Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REM live at the Olympia

Options
  • 24-08-2009 4:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Pretty cool story. Remember a couple of years back when Phantom FM offered free tickets to listeners who wanted to see REM - yes, the REM - live in the Olympia?

Well a couple of us got them and apparently REM just did the entire gig for free and didn't charge anybody in. That in itself made them fairly cool, particularly having paid a fair bit to see them in Ardgillan Castle a couple of years before. Well, in today's paper the band has just announced that it's next worldwide album release is REM Live at the Olympia.

Fair play to them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0824/breaking37.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tarbuck

Yes, fair play to them for giving away a free album. Oh, wait!

(A lot of bands release live albums from Ireland merely because we are the loudest drunkests concert goers in the western world and we'll cheer any auld shíte).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You're lucky you got the prizes, 2 of my mates won stuff off Phantom and never got them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

tarbuck wrote: »
    Yes, fair play to them for giving away a free album. Oh, wait!

(A lot of bands release live albums from Ireland merely because we are the loudest drunkests concert goers in the western world and we'll cheer any auld shíte).

Jesus, aren't you miserable ... in that endearingly (ahem) Irish way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Quint wrote: »
    You're lucky you got the prizes, 2 of my mates won stuff off Phantom and never got them.

Yeah, a friend actually won them but I went along with him. Automatic for the People all those years ago is still one the best albums I've ever listened to. It still sounds as fresh as it did in the 90s. And they seem like down-to-earth lads and that sort of thing matters in my book.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Pretty cool story. Remember a couple of years back when Phantom FM offered free tickets to listeners who wanted to see REM - yes, the REM - live in the Olympia?

Well a couple of us got them and apparently REM just did the entire gig for free and didn't charge anybody in.
    That in itself made them fairly cool, particularly having paid a fair bit to see them in Ardgillan Castle a couple of years before. Well, in today's paper the band has just announced that it's next worldwide album release is REM Live at the Olympia.

Fair play to them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0824/breaking37.htm

Eh, are you saying the whole olympia gig was free, if so you are completely wrong.

There was always going to be a live CD/DVD of the gigs.

www.remdublin.com has been up for quite a while now and there are previews of a few songs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement