Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Ball, Off to Donnybrook?

• 24-08-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I heard a rumour that RTE is sniffing around the OTB lads...dont know how true it is, especially since the new schedule was announced...

Would the RTE mothership kill them off if they did move like it has to others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hopefully it might sharpen up their diction and grammar.

Do people actually speak like that?:confused:

Jeesh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

By far the best sports show on radio despite the annoying lisps and accents...miles superior to anythin the civil service station can produce.

Any move to the pink palace the originality and spontaneity this show currently has.

Tell the thick cnunts to fcuck off lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

that would be a travesty, they'd lose all their irreverence which is the main selling point, they have already 'poached' Hugh Cahill so it's possible
    blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

By far the best sports show on radio despite the annoying lisps and accents...miles superior to anythin the civil service station can produce.

Any move to the pink palace the originality and spontaneity this show currently has.

Tell the thick cnunts to fcuck off lads...

correction , best show on radio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

irish_bob wrote: »
    correction , best show on radio

mmmm....yeah could go with that Robert...correction taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

RTE's new sports programme is going to be from 7 - 8. Trying to condense Off The Ball into one hour just wouldn't work. The lads have made no secret of the fact they are not exactly paid alot, so I wouldn't blame them for jumping ship.

The arts show that was one Radio 1 at 8pm only got an audience of 16,000, whereas Off The Ball gets 44,000. So you can see why RTE might be interested. Newstalk would replace MacDevitt with Gilroy, which would split the audience for both stations. RTE would also had to re-think its schedule, again.

Small problem.

The ABC audience of Radio 1 wouldn't go for the grammatical mistakes and staccato delivery of OTB.

Would expect people to be able to speak properly, in intelligable accents, and diction which can be understood.

RTE1 listenership won't buy that shíte.

Like asking a granny to like the DSSSSH DSHHH music from a boy racers white Honda Civic.

Duddnt work as the Texan might say:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Small problem.

The ABC audience of Radio 1 wouldn't go for the grammatical mistakes and staccato delivery of OTB.

Would expect people to be able to speak properly, in intelligable accents, and diction which can be understood.

Like asking a granny to like the DSSSSH DSHHH music from a boy racers white Honda Civic.

Duddnt work as the Texan might say:cool:

Why does it have to be Radio 1?..who knows someone in Montrose might have...what are they called....oh yeah... an idea!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

2 things;

-Newstalk should hold on to these boys as long as they can, it along with Hook is the only 'original' show left and definately the most succesful given the timeslot. I doubt I'd listen without them on.
    -If RTÉ did take them they would have to take the producers as well. The show works well as a show, you can't take McDevitt and not Early ect. The transition from Gilroy to McDevitt went well because of the shows overall strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

themont85 wrote: »
    2 things;

--If RTÉ did take them they would have to take the producers as well. The show works well as a show, you can't take McDevitt and not Early ect.
    Great! Aren't RTE already overstaffed?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It may have been an idea before they reformed their schedual and brought in a new sports slot of their own

I doubt they would make a move for them now.

And as already mentioned, its the irreverence and sometimes risque listener texts that make the show what it is.

I can imagine young mcdevitt & early trying to banter with the crusty civil servant producers there killing their buzz.

Considering their limited budget they always have the best guest/contributors and delivery a great product.

& sorry Flutterin- I can understand them just fine !

No worries sunshine, different strokes etc etc.

I like to listen to people who can to a large extent anyway speak properly, and grammatically.

Bursts my buns bigtime when I listen to those do dos mangling the tenses, mispronouncing words, malapropping and generally showing their lack of a rounded education and trading on a thick neck instead of proper diction,much like the average BB contestant.

But.... each to his own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I like to listen to people who can to a large extent anyway speak properly, and grammatically.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Newstalk should maybe put Tom Dunne on 7-8 every evening and off the ball 8-10, it's a good show but they do drag it out a bit and my god there is too many ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

rte should take gilroy
    he sounds like a knob IMO and doesn't gel with the OTB crew
    lately he has tried to dumb down to the level of some of the OTB presenters, like the two rednecks from galway and kerry and doesn't come across well
    hopefully he'll replace des cahill

as for gilroys efforts on the breakfast show, embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No worries sunshine, different strokes etc etc.

Bursts my buns bigtime when I listen to those do dos mangling the tenses, mispronouncing words, malapropping and generally showing their lack of a rounded education and trading on a thick neck instead of proper diction,much like the average BB contestant.

But.... each to his own I guess.
    :D yet further evidence that Flut missed out on a job at newstalk.....

I have to say I love these guys with a passion. There's no nicer feeling these days than sitting down on a wet, cold summer's night with a cup of tea and a few mcvities and listen to the lads ramble on etc. They have great chemistry and Early, love him or hate him, has 'it', whatever the fck 'it' is. Would hate to see them being restricted or controlled by RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

K4t wrote: »

I have to say I love these guys with a passion. There's no nicer feeling these days than sitting down on a wet, cold summer's night with a cup of tea and a few mcvities and listen to the lads ramble on etc. They have great chemistry and Early, love him or hate him, has 'it', whatever the fck 'it' is. Would hate to see them being restricted or controlled by RTE.

true , they need to be in a garrage somewhere , not in the cosy establishment confines of montrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Small problem.

Ridiculous waffle and completely untrue. You're exaggerating.

K4t wrote: »

I respect your opinion, but nobody ,but nobody ,tempts me to take the Roberts in my right hand like a discus thrower, and dispatch it to a point as far away and as hostile to delicate instruments as possible ,than the said Mr Early.:D

Biggest imposter ever to set foot in a radio studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like Ken. He seems to have his own sense of humor but I love when he tries to ramble on about sports he couldn't give a **** about like athletics.

Murph is the reason I listen though. Never has a bogger made me laugh so hard. The Country Pages are a great feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Anyone hear their efforts to try to resurect their 'bamboozle' thing, see how many times it can be fitted into interviews and get people to say it. Have to say I enjoy it.

That about sums them up I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Well then Flut I guess we plebs are just not up to your high standard of enjoyment!

If you dont like it, then dont listen!
    Unless the reception is poor for other stations up there in your ivory tower :D

Well then Flut I guess we plebs are just not up to your high standard of enjoyment!

If you dont like it, then dont listen!
    Unless the reception is poor for other stations up there in your ivory tower :D

Ahh now that's below the belt.

No I don't like it,but I'm sure others do and I have no problem with that at all.

I can take about 20 mins but after that it becomes tiresome.

Now the FORMAT is good and it certainly has it's points ,and it covers NFL which RTE totally ignore. So kudos there.

Now I'll have to admit I'm not adverse to listening from my ivory tower but picky fcuker as I am, I throw the head when I hear all the grammatical mistakes.

Glad you enjoy it and long may it continue as I know it is very popular:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not enough UFC talk though IMO

:eek:

Jeez... that would ensure an airborne tranny:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

OTB moving to RTE would be like a turkey voting for Christmas. There is no way that they would be able to continue as-is - they'd get suffocated under a heap of "You can't be saying that" reprimands. Also, RTE could not dedicate 3 hours per night to sport.

Would Ken Early continue to get the opportunity to create new enemies in the Irish football camp ? Like the Lee Carsley interview ? Or the recent one where he tried to push Trapp on why he was ignoring Chris McCann ? I believe Tony O'Donoghue would continue to be the one asking safe questions at the press conferences and then lapping up the anodyne answers.

I suppose Ken could transer to The Guardian. AC Jimbo seemes to be enamoured by him.

Ahem horse....... cough...

Ken might be found out as the so called "informed" person when all the "banter" and other shyte is expunged and good journalism and reportage is the dominant issue;)

Sorry to bust yer bubble buddy:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

good journalism and reportage is the dominant issue;)

Des Cahill?

• Advertisement

heh heh he ... aahh ...no:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Seriously hope RTE do not get their hands on this gem of a show. Some of the lads material warms the cockles of my heart when i'm on the late shift at work. Its highly irreverent wit and top notch guests make it the best show on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

imagine the trouble in montrose if they had to spend all that time getting the maestros to change or-t-e to ar-t-e. so what if there are grammatical errors, it's not a sign of poor education, it's a sign that they had a shyte english teacher. thought their few minutes taking the piss out of the waterford u21 captains speech was legendary, explaining the principle of not having to shout into a microphone that already amplifies your voice..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Jesus I hope not. That would be the end.

Advertisement