Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Half Marathon 2010

• 24-08-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Ok - I've decided to keep a log to track my progress for my goal which is the Connemara Half Marathon in April.

A bit of background. I have tried running on a number of occasions but that was to get the weight down, which I would do, and then stop running again.

This time I am determined and would really like to do the DCM next year. I have done only one race and that was the Plassey 10k(9.4k) in 2008 with a time of 51 minutes.

I have signed up for the Kilkenny 10k on September 20th and after that I will be using HH training guide for the Half Marathon.

My log so far.

Tue 11th August - 4.8km 30 mins
    Wed 12th August - 5.4km 30 mins
    Sat 15th August - 5.6km 30 mins
    Mon 17th August - 6.4km 34 mins 29 secs
    Tue 18th August - 5.0km 30 mins
    Wed 19th August -10.0km 59 mins
    Thu 20th August - 5.8km 35 mins
    Fri 21st August - 4.8km 26 mins 52 secs
    Mon 24th August - 8.2km 50 mins

Is there anything I should be doing in the gym, like weights or core, one or two days a week on top of the running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

good luck with the log,.a bit of gym work wont do u any harm....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

IMO all over body conditioning and a strong core will benefit your running. Are you still trying to lose weight? A good weights and core programme will be a big help to weight loss as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Yeah, still trying to lose a bit of weight. 13 stone and 5ft9". Trying to lose the belly, the man boobs and pudgy face.

The local gym are starting Body Conditioning Training class so might go to the first class and see what it's like.

Am I running too many days in a week? Should I be running 4 days and going to the gym 2 other days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yeah, still trying to lose a bit of weight. 13 stone and 5ft9". Trying to lose the belly, the man boobs and pudgy face.

The local gym are starting Body Conditioning Training class so might go to the first class and see what it's like.

Am I running too many days in a week? Should I be running 4 days and going to the gym 2 other days?

Are you from Limerick? Do you use the UL facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck with the training. Conn 1/2 is a good one to start with. You'll have a brilliant weekend. I've done it the past two years and will probably do it again in 2010.

If you haven't already done so I'd recommend getting gait analysis done and fitted for a pair of runners. Amphibian King in Bray is good if you live in Dublin. It'll be worth it in the long run (no pun intended!).

Oh and try to incorporate some hills into your 1/2 marathon training. It'll help you in the race.

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »
    Are you from Limerick? Do you use the UL facilities?

Hi ULstudent,

Yes from Limerick, living in Castleconnel and using the Castle Oaks gym.

However, going back to UL next week as a Mature Student so might join there when membership is up in Castle Oaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Goos luck. The connemara half is my target too:). After a race a couple of months back where the hills nearly wiped me out so like Rigal suggests I've added more hills to my training so I should be well ready for the HOTW by April.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

At this stage, I'd just go with how I feel, keeping running as your priority of course. You won't be starting your HH plan till sometime in January, is it a 12 week plan? The only good thing, for me, about gym cardio machines is the variety of great interval work you can do. Pyramids on the treadmill are really tough but a fantastic work out, likewise pyramids on the cross trainer and intervals on the rower. When you go to one of the body conditioning classes post up the type of stuff they do and we can comment on it. :)

Hi ULstudent,

Yes from Limerick, living in Castleconnel and using the Castle Oaks gym.

However, going back to UL next week as a Mature Student so might join there when membership is up in Castle Oaks.

Cool cool. Well it is 100e for 4 months there so ya can't go wrong. There is also a plethora of fitness classes there that are ideal for you on days where you cross train.

I, personally would not advise body conditionning classes for stength. You would be better off, imo, with lunges, squats etc

Tuesday 25th August - did 5 miles today in just under 45 minutes which works out at 9.00min/mile. Very happy with this although the inside of my thigh is sore.

Must purchase some lycra shorts. Anyone know of anywhere to buy these in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Must purchase some lycra shorts. quote]
    welcome to the darkside....

Wed 26/08 - 6.3 miles in 56 mins. Started off with 9.13 min/mile and increased slowly to finish with 8.40 a mile.

Lycra shorts work a dream.

Planning to go to gym tomorrow to do weights and core.

Thurs 27/08 Went to gym to do Strength training

Fri 28/08 4 miles in 36 mins but felt tired after first 2 miles probably due to gym work yesterday.

Taking a rest tomorrow.

Heya you should consider coming to the outdoor track on a Tuesday evening at 6.45 for a track session. It's open to anyone who's interested and their are loads of people off all abilities and ages there. Just ask for a guy called Joe chawke and introduce yourself to him. He will set you right.

The track sessions are great for speed and will really help you along

Thanks ULStudent - might head down there tomorrow and have a look.

Pretty bad weekend training wise, Fri night and sat night were spent in the pub.

Today,however was a positive. Went out for a 5 mile run and ended up going for 7 miles in 1hr 6mins. My longest run so far and I could have kept going.

Hoping to do approx 30 miles this week.

This running is getting pretty expensive, have to go and purchase nip guards now :eek:

01/09/09 - 5 miles in 39mins 59secs

Mile 1: 8:06
    Mile 2: 8:00
    Mile 3: 7:59
    Mile 4: 8:00
    Mile 5: 7:54

Sprinted the last 200 metres or so when noticed I could go Sub 40, was absolutely delighted, first time punched the air when running.

Have signed up for the Laois 10k this Sunday (06/09). No time like the present.

What do people recommed to do for the rest of the week before 10k?

I was thinking of resting Friday & Sat???

02/09/09

4 miles on the threadmill @ 9:45 mins a mile. Found that legs were a tad sore from yesterdays "fast run".

Thurs 03/09/09 - Rest
    Friday 04/09/09 - 4.5km in 22min 33sec

Sat 05/09/09 - Rest
    Sun 06/09/09 - Laois 10k

Pretty good race but rained from start to finish. Start off was a bit of a joke,we had to walk about 2k from the GAA club house to get to the start line and when I got there (and there were alot of people behind me) the race had already started.

Time of approx 55minutes, happy to get through it without stopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Well done on the race :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Blueskye

25 miles in total this week. Upping the miles week by week so happy the way things are going at the moment.

Regarding speed of runs,what are people's opinion on faster times? Is it interval training?

Mon 07/09 - 4.1miles easy run at 9min45 a mile - recovery from 10k
    Tues 08/09 - Rest
    Wed 09/09 - 8.3 miles in 79 mins. My longest run so far.

Fri 11th -10km 56mins
    Mon 14th - 10km 54min16secs
    Tues 15th - 10km 54min44secs
    Wed 16th - 5km 25mins
    Thurs 17th - 7.2km 39mins
    Sun 20th - 10km 54mins 33secs

I haven't updated the log in a while but still running. Did the Kilkenny 10k yesterday and my official first 10k time. We had a great day for it and it was very well organised.

I have signed up for the Tralee 10k on October 18th and going to go for the Waterford half marathon on 12th December, is it too soon?

It's about 12 weeks away, is there any good training plans out there considering the miles i've put in so far.

Training started today for the half marathon. Just recovered from the 10k on Sunday.

I've decided to used Hal Higdon's Novice program for it. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm What are people's thoughts on it. The long runs are only 1x7,1x8,1x9 and 1x10. Is this enough?

Week 1 Day 1 - 3.1 miles

Advertisement