Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important - UCD Health Services Charges 09/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

I don't know why this has to be a political issues. Regardless of left or right alot of people would rather pay no fees than have a nice flashy student centre or have Ents nights out almost every night of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Did you see the latest email?!
    The long-term goal for the Student Health Service is to expand its remit when it occupies a new space in the Student Centre extension, with the possibility of the introduction of new services such as dentistry and acupuncture. This will be greatly aided by the revenue generated by these new charges.
    since when do we need acupuncture?!?! And dentistry? tbh, i don't think these are at all as important as the existing health services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

It also dosnt explain FEE's departure from the limelight after their defeat in the SU elections and their silence over the summer when the fee debate is raging more than ever.

The elections were in March. Like most students, they come under pressure with assignments and exams at that time of year. Ever think that this may have contributed to a drop in activity?

As students, many of whom return to other parts of the country over the summer, did you ever think that they might simply not be in dublin, or that those who are, could be trying to find a job so that they could work to save money in order to return to college in September? :rolleyes:
    I don't know why this has to be a political issues.
    As an organisation designed to protect it's members, everything the union does is a political issue - what issues it takes up, the form it's campaigns take. Unions have operated as apolitical service providers working in partnership with the colleges authorites for years - this is were it gets us.

Indignant press releases and endless marches don't do much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Accupuncture?HAHAH for ****s sake. However im sure some poor acupuncturist will have to rent the space in the center. Ker-Ching!

Grimes wrote: »
    Accupuncture?HAHAH for ****s sake. However im sure some poor acupuncturist will have to rent the space in the center. Ker-Ching!

We'll probably end up with an entire new Health Centre with acupunturists and reiki healers etc

• Advertisement

Dont forget the relaxation center

Brady will probably put a McDonalds on campus right beside the Health Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Dont forget the relaxation center
    I thought we already had one of those

2520027367_8ece2c7763.jpg?v=0

Seriously though, UCD needs to get its priorities straight. We don't need acupuncturists or dentists, what we really need is more Zen gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

since when do we need acupuncture?!?! And dentistry? tbh, i don't think these are at all as important as the existing health services.

it is yet to be proven to work, i seriously don't know what the college is playing at if they let these wizards in. They'll be offering medical degrees in homeopathy next.

The way some people are going on here you'd swear that they had to go to the doctor two or three times a week. If you had been there towards the end of last year, you would have seen first hand how under-funded the place is. I was in last year when I went deaf in one ear, and got talking to the nurse, and she said (into my good ear :P) that they could only afford to have one nurse on at a time, they had to make all sorts of outrageous cut-backs as a result of the emergency budget last year, and you had to wait over a week to see a doctor, since they couldn't afford to have any others on. It is a great service down there, so I have no problem forking out €10 (maybe €25 if I get referred to the doctor) for the service.

vice president for research, Professor Des Fitzgerald is on over 400 grand a year alone ffs. Brady was recenlty found to be awarding himself illegal payments, they poured millions into branding and consultants. The college is a joke.

• Advertisement

Do you think Gary or Martin wrote that?

Probably both. They remind me of these two guys

http://www.fresno.k12.ca.us/divdept/sscience/history/totalitarianism.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

redmond-jpg--Adolf-Hitler--redmond-jpg.jpeg

I consider myself something of a Goebbels :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

No but unfortunately FEE were just another extreme of the same mentality. The grasped for "power" based of porjected support for their anti-fee campaign and when they lost the all but dissapeared from the radar.

Students dont need FEE or the Union but impartial representation by people who want to make a difference, not advance their politcal carreers.

I really think Ryan might come through on this however. Id be unpleasantly suprised if he does not.

He is quite full of love
    I disagree with your comment on FEE and I think that they will be the first bunch of people out protesting this issue.

Now feels like the perfect time to throw up the age old argument... Class rep training! You see, there's loads that can be cut
    The long-term goal for the Student Health Service is to expand its remit when it occupies a new space in the Student Centre extension, with the possibility of the introduction of new services such as dentistry and acupuncture. This will be greatly aided by the revenue generated by these new charges.

I thought this funny when I read it. After all every student is paying for the SC extension so it just seems like another way they can get revenue from the students

Oh the cost of class rep training and USI junkets makes me sick. Especially when the lefties attend and then come back protesting about cuts

Oh the cost of class rep training and USI junkets makes me sick. Especially when the lefties attend and then come back protesting about cuts

How much exactly is class rep training? also how many class reps are there?

Ill have to check its been a while.

According to Gary its a toss up between paying for healthcare or massive cut backs in the library opening times. The reson for all these decisions is because the students voted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Ill have to check its been a while.

According to Gary its a toss up between paying for healthcare or massive cut backs in the library opening times.

False dicothomy so it is. I wonder would it be so bold to suggest to the SU Officers etc... that they take a 50% paycut in order to maintain the Health Services or Library?

El Siglo wrote: »
    False dicothomy so it is. I wonder would it be so bold to suggest to the SU Officers etc... that they take a 50% paycut in order to maintain the Health Services or Library?

But then how would they go to every Ents night out??

They will not cut the library because the postgrads both MA, PHD and Research Staff, who are students of the college will raise hell with the VP for Research not Marty B or The Useless Union. Undergrads tend to take this bceause they know no better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, I feel it's worth pointing out now, since it's happened, that insults and personal abuse will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Allowing the university to fund the library out of the reg fee is a joke. If no-one's noticed staff have full + indeed more access to library facilities compared to students so I don't see the justification for students to further subsidise it when it isn't a solely student service.

Also pretty much every other college in the country ran out of money in the welfare fund last year WAY before the end of the year so I'll be pleasantly suprised if it works out.

How much exactly is class rep training? also how many class reps are there?

It cost 20,000 last year according to the budget. Not sure how many class reps went (ie not all positions were filled). The more obvious question is how many people who were not class reps went?

The also spent 70,000 on "sundries/unplanned expenses", whatever the feck those where.

http://www.ucdsu.ie/about/union-budget/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

mad lad wrote: »
    The also spent 70,000 on "sundries/unplanned expenses", whatever the feck those where.

Johnies and fags.

It cost 20,000 last year according to the budget. Not sure how many class reps went (ie not all positions were filled). The more obvious question is how many people who were not class reps went?

Sundries/unplanned expenses are when you wake up the next day and spend your morning looking for 50 euro you were sure you didn't use cause you told yourself before you went out that you'll bring it as 'emergency money'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

About 100 or so go. I think more is spent on USI congress per person though. You get to stay in a hotel :)

Asking for the officers to take a pay cut is crazy. They already get paid ****. You have to give them an incentive to work.

Redmonds "BlackBerry Wireless Handheld" is going ape****

gubbie wrote: »
    About 100 or so go. I think more is spent on USI congress per person though. You get to stay in a hotel :)

Dont the class reps get a tenner a day spending money for booze plus free booze. Sickening the hypocrisy of some people. I mean there people who make no secret of the fact that they are taking whatever they can get but there are those that feign activism while getting what they can get.

pffft, lets not mention "Cáirde UCDSU" were the new sabbats go out on the piss with the old ones with the SU picking up the tabs for the Jaeger Bombs. ..Sundries/unplanned expenses...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OnlyTwoInter

Having been elected a class rep last year, I went on Class Rep Training last year and enjoyed myself but having found out the cost afterwards and the amount of people who were on the trip who were not class reps i felt quite guilty. I'm not trying to make excuses but for as many people that used class rep training as an excuse for a piss up there were people on the trip who got valuable experience out of it that made them better activists for UCDSU. The facts on Class Rep training, for last year at least, are :

• Students neither paid money nor were they themselves paid money in order to go on Class Rep training, unlike USI National Congress, where people were paid ten euro a day to go.
    • No free drink was purchased for anyone who was on the trip, altough cans were passed out on the bus which came out of Sabbatical Officer's Wages.
    • Everyone was given free dinner on the opening day of the congress, and free breakfast and dinner on the second day, as well as free travel to and from UCD and to and from the hotel and accomodation site.
    Imho, the cost should be brought down substantially, there is no reason for anyone who is not a class rep, or worse anyone who has not contested a class rep election, to be afforded a place on the trip.

Advertisement