Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important - UCD Health Services Charges 09/10

Options
  • 24-08-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Folks, the shit has finally hit the fan, this is the email one of my friends in UCD just received today:

From: Vice-President for Students [mailto:vpstudents@ucd.ie]
    Sent: 24 August 2009 15:46
    To: All UCD Students
    Subject: UCD Student Health Service Charges 2009/2010
    UCD Student Health Service Charges 2009/2010

vpstudents@ucd.ie

24 Aug. 09
    Dear UCD Student,
    Prior to your return to campus we would like to bring to your attention a change in the UCD Student Health Service.

UCD is committed to providing UCD students with access to a comprehensive Student Health Service which complements their existing medical services (family GP etc). In the current economic climate UCD must change the way it funds this service. It is no longer possible to maintain a free service for all students. From September 7th 2009 students will be charged for services offered by the UCD Student Health Service. These charges will enable UCD maintain the current level of medical services and also provide a platform for additional services. The services operated by UCD Student Counselling will remain free of charge.

UCD and the UCD Students’ Union are working together to ensure that these charges are introduced in a fair and considered fashion.

Medical Card

In parallel with this decision, UCD will conduct an information campaign to ensure that all students are made aware of how to establish their entitlements under the State’s Medical Card scheme. UCD Student Health Service will facilitate the use of a Medical Card/GP Visit Card to cover applicable services where one is presented at time of appointment. Please refer to the UCD Student Handbook for further details or contact the UCD Students’ Union or visit www.hse.ie.

Student Welfare Fund

In addition, UCD will work with the various support structures within the university to ensure that no student will be deprived of health services due to financial difficulties.

The Student Welfare Fund is one such source of funding that can be accessed in case of financial difficulty. This can be instigated after a medical appointment. For further information on how to apply go to www.ucd.ie/student_welfare.htm#SWF or contact the UCD Students’ Union Welfare Officer, Scott Ahern (welfare@ucdsu.ie).

Charges

The following schedule of charges will apply from September 7th 2009.

Nurse visit: 10 euro*

Doctors visit: 25 euro

Psychiatrist Consultation: 40 euro

* If a student is referred by the nurse to a UCD doctor under the triage system, the 10 euro nurse charge will not apply.

Existing charges for special services such as travel vaccines will continue.

Services operated by UCD Student Counselling will remain free of charge.

Medical Bills

Payment for using the Student Health Service will not be made at time of appointment; instead the appropriate charge will be made to the student’s confidential health service account. No medical details are recorded on this. Where a student presents a valid Medical Card/GP Visit Card at the point of consultation, the charge will be zero.

Students will be expected to clear outstanding student health service account charges within 10 days of using the UCD Health Service. Payment can be made by the student using a credit/debit card facility on the web. Receipts can be print as required.

In cases of financial difficulty an application to the Student Welfare Fund or other funding sources may be made after using the UCD Health Service. All students presenting at the UCD Student Health Service are treated independently of their health service account status.

Regards,

Martin Butler, Vice-President for Students

Garry Redmond, SU President 2009/2010

I wonder if UCDSU will have a sit-in over this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Surely €25 for a doctors visit isn't a lot to pay? A regular non-college doctor will cost ~€60...

I never understood why the health service in UCD was free....

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Surely €25 for a doctors visit isn't a lot to pay? A regular non-college doctor will cost ~€60...

I never understood why the health service in UCD was free....

Dave

+1, while it'd be lovely to have a free service, a greatly reduced price one is still pretty damn good.

Feel free to go off campus for your health needs. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Fad wrote: »
    +1, while it'd be lovely to have a free service, a greatly reduced price one is still pretty damn good.

Feel free to go off campus for your health needs. :).

You're better off seeing your own gp, it takes a good week to see the one in UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Well for f**k sake! Absolute joke. I blame the bankers! I better not run into one anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

El Siglo wrote: »
    You're better off seeing your own gp, it takes a good week to see the one in UCD!

I dont have one.........

I've been to see a doctor once in the past 8 or so years, and that was to get a pile of vaccines, whether I've needed to see a doctor or not is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I can't say I'm suprised that there is a fee coming in as the funding was slashed as the library has been designated to fall under "student services" so it can take money out of the reg fee to cover the funding cuts, but €25 is a fair whack + I'm appauled that its €40 for a psych consult. That could at least have been €25 too. After all the mental health issues affecting ucd students in recent years surely it's worth subsidising that particular service to a greater degree.

I'm off to get my angry lefty on...

EDIT: Even more annoying is they could've had students with medical cards presenting them for the last few years as a way of funding it, only now with charges coming in have they bothered to sort that out.

dajaffa wrote: »
    I can't say I'm suprised that there is a fee coming in as the funding was slashed as the library has been designated to fall under "student services" so it can take money out of the reg fee to cover the funding cuts,

I hear they are putting meters beside sockets in the library aswell rip every cent out of us:cool::mad:
    God knows the day may come even though i joke!

I've always personally been against the charging for college health services... twice, assuming the Student Health Centre in UCD receives money as the TCD one does through the Registration Fee. And I think that €25 is a lot of money even if it is cheaper than heading to a local doctor.

/wanders back to the shadows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

This is an appalling move, though not surprising given Dr Butler had previously wanted to charge our international students through the roof for using the health centre in UCD because they had to have health insurance when in Ireland.

The attitude held by Dr Butler with regard to the health centre in UCD is purely business, he believes we should have the DCU model whereby it will be a money making enterprise.

25e is a huge amount of money when you're in college. I was lucky that I come from a middle class background so I could have afforded that fee, but for some, particularly those borderline for grants this is nothing short of an abuse. It's going to lead to in more and more students not seeking medical treatment when they need it.

I also think it's awful that you had to pay the higher fee if the nurse refers you onto the Dr. They should try and at least act like they care about students and should attempt to have a 'lowest fee applicable' type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i'm not happy about the charges. Every cent counts when you are a student. It's all very sudden. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Very sudden agreed, possible some sort of system for boarders in particular where they get a certain level of free care would be ideal.

I'm a first year but from what I hear the facilities were often abused in the case of hangover and to get the old birth control note, maybe this will stop that a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I still think €25 is decent value for a visit.

However what annoyed me is that is spoke to the president elect last year and I remember the student health centre funds being described as 'ringfenced' to prevent any increase.

Butler played it very well getting Redmonds name on the email aswell. No idea why Redmond agreed to that. The SU cant complain about fees when they are supporting what are in effect 'health fees' now being implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I still think €25 is decent value for a visit.

However what annoyed me is that is spoke to the president elect last year and I remember the student health centre funds being described as 'ringfenced' to prevent any increase.

Butler played it very well getting Redmonds name on the email aswell. No idea why Redmond agreed to that. The SU cant complain about fees when they are supporting what are in effect 'health fees' now being implemented

Every member of the SU is in favour of fees. 3 Fianna Failers and 2 Fine Galers. This move does not surprise me, Hugh Brady and his cronie Richard Butler dont give a crap about students, they only care about their bank balance.

Its going to be particularly rough now as the government are going to radically change the medical card criteria as with the amount of people unemployed the costs will skyrocket under the current criteria.

If the government actually gave the reg fee increase this year to the colleges we probably wouldn't be facing this, but naturally thats ending up covering the debts of irresponsible banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Now I'm not just gonna bulldoze in and start complaining about being charged for a health service in the college, cause at the moment it can't be maintained and I know one girl with a medical card and she goes in for every little thing under the son so charging is gonna get rid of these time wasters, however i think charges are too much all together.

Going from zero to 25 is too much, i'd say bring it down to 10 euro each instead of fleecing us all together

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

People complain about losing free stuff! News at 11.

I see a lot of weird comments about Brady only being interested in money, etc. We all know that UCD funding from the govt is being slashed. They either have to cut costs or raise revenue somehow. Or not pay the staff working in the health centre. Or cut somewhere else. Presumably he decided this was the least bad option.

I'm not defending the cuts. Maybe they're the right move. Maybe they are the wrong move. What I'm really disappointed with is the shallow and selfish nature of the criticisms.

I would love if comments said things like 'Brady should have cut funding to X area before cutting health'. For example, he could
    - cut sports funding
    - cut society funding
    - fire some staff, maybe have less porters or cleaners.

Of course, then you have to justify why having, say, a dirtier campus (or no L&H or rugby team or whatever) is less bad than having to pay €25 for the doctor.

For the record, I've never used the health service, and I bet that the majority of students will have at most 1 and probably zero visits during their time at UCD.

We're in college to learn, and part of that is learning critical thinking skills and being able to objectively evaluate things. Instead I see moans about not getting enough cheap/free stuff and how Hugh Brady must be stuffing all the cash he is saving into his Swiss bank account.

Society funding is ridiculous that must have been cut somewhat. Cut the UCD soccer team! God knows how much that costs!!

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Society funding is ridiculous that must have been cut somewhat. Cut the UCD soccer team! God knows how much that costs!!

It costs little or nothing. They pay the players little, they mainly offer them scholarships to study in the College. The FAI gives out prize money to UCD each year and sponsorship revenue comes in too. UCD AFC is also affiliated to Pegasus AFC, a team for UCD graduates who want to continue play football.

Zuffer wrote: »

We're in college to learn, and part of that is learning critical thinking skills and being able to objectively evaluate things. Instead I see moans about not getting enough cheap/free stuff and how Hugh Brady must be stuffing all the cash he is saving into his Swiss bank account.

I agree that we are here to learn. But UCD is a community as well. People get sick, it is unfair to charge them to visit a doctor. Also you obviously dont know Hugh Brady that well. His offshore bank account is in the Cayman Islands not Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

I agree that we are here to learn. But UCD is a community as well.
    True
    People get sick
    True
    it is unfair to charge them to visit a doctor
    Maybe.

If you honestly think that from the limited resources that the college has, some of it should be devoted to keeping the clinic free, I respect that.
    Provided that you acknowledge that something else somewhere in the budget would have to give. I'm not saying that you need to identify or quantify it, here and now. But you have to acknowledge that UCD doesn't just wave a magic wand to make things appear and disappear, and that choosing the free health service implicitly means choosing it over something else.

But if you think that students should get free stuff, without giving any thought to who provides it or has to make sacrifices to give it to you, well - I feel that is not a virtuous position to hold.
    Also you obviously dont know Hugh Brady that well. His offshore bank account is in the Cayman Islands not Switzerland.

My mistake. Should have done the research. :)

• Advertisement

If you honestly think that from the limited resources that the college has, some of it should be devoted to keeping the clinic free, I respect that.
    Provided that you acknowledge that something else somewhere in the budget would have to give. I'm not saying that you need to identify or quantify it, here and now. But you have to acknowledge that UCD doesn't just wave a magic wand to make things appear and disappear, and that choosing the free health service implicitly means choosing it over something else.

But if you think that students should get free stuff, without giving any thought to who provides it or has to make sacrifices to give it to you, well - I feel that is not a virtuous position to hold.

I think the paypackets of staff earning over 100 k should be hit before frontline student services. If Hugh Brady was to take a 50% paycut the health centre could operate for free.

I would love if comments said things like 'Brady should have cut funding to X area before cutting health'.

Ok here's 3, the health centre should have retained funding ahead of:

- Every windows PC in health science being replaced with new macines this summer. Few were not in working order and for the rest a format and reinstall would have had them going like new.

- The VP for research getting over €400k las year. The notion that top university staff should get paid the equivalent of what they get in the private sector is nonsense, they get benefits like pensions, leave + job security etc. Half that is still an extremely generous salary.

- Group mail together. I was rather irked when last week my lil bro got a number of letters due to his acceptance of a place. Surely they could manage sending UCD and school orientation stuff together if we're that strapped for cash?

I'm not anti cutback as I'm smart enough to know some have to happen, but the level of health centre cutbacks is ridiculous when you see some of the spending that goes on in ucd.

It costs little or nothing. They pay the players little, they mainly offer them scholarships to study in the College. The FAI gives out prize money to UCD each year and sponsorship revenue comes in too. UCD AFC is also affiliated to Pegasus AFC, a team for UCD graduates who want to continue play football.

Most of the UCD soccer first team are not in college in UCD. The players are paid more than teams like Longford and that is first hand information. There is no way a soccer team can cost little or nothing. UCD students even get in free to matchs in Belfield so explain to me where day to day revenue comes from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mick27

First off,

these new charges were decided upon in May under the last UCDSU.

Funding had to be cut!!! in the student survey done by the SU the library was the most highly rated service so obviously this had to be maintained!!! (according to the students)

The Counselling Service is ringfenced!
    I know the psychiastrist fee is steep but if a student can't pay it they can go to the welfare fund!

I know the charges aren't nice but €25 isn't that much of a fee, what would a student spend on a night out????

I think the SU got the best deal possible in the tight limits that they had to work in. You can scream and shout all you want and you could have done so too in May but it wouldn't have achieved anything!

The Contraception Clinic is back and in the email butler said they may add services!

To the person who said it takes a week to see the doctor if you're very ill you go in and see the nurse and she usually sends you in to see the doctor straigt away if it's a prescription you need you'll have to wait and book and appointment as these are services you avail of form your own GP.

Mick27 wrote: »
    To the person who said it takes a week to see the doctor if you're very ill you go in and see the nurse and she usually sends you in to see the doctor straigt away if it's a prescription you need you'll have to wait and book and appointment as these are services you avail of form your own GP.

No you can be given a prescription immediately as I have been before after being sent in by the nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

After reading through all of the living expenses threads I have come to the conclusion that if the average (or so it seems) student is willing to spend 60 quid a week on alcohol, then complaining about spending 25 quid on the occasional doctors visit makes you look idiotic.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

i dont really have a problem with this,,the most i would spend would be between 50 and 100 euro in the year
    im surprised people are giving out about this so much considering the increasse of reg fees(think went from 900 to 1500)and the 'possible' introduction of fees. the medical fees are minimal in comparision

if you all want something to give out about,let it be the 'possible' fees,if we do things right we could save ourselves thosands,never mind a measly hundred or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Are the Union taking a stand on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

After reading through all of the living expenses threads I have come to the conclusion that if the average (or so it seems) student is willing to spend 60 quid a week on alcohol, then complaining about spending 25 quid on the occasional doctors visit makes you look idiotic.

:)

You don't understand. You need to take the amount you spend on the doctor as a percentage increase on the amount you spend on alcohol. If 50 bills on alcohol ends in the doctors, its like spending 75 euro on alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Grimes wrote: »
    Are the Union taking a stand on this?

Doubtful seeing as Garys name was on the email.

Advertisement