Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found An Apartment have a problem The Landlord is the Auctioneer

Options
  • 24-08-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Found an apartment last wednesday.

got a viewing for it and my girlfriends seen it later that evening

went to friday to do all the arrangements got a list 7 things to do

Refs for us both for our jobs and our landlord and her last land lord as I lived at home.

thats all grand all our stuff checked out.

on the day I signed a form saying I was paying the deposit form and handed over the cash. if we back out we lose 850euro

later that day I rang them up saying I forgot to mention that the bed felt like it was goin to go threw when I sat on it during the viewing. she said did I say it to the auctioneer I said no I forgot that was friday.

since wednesday they have dragged there heels turns out the auctioneer that should us the place owns the place. which we were never told.

so went in today and to sign the forms to move it. they never went near the bed but were really trying to get me to sign the lease and she even try'd get trick me into signing the lease today.

I said I wont be signing anything or paying anything till the bed is sorted out.

she said o.k talk a look lease I did. the auctioneers name bank account details and sort code were on the lease.

then at the end of the meeting she said do you want to sign the lease again I said no. she said we will get on to the owner and get her to check out the bed,

since wednesday they have made no atempt to contact either of us not the auction or the owner/auctioneer.

we came across the ad after we went to view it, it was up for sale for 170'000.

what do we do we are panicing.... it just doesnt feel right

please ive us advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It could be up for sale for a while and nothing is happening with it. Nothing wrong with renting it out in the meantime. They can keep trying to sell it but if you have a lease with them they have to give you a certain notice period to vacate if they have it sold. There should be details in the lease about it. Same for any rented property afaik.

Is it worth losing the apartment over a bed? If you want the apartment and there's no other issue then take it. You can sort the bed out later really.

The Landlord doesn't have to disclose who he/she is either, them happening to be an agent isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Is this in east Cork by any chance? If so, PM me. I'd an experience with a con artist who operates as an auctioneer in a supposedly respectable practice down there a few years ago. I've information that might help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Cathooo wrote: »
    The Landlord doesn't have to disclose who he/she is either, them happening to be an agent isn't an issue.

Its extremely unethical in any business to pretend to be an agent for a 3rd party when in fact the 3rd party is yourself. In most businesses there is specific bans on using your professional practice to sell your services or assets as somebody elses. Its technically a form of insider trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

so they have us down both of us on the lease. Now I told them yesterday Im not signing or paying anything till the bed is sorted out. they agreed to check it out.

so my girlfriend went to them to sign her sig for her bank account draft. I told her not to sign the lease but they tricked her like they try'd to do me and said but we can have you in tomorrow like.

so she signed it now i have'nt yet and wont till the bed is sorted it out. Im not sleeping in a bed thats goin to break the first nite.

well The auctioneer that viewed the place to us. we have found out yesterday is the owner during the viewing she acted as if she was and as if she wasnt it was strange. she kept mentioning the owner.

Then a day later after the viewing got an email from her saying the place is up for rent if you would like a viewing. found the email yesterday it scrolled down on it and it stated as she was the owner of the property

now all the paper work in the auctioneers place in there business in dublin 2 is being done by another auctioneer.

so she is gettin someone else to draw the lease up for us.

Is all this Legal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It sounds like you are making a big deal over nothing. I find it a little hard to understand your post as I am guessing English is not your first language.

Anyway as the estate agents are going to be your only point of contact it doesn't matter who own the property.

Simply write a letter stating the bed has to be fixed/replaced within a period of time or a rent reduction will take place. Get them to sign and agree to this otherwise it is useless.

Lease agreements are pretty standard and no matter what the lease says you have a certain minimum level of lease. Most leases are no more than the minimum.

• Advertisement

right leavin now to go sign the lease and get the keys. what if they dont have the bed sorted out ? give them the letter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

cable842 wrote: »
    right leavin now to go sign the lease and get the keys. what if they dont have the bed sorted out ? give them the letter ?

yeah get them to sign the letter then.

grand i'll print one up just incase they have'nt sorted out the bed.

they told my girlfriend last nite they were goin to sort it out last nite. hopefully they did.

but they way they do business I dont think they did anything.

since the start they have barely made any effort to get us in there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cable842 wrote: »
    so my girlfriend went to them to sign her sig for her bank account draft. I told her not to sign the lease but they tricked her

im sorry what a load of rubbish. how do you "trick" somebody to sign something.

if your girlfriend didnt read what she was signing well then thats not trickery thats just stupidity

well I told them I am not paying anything till they sort out the place and repair the broken bed. and they told her everything is fixed and perfect so she signed. and for the last 3 days we have slept in a broken bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Seriously? With so many properties to rent in Dublin at the moment why would you sign a lease for somewhere you weren't happy about? Now that you're in what onus is on them to replace the bed?

You should not have signed until you got it sorted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seriously? With so many properties to rent in Dublin at the moment why would you sign a lease for somewhere you weren't happy about? Now that you're in what onus is on them to replace the bed?

OR even checked that it was sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i know i really dont understand some people. :confused:

they told us it was fully sorted and everything was grand. well in 3 days now. and she replaced the cooker and she is working on a queen size bed

Advertisement