Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are 1st years getting Flu Vaccines?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

I have got MMR but not the flu afaik.

Any info on flu vaccinations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Getting a flu vaccination is pointless. The flu is constantly mutating and changing. You would need to get a new vaccination every couple of months to keep up with it. Your grand with the MMR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

From what I gathered from the information in the orientation pack, they are recommending people who do not have the MMR to get it and they will be able to get it during orientation week.

The bit about the flu was just saying that UL are liasing with the HSE and in the event that a vaccine becomes available for H1N1, they will be in a position to administer it to students!

So don't worry about having to get injections... yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    From what I gathered from the information in the orientation pack, they are recommending people who do not have the MMR to get it and they will be able to get it during orientation week.

It might be an idea for students to get it before Orientation week. I doubt that they recommend drinking after getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I have mine got already and Im sure that not everyone drinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The Don wrote: »
    It might be an idea for students to get it before Orientation week. I doubt that they recommend drinking after getting the vaccine.

It's generally 24 hours you should stay off the booze for, at least that's the advice I was given when I got my injections for travelling.
    Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I have mine got already and Im sure that not everyone drinks?

True not everyone drinks but I think The Don was suggesting that if you do intend on having pints throughout the week you'd be better off getting the vaccination before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Getting a flu vaccination is pointless. The flu is constantly mutating and changing. You would need to get a new vaccination every couple of months to keep up with it. Your grand with the MMR.
    The idea of a hypothetical vaccination would be to stop a pandemic (we tend to get a H1N1 pandemic every two or three decades so worrying about a new strain after Christmas wouldn't matter all that much - this is the first global pandemic of any sort in 31 years and the first H1N1 major epidemic since 1977). Nevertheless it is correct to say that there are already four varieties of swine flu floating around, though that's because it started from four different strains n the first place. As a pandemic-stopper it would be "a" method. An extremely expensive one though when you multiply all the students by the cost of the vaccine, especially given that an outbreak isn't anywhere near certain and we're talking people who are as healthy as they're ever likely to be so even if a risk of infection existed, the long-term effect would likely be small or negligible (see how many will die, below)

UL has an action plan in the event of an outbreak, though I feel it reasonable to point out that it is one of those "an undertaking of great advantage but no-one to know what it is"[1] plans as the information page for the past month merely says that there is one. I guess if it's made public then the swine flu can read it too so perhaps that makes sense.

No vaccination I'm afraid. Most of you are young, odds are good that very few of you will die[2]. Go to your doctor yourself and get one if you feel worried. I believe they've added soap machines inside some of the doors. The satirists will have a field day. Try not to lick people, it'll help. Don't suck your thumb while typing on a public keyboard.

[1] I'm sorry, I can't help myself. Yes, I know I'm going to get the piggy piggy flu now

[2] There is a tiny chance that one of you will die. But it's easier for me to take the piss out of that before it happens rather than after.

Incidentally, I haven't had the MMR vaccine (as it wasn't used here until the late 80s or so), but I have caught all three in the past, which is just as good and the mumps kept me thin as a nipper. However, I've never had the chicken pox. That's my achilles heel, now you all know. I was also born too late to have a smallpox vaccine but I'm less worried about that.

If you're out there and you haven't had your MMR, definitely go get it, preferably before you arrive. There have been a few outbreaks of mumps in particular in the past few years in UL so that's a clear and present danger. It's not as though mumps is floating around there all the time waiting for you to pass by but there have been mumps outbreaks and you're putting yourself in danger if you don't get it.

(oh, when I said 31 years above I meant 41. It was in 1968 with Hong Kong Flu. I still think of the 60s as 30 years ago and WW2 as having ended about 50 years ago. That's the way it was when I was growing up you see but things change.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

There isn't a vaccine available for the A(H1N1) virus ("swine flu") yet.

It won't be available until the end of September at the earliest and even then it will only be rolled out to "high risk" groups (those with underlying health conditions, medical workers, the very young, the elderly, etc.) first of all before being offered to the general public, under which category the majority of students fall. So, in short there will not be widespread vaccinating of first years in orientation week. Also, the A(H1N1) vaccine comes as two injections, the second delivered three weeks (I think) after the first one. Both are essential for immunity. Of course, getting the A(H1N1) flu will also ensure immunity.

Secondly, the regular annual influenza vaccine (again, made freely available to high risk groups mentioned above) is usually available during the last week of September/first week of October. This is usually delivered as one injection.

I'm not a clinician, but I get the regular flu vaccine every year, and my GP recommends that I be in good general health before receiving the vaccine so as to ensure that my immune system doesn't become strained trying to cope with producing antibodies against the immobilised virus. He also recommends that I take it easy and look after myself for a couple of days after the shot in light of the above.

Afaik, unless you're in a high risk group, you will have to pay for these vaccines through your local GP (Medical/DPS cards withstanding). I don't know whether the UL Medical Centre offers these particular services free of charge; I know they do deliver vaccines (say, for example, those required when travelling to certain areas) but the cost of the vaccine must be met by the student (although the GP fee is waivered, as is standard). I am open to correction on these facts; perhaps the SU Welfare Officer (ninty9er) may have more correct information on this?

Tbh, there is an awful lot of hype going on around about the swine flu. It is just like the regular flu. In fact, most patients report milder symptoms than with the annual winter influenza. Go to bed for a few days. Drink Lemsip. Take paracetamol. Feel sorry for yourself. It'll go away and you'll be fine.*

People die of the normal flu every year too (and in no fewer numbers than with the swine flu); but these are rare cases, as with the swine flu. Usually it's because people develop pneumonia as a secondary infection and this is what kills them and not the actual flu virus itself.

Here's an important question to ask yourself: Do you worry about the flu normally every year? Do you normally get the flu vaccine every year? If your answer is no, then...

Stop worrying.

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice. I am not a medical practitioner. This is general advice for sound good health in a period of illness. If you are worried about your health, contact and take the advice of a qualified medical practitioner. Not someone who lives under the pseudonym of an aquatic mammal.

You know, re-reading my post, it might not be that clear that I reckon we shouldn't be too worried about the evil swine flu, though I was hoping that the tone would carry it through. Although I stand by my comments about not licking people.
    Stop worrying.
    That's good advice that.

Though get your MMR if you haven't already (go to medical centre early) as all three are more severe if you catch them as adults.

Advertisement