Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important - UCD Health Services Charges 09/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Exactly. The H1N1 virus was probably developed in Conway Institute under Butlers instructions! I wonder if he made any visits to Mexico last year? Ok maybe that's taking it too far, lol.

Also somebody mentioned that a visit to their normal GP costs 60 euro and so compared to that 25 isn't that much. In Dublin, having lived here my entire life, a visit to the doc sets you back 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

GPs generally charge whatever they see fit. I doubt there is a set charge everywhere. Less well off families dont pay the same as well to do in small towns .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This is the first time this has been noted here!

What a money spinner for UCD if there is an outbreak! Butlers a genius!:pac:

I somehow think that UCD are reducing a net loss rather than turning a profit by introducing fees.

Sean_K wrote: »
    I somehow think that UCD are reducing a net loss rather than turning a profit by introducing fees.

I joke.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Interesting to see some UCD execs have joined the facebook "No to Healthcare fees" group. Seems there is not solidarity in the Union over this

• Advertisement

Who are the execs?

Facebook Group

Execs are the sub-sabats. They dont do much and have no real power.But they are union people and obviously refusing to follow the party line

Grimes wrote: »
    Facebook Group

Execs are the sub-sabats. They dont do much and have no real power.But they are union people and obviously refusing to follow the party line

Yes but who are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Surely €25 for a doctors visit isn't a lot to pay? A regular non-college doctor will cost ~€60...

I never understood why the health service in UCD was free....

Dave
    Because when you're a poor student you tend to try and save as much money as possible, often for skewed prioirities and through stupid cuts.
    Its the same basic logic as the medical card, provide free health care to those who cant afford to pay for it.

When I was in college I was very very sick one day. I was actually in so much pain I couldnt get out of bed. At the same time though, I refused to go to the doctor until I heard it was free. When I found out it was free I had my roommate drive me down (yes, thats how bad I was) and the doctor told me I had an inflamed gall bladder.

Now obviously I can look back now and say it was retarded not to go to the doctor straight away, and that health isnt something you should skimp on. But someone living off €50 a week wont be that willing to shill out €60 on a doctors visit.

I think though that the health service should be free to stop people making frivilous visits and clogging up the service, but Id have introduced 5eur for the nurse and 10eur for the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Exactly. The H1N1 virus was probably developed in Conway Institute under Butlers instructions! I wonder if he made any visits to Mexico last year? Ok maybe that's taking it too far, lol.

Also somebody mentioned that a visit to their normal GP costs 60 euro and so compared to that 25 isn't that much. In Dublin, having lived here my entire life, a visit to the doc sets you back 40 euro.
    I was one of the people to mention 60 euro but I was speaking from personal experience, not saying that every Doc charges the same. Mine is in Wicklow so maybe they charge more because they get less patients. Anyway, my point is still the same, 25 euro is cheaper than anywhere else. It's not ideal but as somebody else said above, cuts had to be made somewhere. I'm just glad it wasn't in something like the library that would be of importance to more students than the health centre.

But since I last said that, another thread reminded me that the SU themselves swallow a huge chunk of money every year. I'd much rather see the Ents budget or something similar used for the health centre, even if it meant a charge that was something like 10 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I still think €25 is decent value for a visit.

However what annoyed me is that is spoke to the president elect last year and I remember the student health centre funds being described as 'ringfenced' to prevent any increase.

Butler played it very well getting Redmonds name on the email aswell. No idea why Redmond agreed to that. The SU cant complain about fees when they are supporting what are in effect 'health fees' now being implemented

I don't. I went to the UCD doctor once during my time and got the absolute worst advice ever. Since then I went and got my own doctor in Dublin. You'd be better off paying €60 and getting good advice, then €25 and getting bad.

I'm sure the SU will argue the usual stuff of those who can afford it will decide to go off campus and give a better service to those who can't.

Oh that Richard Butler. What a roide.

Another argument I just remembered. Those with a medical card can only register (so I'm told) in one place to get free health care. Thus they have to choose to either register in UCD or where ever they call home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

25 euro is a fair bit of money to a student, a weekly ticket for dublin bus is less.

Also there is the matter of swine flu to consider. People are already anticipating a rough year because of it. UCD seems to be introducing the charge when students are most vulnerable and most likely to want to see a doc.

On this point I think it could be pretty bad. People who have Swine flu like symptoms will just put it down to a cold and not bother getting it checked. While in most cases this is good and will lead to people not freaking out over every little cough, there will also be a couple with real symptoms who will cause it to spread.

gubbie wrote: »
    On this point I think it could be pretty bad. People who have Swine flu like symptoms will just put it down to a cold and not bother getting it checked. While in most cases this is good and will lead to people not freaking out over every little cough, there will also be a couple with real symptoms who will cause it to spread.

It will be quite ironic if Swine Flu did spread like this and after the college has their big plan of action in it will be their fault it spreads!:cool::mad:

Saw this earlier on, thought it'd be posted:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0827/1224253335306_pf.html
    UCD students must pay for medical care sought on campus

GENEVIEVE CARBERY

Thu, Aug 27, 2009

FEES FOR GP and nurse services are being introduced for students at University College Dublin (UCD).

The UCD student health service was previously free for students but from September 7th charges will include €25 to see a doctor, €10 to see a nurse and €40 for a psychiatric consultation. However, the student counselling service will remain free and both UCD and the students’ union emphasised this was important.

In an e-mail to all students, UCD said it was no longer possible to maintain the way it funded the service in the current economic climate. The service has some 18,000 consultations per academic year.

The move was supported by UCD Students’ Union, which was consulted by college authorities. “UCD has to balance its books and cutbacks have to be made across the board,” said president of UCD students’ union Gary Redmond.

A survey of students last year revealed the priority issues were library opening hours and teaching standards and these will be protected, Mr Redmond said. The union wanted to ensure vulnerable students would be protected. “My main role is to get the message across that if you can’t pay you will still be seen on a means-blind basis. If you need medical attention, go to see a doctor, nurse or psychiatrist,” he said.

Students will not pay on the spot but their student accounts will be charged and they will have to pay within 10 days. If they cannot pay the fees, there is money available through the student welfare fund, he said.

When asked if the fees would apply in campus H1N1 outbreak Mr Redmond said this would be a separate system. The Union of Students of Ireland said similar fees had not been introduced at other third-level institutions. It would not comment on an internal UCD matter.

© 2009 The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Should be free for medical card holders, it's cheap for those without.

Any free unregulated resource will be abused, fact of life.

The move was supported by UCD Students’ Union, which was consulted by college authorities. “UCD has to balance its books and cutbacks have to be made across the board,” said president of UCD students’ union Gary Redmond.

A survey of students last year revealed the priority issues were library opening hours and teaching standards and these will be protected, Mr Redmond said. The union wanted to ensure vulnerable students would be protected. .

The union are a complete joke. Doing Butler's work for him. Seriously the students union is a disaster.

In other news neither me nor any of my friends were "surveyed" as to our priorities.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Should be free for medical card holders, it's cheap for those without.

Great generalisation right there! A few people on medical cards shouldnt be on them. And then those just above the bracket are screwed. 25euro a week for a student is alot.

There's me stupidly thinking access to healthcare was a right and not a privilege! lol

Its important to note also that it is 25 euro before you even go the pharmacy to purchase medication.

Concerning the SU I am still shocked that the move wasn't mentioned during last years pathetic election campaigns.

Concerning the SU I am still shocked that the move wasn't mentioned during last years pathetic election campaigns.

Thats because it wasnt a big deal then. Butler and Gary are bringing it in over the Summer when the students are no there and council hasnt been elected yet. Imagine how FF run Ireland, now shrink that to UCD and you have the SU model for "leadership"

Ah it all makes sense now Grimes. Bit like the Aventine Secession but we didn't really pull out just walked away unknowingly leaving the door open for this kind of thing, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Great generalisation right there! A few people on medical cards shouldnt be on them. And then those just above the bracket are screwed. 25euro a week for a student is alot.

That's a completely separate issue on the medical cards and a 'great generalisation' on student incomes - not everyone fits the starving student stereotype. Means testing generally screws marginal cases, but it's got to be better than a free for all.

It's all relative. How much is a night out? More than €25 usually, yet most can manage a night on the town at least occasionally. Prioritise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

The Unions position will inevitably be overturned by council.

Rents are falling by 20% across Dublin yet are increasing on res, they've introduced a health charge, the grant has bee frozen for the last 2 years, there's a lack of opportunities for part-time work, and it's harder to get a loan/overdraft.

Unfortunately Redmond and Ryan would be in charge of running any campaign to overturn the charge, or on anything else. I'd doubt that they'd put in any real effort into any campaign to change anything in UCD.

Another problem that Redmond & Co will be on Governing Authority and the Finance committee - who knows what they're saying at those meetings?

Sutdents are ****ed.

(aint anyone if FEE who would have supported health charges, bloody students deserve everything they get :rolleyes:)

That's a completely separate issue on the medical cards and a 'great generalisation' on student incomes - not everyone fits the starving student stereotype. Means testing generally screws marginal cases, but it's got to be better than a free for all.

It's all relative. How much is a night out? More than €25 usually, yet most can manage a night on the town at least occasionally. Prioritise!

Its true that there are numerous students who go out and blow alot of money on drink and taxis etc but there are also a minority who focus on their studies and these studious people are being treated the same as those who do eff all.

As for the 'starving student stereotype', they are also a minority. There are students out there who payed thousands for their second-level education and are well capable of paying full-fees and spend the bulk of their money on nights out. They don't really need the protection of the SU, its the sterotypes who need to know they can depend on their college for health issues.

mad lad wrote: »

aint anyone if FEE who would have supported health charges, bloody students deserve everything they get :rolleyes:)

No but unfortunately FEE were just another extreme of the same mentality. The grasped for "power" based of porjected support for their anti-fee campaign and when they lost the all but dissapeared from the radar.

Students dont need FEE or the Union but impartial representation by people who want to make a difference, not advance their politcal carreers.

I really think Ryan might come through on this however. Id be unpleasantly suprised if he does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A survey of students last year revealed the priority issues were library opening hours and teaching standards and these will be protected, Mr Redmond said. The union wanted to ensure vulnerable students would be protected. .

The union are a complete joke. Doing Butler's work for him. Seriously the students union is a disaster.

In other news neither me nor any of my friends were "surveyed" as to our priorities.

I remember getting a survey in my UCD connect e-mail around March or April. Basically asked us what we thought on everything

I remember getting a survey in my UCD connect e-mail around March or April. Basically asked us what we thought on everything

Really they should have sent around an email reading BEWARE: PLANNED INTRODUCTION OF HEALTH CHARGES and then asked our position on the issue whilst also offering alternative cuts. What's that word for it again...oh yes; democracy.

I think its time the Union publish their entire list of cost cuts and proposed cost cuts rather than keeping them all within a few meeting rooms in the student center and not bothering to inform anyone until its too late.

Where did I make a generalisation? I didnt say everyone is just above the bracket. Some are, most are not. Not everyone receives support from their parents. Most are working part time to keep them in college. One of my colleagues gave up college simply because he couldnt afford it and stuck with full time work instead. Yes there are those who will go out and spend that on a night out easily I agree. The larger issue here though is the Student Unions total acceptance without any real corroboration with the student body.*
    This survey which was carried out I am totally unaware of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

No but unfortunately FEE were just another extreme of the same mentality. The grasped for "power" based of porjected support for their anti-fee campaign and when they lost the all but dissapeared from the radar.

Students dont need FEE or the Union but impartial representation by people who want to make a difference, not advance their politcal carreers.

I really think Ryan might come through on this however. Id be unpleasantly suprised if he does not.

They offered a clear alternative, there was little support for it. People deserve the union they have.

The idea the FEE want to advance their political careers is nonsense. If someone wanted a career in politics they'd join Fine Gael rather than any left wing organisation.

• Advertisement

mad lad wrote: »
    They offered a clear alternative, there was little support for it. People deserve the union they have.

The idea the FEE want to advance their political careers is nonsense. If someone wanted a career in politics they'd join Fine Gael rather than any left wing organisation.

I dont remember any alternative by FEE on any issue other that they will "oppose fees" but thats neither here nor there right now. It also dosnt explain FEE's departure from the limelight after their defeat in the SU elections and their silence over the summer when the fee debate is raging more than ever.

People also dont trust the left, while I am (now) anti-fee, anti-student center and anti-health center fees or for short anti-increases for students across the board, I am far from a leftie and I would not support the left in this case.

Advertisement