Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on the Cheap, how can it be done?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

I wouldn't mind looking like Pete Doherty

(even though I'm a girl)

:eek:

why?? is it the horrible complexion or greasy hair that does it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

The combination makes for some pleasant charm....:D

Nah he looks nasty there but at Glastonbury he was a-okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

or the fact he can't sing for s***?

I've seen him live,not a fact I'm proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

He did it for me anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Anyway, if I may go back on to the topic: visit the Asian Market on Drury St. downtown for bargains. Highlights include:
    - Noodle bowls for around €1. Like Pot Noodles, but better, bigger, and spicier. You won't be able to read the packs, but it doesn't matter.
    - Boil-in-bag Indian veggie curries from under €2. Indian as in imported from India, no Balti-type stuff.
    - Rice: big bags for much less than the supermarkets.
    - All kinds of weird frozen stuff, like fish balls, dumplings, samosas, and so on, for not much.
    - Lots of weird spicy stuff, like Sweet Chilli Sauce, or Lime Pickle, which is to

Get some kind of steamer (e.g. double pot) and you can do rice or noodles in the bottom, fish and veggies and dumplings in the top: cheap, healthy, filling. Burp.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Mushy wrote: »
    That cheap, sand-paper-esque toilet paper...its now your friend!

Agree on cereals mentioned, altho if ya want variety, do get it. But buy the cheaper stuff, Tesco-brand stuff. Actually, buy all Tesco brand stuff(or of equivalent cheapness).

No, cheap toilet paper's no real saving because (1) there are fewer sheets on the roll and (2) you need to use more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

994 wrote: »
    No, cheap toilet paper's no real saving because (1) there are fewer sheets on the roll and (2) you need to use more of it.

Toilet paper, if you want to be really scabby (not judging anyone) about it you can just 'liberate' some from the college toilets. If you can access the odd roll (i.e. don't do it all the time) then you can save yourself a few bob. Or you can 'liberate' some toilet roll from back home. On average though, the big green packs of toilet roll from Lidl are okay, there's some lasting out of them, I haven't averaged it out but I've found them to have some lasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

head down to the shop in the Clonskeagh mosque, 10-15minutes from UCD
    nice fancy food, fairly well priced and usually in bulk!

And the restaurant is fairly cheap if you feel like treating yourself, after saving all that money from toilet paper :P

Also, if you go out! Don't drink! 10euro for the night if you live near UCD and get a taxi with a few people back!

I know some people who bough mini heaters they plug into the socket, for about 15quid so they don't have to pay expensive heating bills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

El Siglo wrote: »
    This is a crucial skill, if you're studying anthropology to zoology living on the cheap is something to get into early. This will probably be the hardest transition to make, but if properly executed, you'll be sorted for the year.
    Some points to start things off:
    • Never eat at the arts café/Insomnia.Elements, they're far too expensive.
    • SU Shop, €1.15 for coffee, and even less if you bring your own cup (about €0.80).
    • Indo, Times, Guardian are something like €0.80 in the SU Shops, but better still go on the website themselves fore news etc...
    • Avoid shopping in small shops (i.e. if it's not a medium to large supermarket, it will be expensive) so avoid Spar, Centra etc... for big shopping.
    • Learn the location of your nearest Aldi, Lidl etc...
    • Don't buy books.
    • Invest in a lunch box.
    • Invest in a thermos (I know it sounds pathetic but you'll save about €15.00/week on average).
    • Beans are full of protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals, excellent supplement to any meal, and are about €0.65 in Lidl.
    • Eggs are dirt cheap, full of protein worth supplementing any 'carb fest' (i.e. lots of pasta).
    • Aldi: 2 kilos pasta = €2.00 and 4 jars sauce = €4.00.
    • Bring pasta/ham sandwiches into college for lunch or cycle home for lunch.
    • If you smoke, cut down or quit. If you have to smoke, learn how to roll packet of drum will set you back €4.00.
    • If you drink, start at home first - always, it's really cheap then going out.
    • Buy cans from Lidl or Aldi, get used to drinking Excelsior and Buckfast.
    • 'Liberate' food from back home, if you meat this is very important.
    • Start having porridge for breakfast. A large bag of it will set you back €3.00 and lasts about 3 weeks.
    • Same goes for weetabix, 48 pack in Lidl will set you back about €3.83 in Lidl.
    This is all I can think of at the moment, feel free to add to it!:D

Hey, you guys mind if I put these tips on my site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Don't live on campus. €480 a month could get you a far superior room very near to college; a decent room can be found for under €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Don't live on campus. €480 a month could get you a far superior room very near to college; a decent room can be found for under €400.

try €300!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Oh well I've failed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Oh well I've failed :)

Miserably but you will have the best year of your life!:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Also, if you go out! Don't drink!

Sweet mother of god:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Limit toilet paper purchasing. Try to save your 'toiletry needs' for places like college, pubs, cafés, restaurants etc If you have a purse or you are a metrosexual avec manbag, you may feel the need to pocket toilet paper. Of course I wouldn't advocate this.

I would also not advocate drinking unattended drinks in nightclubs. (Not a great idea, but I know some who have made good sport doing this). Don't go to pubs obviously before a nightclub, get cans. House parties > going out..and much cheaper.

Avoid takeaways as much as possible. Learn to cook simple things. A past housemate of mine could put a dinner on the table each day for €1.50. Students usually have crap eating habits, so get the odd bit of fruit into the diet too which is dirt cheap anyway.

If possible take a bag of food up from home, can save a lot of money and the parents usually don't look at it as a cash handout.

Don't buy members of the opposite sex drinks. They should love you for who you are.

If you can get away with it, as in the OP, don't buy books if you don't have to. For my undergrad degree I didn't buy a single book. Some books can be very expensive, especially law etc

Don't buy dvds to relieve boredom. I really got into repeats of the OC in college and deadliest catch as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough - messy to make but tasty. really cheap and impresses people! tastes great cold - bring it in your lunchbox - but people will try scab it from you!

veg soup - kilo of frozen veg (carrot, broccoli, cauliflour and peas) from aldi/lidl - about a quid. boil (i use about enough water to cover, but add or drain as required - try not to drain too much cos you're losing vitamins), add two veg stock cubes and blend. about a litre and a half of tasty veg soup for less than a quid fifty.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6303/spiced-chicken-balti more expensive because there's meat in it but still not too bad and tastes amazing.

chili - 500g beef mince - doesn't need to be expensive because it's all about the cooking. two cans chopped tomatoes. tin of kidney beans, tin of carrots and peas. oven to 200C. in an oven dish fry two onions in a small amount of oil, add some garlic. add meat when onions are nice and soft - don;t burn them. with a spatula mash the meat up until it's all broken up. add the two tins of tomatoes and mix well. in the oven for as long as hunger allows you. cook for longer at a lower temperature makes the meat taste way better. stir regularly. towards the end add all the cans, some chilli spices, the sachets you can get in the supermarket are good but chilli powder and whatever you have lying around works too. mix it all in well. back in the oven until it looks ready. eat and enjoy. this works out and about a quid a portion.

everything here is cheap, tasty and reasonable healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

chili - 500g beef mince - doesn't need to be expensive because it's all about the cooking

Nah mince (or any meat) requires decent meat. There's no comparison between mince from a decent butcher to a supermarket. Which leads to my top tip, find a good butcher! Decent meat need not be expensive and you can make things like lasagne which can last for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Nah mince (or any meat) requires decent meat. There's no comparison between mince from a decent butcher to a supermarket. Which leads to my top tip, find a good butcher! Decent meat need not be expensive and you can make things like lasagne which can last for days.

Serious plus one on this, I was living in Phibsborough last year and the butchers were all competing with the two local Tesco's so I used to buy a months worth of meat for 25 euro a pop, cheaper and far better quality than anything from the supermarket, I was a student eating steak! :D

Advertisement