Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epicenter 2009

Options
  • 24-08-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Is anyone attending this? In Trinity College from Wed-Fri this week (http://epicenter.ie/)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I don't know if anyone here is interested in or attended the event but I'm blogging about it: darrenoc.wordpress.com if anyone wants to check it out

epicenter.png?t=1251588258

It's over by the way so I'm this isn't a shill, and I was a volunteer as opposed to paid staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dropped into one of the last talks (on Microsoft SQL Server and virtualisation) but only because I met an old friend completely at random who was giving the talk. Apart from that happening, I wouldn't have even known this was going on - and I work in the building it was being hosted in.

Seriously bad advertising right there.

Not sure if the final talks were anything to judge attendance by, but there were about seven people in the talk I sat in on and about the same in the talk across the hall (I got the wrong room thanks to confusing signposting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Sparks wrote: »
    Dropped into one of the last talks (on Microsoft SQL Server and virtualisation) but only because I met an old friend completely at random who was giving the talk. Apart from that happening, I wouldn't have even known this was going on - and I work in the building it was being hosted in.

Seriously bad advertising right there.

Not sure if the final talks were anything to judge attendance by, but there were about seven people in the talk I sat in on and about the same in the talk across the hall (I got the wrong room thanks to confusing signposting).

I'd pretty much agree with your criticism: I wasn't involved in the pre-planning, so I could only make the best with what we had. The advertising was probably not what it could have been: the fact that you could be in the Hamilton Building and not know about it is ridiculous when you think about it.

Attendance also was not spectacular: we had over 250 people register but many did not show up at all (bizarre!) or came and went. However, with between 5-7 talks scheduled in parallel at any one time, speakers were probably forced to compete too much with other sessions, resulting in generally low attendance for most.

Advertisement