Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill ROAR- Sat 11th Sept 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    Rinker wrote: »
    I still have gatorskins on my bike since Gaelforce. Any advice on whether I should stick with them or change back to my regular tyres? Do gatorskins give any greater grip or are they simply just more puncture resistant?:confused:

Same here. apparently gatorskins are brilliant in the rain- but then, there's not a high chance of rain really by the looks of things

Regular tyres are a weeny bit faster, but i'm too lazy to change mine now. gatorskins it is.

I have another small problem tho- my front brakes arent working. either too tight or too lose- no in between. will cycle to local store in sandymount at lunch tomorrow and beg for assistance!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nevskin

Mod edit- infraction given for spamming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Same here. apparently gatorskins are brilliant in the rain- but then, there's not a high chance of rain really by the looks of things

Regular tyres are a weeny bit faster, but i'm too lazy to change mine now. gatorskins it is.

]

I like the way you're thinking Wonkagirl. So that's my decision made. I didn't really fancy getting into all that tyre changing rigmarole anyway. Can't offer any advice about brakes. Think the bike shop is yer best option at this stage. Really must get myself along to one of those free bike maintenance workshops in Wheelworx at some stage.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    GoHard wrote:
    This year I'll be in a single kayak so that might be a *slight* disadvantage.

How does that work this year, is it similar to the elite in Gaelforce or are you bringing your own ?

Yeah, I'm bringing my own kayak. I was slagged off by Enduro and PeterX for hopping in a double kayak with Dapope and passing them out as they struggled with the ungainly single person sit-on-tops. Those with a chance of winning had to take single sit-on-tops. So I don't think I did anything wrong! This year you can bring your own kayak. I reckon a decent pair of people on a two man sit-on-top will be faster than my Lawrence Easkey boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

4 stars (good)
    Originally Posted by Git101 viewpost.gif
    Expert:
    ThisRegard
    nerraw1111
    trinewbie
    GoHard
    Snailsong
    Pbull69
    Rinker
    smurphy29
    mooseygoat
    jeffontour
    Git101
    seanie500

Sports:
    CKWPORT
    Wonkagirl
    Yop
    TooMuchDetail
    Mountain Rescue
    elchupanebrey
    Wreck (injury permitting)
    Head the wall
    thehamo
    Fi
    Knipper
    DogSlySmile
    woody1... slowly.. legs still stiff from ben nevis last wknd and rough diamond the wknd before

Soilse - woke up to nice weather this morn can't wait now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    I hope they have removed that dibber in the middle of the cycle section in sports anyways.

It was on a downhill, on a corner, you had to jam on and dib in and back on the bike, it was in a crazy spot.

If they have to have a dibber section in the cycle, it should be on the brow of a hill or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4 stars (good)
    From looking at the map yesterday there's still have a checkpoint mid way through the cycle, don't know where it was last year so can't compare the position between this year and last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Expert:
    ThisRegard
    nerraw1111
    trinewbie
    GoHard
    Snailsong
    Pbull69
    Rinker
    smurphy29
    mooseygoat
    jeffontour
    Git101
    seanie500
    Sniipe - It seems jeffontour doesn't want me to race ??

Sports:
    CKWPORT
    Wonkagirl
    Yop
    TooMuchDetail
    Mountain Rescue
    elchupanebrey
    Head the wall
    thehamo
    Fi
    Knipper
    DogSlySmile
    woody1
    Soilse

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Eido

3 stars (average)
    Expert:
    ThisRegard
    nerraw1111
    trinewbie
    GoHard
    Snailsong
    Pbull69
    Rinker
    smurphy29
    mooseygoat
    jeffontour
    Git101
    seanie500
    Eido

Sports:
    CKWPORT
    Wonkagirl
    Yop
    TooMuchDetail
    Mountain Rescue
    elchupanebrey
    Head the wall
    thehamo
    Fi
    Knipper
    DogSlySmile
    woody1
    Soilse

Only about 27 women doing expert according to list on the Roar website....points anyone? Unfortunately it does mean having to finish in top 5 or 6 in order to come in top 20%. Boo! Should be an interesting battle though. Given that it's my second adventure race, don't know why I'm even thinking about all of this...obviously getting carried away with the excitement of it all! Roll on Saturday!

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    I hope they have removed that dibber in the middle of the cycle section in sports anyways.

It was on a downhill, on a corner, you had to jam on and dib in and back on the bike, it was in a crazy spot.

If they have to have a dibber section in the cycle, it should be on the brow of a hill or something.

jesus yeah- what a dose that was! i overshot it and had to fecking cycle back up about 50metres. pain in the arse, but they reckoned people would gain too much speed (eh, it's a race?) otherwise. it's nowhere near as bad a bend as that awful one in GF.

Didnt manage to get to tallaght last nite to register as i got home to a flat tyre on my car.. raging, as i was planning on having a chat to paul if he was there, about a few things- one of them being the above!

Still have no front brakes in the bike. wont make it to shop at lunch time, so hopefully they're open late!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Still have no front brakes in the bike. wont make it to shop at lunch time, so hopefully they're open late!

what exactly is wrong with the breaks wonkagirl?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Sniipe wrote: »
    Expert:
    Soilse

Doh, my bad, sorry. If only real world removal of competition was that easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ShabbyIrishDad

Hi All,

This is my first race like this, and have only been training for the last 5 weeks. Am looking forward to it, have no real target time other than to complete the race (sports race), but was just wondering of you could advise what snacks etc you would recommend to bring for during the race?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

4 stars (good)
    Hi All,

This is my first race like this, and have only been training for the last 5 weeks. Am looking forward to it, have no real target time other than to complete the race (sports race), but was just wondering of you could advise what snacks etc you would recommend to bring for during the race?
    Thanks!

Rule number once should be to use a nutrition plan that you have used in training. If you have not used energy gels / bars before its a bad ida to start using them on race day, trust me, stick to what you know with regards to race nutrition (food and drink)

Personally Ill be sticking to 2 750ml bottles on the bike, one with nuun (http://www.nuun.com/what-is-nuun.html) and another with 4:1 energy mix,
    (http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-energy-high-5-energy-source-4-1-1-6kg.)

Ill probably get a high five energy gel into me around 20 minutes into the run and another two on the bike...will also carry something solid like a nutri grain elevensees in case the stomach feels empty and I feel like im getting close to bonking

You shouldnt need that much fuel for the sports race, assuming you have eaten well in the days leading up to the race your body should have suffiecient energy reserves to get your around...If you have not tried a nutrition plan in training stick to something safe, like watered down energy drink (Powerade/gatorade) on the bike, and maybe something sugery but easily digestible like wine gums/nutrigrain.

MOST IMPORTANTLY enjoy your first race...:)

4 stars (good)
    Hi All,

Thanks!

hey, hope you enjoy it! it was only my 2nd ever race last yr (first being GF) and i loved it. It's a brilliant race to start off with too.

Anyway- in the morning, have a good breakfast and that'll see you right for the first hour of the race. for the second hour, maybe try an energy bar (sellotape it to the bike), and as triN has said- fluids with diorlyte or nuun.. i'll be taking 750ml of fluid- half luco sport half water, and 1 sachet of diorlyte.. food wise, i have a packet of the Power shots- energy gels in sweets, they taste like cola bottles, they are my new find, feckin love them!

a banana is always good too- quick releasing sugars.

hope it goes well for you, and as triN said, HAVE FUN!

ETA- shabby- trinewbie is doing the expert course (as opposed to sports)- in case you think ul need to consume as much, you wont.. i would say about 200 calories for the 2nd hour shoudl be enough, you should be sufficiently fuelled up from breakfast for the first hour. not sure how fit you are but race times last yr were anything from 1hr 30 - 3 hours or therabouts.. ul probably do it in 2.30 or so but i havent a clue obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    Doing the sports, I'm going to go with a banana straight after the swim, and a power bar when I get to the bike. I'll have a second bar with me but hopefully I'll be finished before I need it! Drink wise I'm taking some lucozade sport in the camelbak for the run and will have 750 ml of diluted High 5 on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

4 stars (good)
    Porridge for breakfast and then I'll be drinking Power bar energise from a camelbak (1.5l) and have a few High 5 Isogels for whenever. The isogels can be drank straight down, no diluting or water needed.

I don't do cramps so won't need any of those Nuuns or salt yokes :D

pbenerg.jpg1273057195772-i116ose2cuz8-500-90-500-70.jpg

4 stars (good)
    Wreck wrote: »
    Doing the sports, I'm going to go with a banana straight after the swim, and a power bar when I get to the bike. I'll have a second bar with me but hopefully I'll be finished before I need it! Drink wise I'm taking some lucozade sport in the camelbak for the run and will have 750 ml of diluted High 5 on the bike.

jeez, sounds like a lot for 2 hours? i'm not planning on eating or drinking anything til i get onthe bike, and definitely not carrying a camelbak. no need, in my view. if i went for a 10km run normally, i would just pre and post hydrate. everyone's different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Doing the expert but heres my food and drink plan anyway.
    Prehydrate diluted 5:1 energy drink 500m 1 hour before start.
    I'll carry 1L of water in camelbak on the run. 1 hour into the race I'll take my first gel, another after 1.30.
    once on the bike i'll have a banana and very shortly afterwards a powerbar. Then 3 more gels with caffeine spread out evenly over remainder of race. I'll have 500ml 5:1 energy drink and 500ml water with dioralyte on the bike and will be sipping regularly. This is based on a target time of about 4hrs.:D

it may seem like overkill on the gels and energy drinks but I forced myself to consume them in Gaelforce and couldn't believe how well my energy levels were sustained. Did a much better time on Croach Patrick than I had in training even though I'd been travelling for 3 hrs by the time i got there and was cramping quiet badly. (got a lot of advice from the lads in wheelworx Clondalkin about what to take and found their suggestions really useful).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    Will be there but not sure about competing due to ITB issue from GF and the Westport half marathon last week .
    As we missed an opportunity for introductions at GF Should we do something to identify ourselves at ROAR ?
    Seen simple notices with the boards names pinned to the back of jerseys work a treat at the Conn half marathon.
    Either that or we all chant "Peter Griffin is God" at exactly 9:48am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Will be there but not sure about competing due to ITB issue from GF and the Westport half marathon last week .
    As we missed an opportunity for introductions at GF Should we do something to identify ourselves at ROAR ?
    Seen simple notices with the boards names pinned to the back of jerseys work a treat at the Conn half marathon.
    Either that or we all chant "Peter Griffin is God" at exactly 9:48am.

I like the griffin idea. Lol. I'll stick a big B on my number. And then some pints later

Down here already. Weather is nuts. One destroyed tent later and I've retreated to a hotel.

4 stars (good)
    oh yikes are you serious nerraw? what is the local 4cast for sat, do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Its p1ssing out in Westport too, so sick of this rain all week long.

According to Accuweather Saturday is like this "Times of clouds with Sun with spotty showers". Met Eireann is the same.

The weather app on my iphone has a lightning symbol for achill on saturday, not good.

So we could get anything, prepare for the worst it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

4 stars (good)
    dont think the rain will make much difference , would almost prefer it . Think the bigger worry is the damage already done to the bog/off off road run, the ground was wet last year for the expert and it hadn't rained in a while . can only imagine what its like now.could be a tricky run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Forecast seems ok, usual Irish weather. I reckon it'll be clear judging by previous wrong reports... Picnic anyone?

I just picked the wrong time to put the tent up. Weather not that bad to break a tent. But when it's only half way up, it's kite flying time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

think its due to get better tomorrow :) sure its more of an adventure if its messy...and will justify that enormous kit people have been complaining about haha! :D:D

I will be easy to spot, will be down the back somewhere wearing pink buff, probably pink top & on a tiny mountain bike :) will be purple in the face too!
    be sure to say hi if yee see me :)

will be heading to the party after for sure!

4 stars (good)
    i think the 'b' on the number is a good call.. i'll have my pink HH tulfarris10 tech top on, pink buff too.. altho if it;s raining it's a blue north face rainjacket. hpoefully that'll be left behind :mad:

as TMD said, the approach into the mountain is going to be mudfest 2010, it was bad last yr as it was, and the weather had been good all week!

dreaddddddddddddddddding the 6pm traffic ex dublin tomorrow.. cant get out any earlier unfort., not when i left so early for GF>. .. goddamn work, who needs it:rolleyes: Always gettin in teh way of my social life and fitness aims!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

4 stars (good)
    So what's do ye usually leave in transition (apart from bike and helmet ;) )?

I dont know...sounds like pink is the colour of choice...maybe everyone should wear a pink top...would be easy to spot the lads anyway :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I'll be staying at the campsite tomorrow. I'll be in a silver 99 G toyota mini-van, just big enough to sleep one person. I'll arrive latish tomorrow and leave on sat but come along and say hello anyone who's at the campsite tomorrow night or sat at breakfast. I'll have a few tools if you didn't get your brakes ajusted, Wonka, or anyone else.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Is there any sort of bike shop in Achill, need to pick up some lubricant for my chain.

4 stars (good)
    Is there any sort of bike shop in Achill, need to pick up some lubricant for my chain.

I coudlnt say for sure, but i'd be shocked. we struggled to get food last yr when we arrived at 9pm- i wouldnt advise that anyone bank on getting fed down there tonite unless you're arriving early..

coudl you stop in castlebar en route?

4 stars (good)
    snailsong wrote: »
    I'll be staying at the campsite tomorrow. I'll be in a silver 99 G toyota mini-van, just big enough to sleep one person. I'll arrive latish tomorrow and leave on sat but come along and say hello anyone who's at the campsite tomorrow night or sat at breakfast. I'll have a few tools if you didn't get your brakes ajusted, Wonka, or anyone else.

ah you're as good, thanks so much! i'm going to bring my bike to reg tonite, brian keogh is a great man for things like that, but if they're too busy or not there, i'll come down to you if you dont mind! thanks again.

4 stars (good)
    So what's do ye usually leave in transition (apart from bike and helmet ;) )?

it'll all depend on the weather- if it's dry, i'll leave my rain jacket there and a banana/liquids.. also buff. i get cold when i'm cycling so i'll have the jacket on me most likely.

what's the weather like there today, nerraw/CKW?

4 stars (good)
    it'll all depend on the weather- if it's dry, i'll leave my rain jacket there and a banana/liquids.. also buff. i get cold when i'm cycling so i'll have the jacket on me most likely.

what's the weather like there today, nerraw/CKW?

Not going fast enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭knipper

Well lads finally given up the ghost won't be going to Achill.
    After all my training and working to improve my ITB ( still not cured) I twisted my ankle playing a match last weekend.
    Was hoping til last night I could go but unfortunately its not up to it.
    Was going to be my first race looks like my virginity is going to last a bit longer!
    Anyway not sure if your allowed to but I can forward my email if anyone wants to chance being me for the day and do the sports one.
    Be a shame to let it go to waste.
    Free of charge obviously.

4 stars (good)
    Not going fast enough :D

the faster i go the colder i get!! tis the wind!

i'm always cold though. i'm living in the wrong continent all told!:D

sorry to hear that kipper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

4 stars (good)
    Leaving Dublin shortly, good luck everyone! Hope to bump into a few of you down there, I'll probably be the only guy doing the swim in the last wave without a wetsuit, should be easy enough to spot. :eek:

Sweeny's just after you go over the bridge into Achill seem to sell everything, they might have it (beside super valu). There's a Halfords in Castlebar if you're coming that way. If you're totally stuck for something pm me and I could pick it up in westport this afternoon before I leave.

I have that spray stuff in the car if you need it - will be down around 8pm i reckon!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    snailsong wrote: »
    . There's a Halfords in Castlebar...

jeez, they're popping up everywhere!:eek:

I'd go there if i were you this regard, just in case.. particularly if you're arriving late.

i do always prefer to support the sweeneys over the halfords tho. i hope achill businesses have a good weekend out of the race, i'm sure they will.. gorgeous place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 katie_h

Hello there,

Just wondering if anyone is planning on doing the swim tomorrow?

I thought it was going to be a 200m beach dash to the sea, but, just re-read the final race details and it is 750m over to the the lake.

A bit concerned about running that far in a wetsuit and also having to wear runners over and back? :( Anyone got any thoughts / advice on this?

Very excited though!!! :D Thanks! K

4 stars (good)
    Thanks everyone, should be arriving early evening so will pop into one of those places mentioned above.

4 stars (good)
    No need for the wetsuit, you're going to get wet anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 stars (good)
    i think most will be more jogging than running .. was in the lake a few weeks ago kayaking i know its not the same ! and the water was very warm...
    as far as identification goes if its raining il be wearing a grey and black camouflage trespass rain top if not prob a black lidl cyling jersey if i think of it il put a b on the number ... or there might be a giant boxer dog bouncing about around me on the start/finish... if you see 2 very similar looking tall guys one SLIGHTLY older looking than the other thatl be me and the bro...

Good luck everyone...if i dont see anyone at the race rendez vous here on monday for a review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

4 stars (good)
    anyone know if there will be a a stall selling gels/energy bars at the race tomorrow? As you can see, I'm organised :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

4 stars (good)
    Didnt see any gels or that down there, are you stuck?

Good gang of Boardsies doing it, good luck to all.

Weather down there at 7pm was class, so hopefully it holds out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    Great event, so well organised.
    I love this course. I'll post a report when I get a chance.... Way too tired now !!
    Met some boardsies.
    Well done to all.

• Advertisement

Great race, tough conditions, fell on the run, sore leg, went slowly thereon, good cycle, very tough headwind, finished wrecked in 4.51, met a few guys from here. Full report later.

Advertisement