minute. Pretty lucky as a few metres further it would';ve be a stone bridge and a 6 foot drop. Sore body today and legs still fizzling from stingers.

I fear my descent will suffer big time as a result.

4 stars (good)
    tis always different on a bike tho, or is it just me? i always feel the cold/wind more on the bike

Defo agree! Running into the wind is pretty tough but cycling into the wind is like a little slice of hell on earth. Not to mention a real motivation killer...

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The next one was at 60 kmph where i got the approach completely wrong. Braked too late, back wheel locked and I flew into a ditch full of nettles. Winded for about a minute. Pretty lucky as a few metres further it would';ve be a stone bridge and a 6 foot drop. Sore body today and legs still fizzling from stingers.

And I can assure everyone it was quite spectacular :D You forgot to tell everyone that once we were sure you were still working we then had to go looking in the ditches for the glasses that flew off your head :p

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I see the mandatory kit might include a spare fleece top dependent on weather. I presume this doesn't mean the bulky fleeces we're familar with in Ireland? Would a technical base layer be sufficient?

Hopefully it's dry out as I've discovered I'm about as stable as bambi on ice when it comes to wet roads.

Was out yesterday on the bike in the lashing rain and had two spills. One was at about 2kmph where foot was stuck in toe clip. The next one was at 60 kmph where i got the approach completely wrong. Braked too late, back wheel locked and I flew into a ditch full of nettles. Winded for about a minute. Pretty lucky as a few metres further it would';ve be a stone bridge and a 6 foot drop. Sore body today and legs still fizzling from stingers.

Wow, lucky to walk away with only that!!

Using back and front brakes together I hope?

Roads won't be great if the rain is up, slow guys down a little ;)

4 stars (good)
    And I can assure everyone it was quite spectacular :D You forgot to tell everyone that once we were sure you were still working we then had to go looking in the ditches for the glasses that flew off your head :p

As Carly Simon sang down the radio eh ;) *

*And don't tell me you are too young to know the song ;)

3 stars (average)
    As Carly Simon sang down the radio eh ;) *

*And don't tell me you are too young to know the song ;)

Yeah too young, or ill informed musically.

4 stars (good)
    I'm not too young, I think, and always thought I had a good musical head but that's gone way over my head ! The only songs of hers I know are You're so vain and Coming round again and I can't make either fit into that scenario.

4 stars (good)
    Set my alarm early this morning to get up for a spinning class... one last ditch attempt to get the fitness levels up for the wend. needless to mention it went off and i said FOOK that and reset it for an hour later.. disgusted with myself now. Might try and throw in a 5km run later, but in all honesty there's probably little point. Have been so bold since gaelforce. Have only done 1 run!

• Advertisement
Advertisement