Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 is this a good price?

• 24-08-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just wondering what ye're thoughts are on the price of Windows 7,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-PC/dp/B002DUCMT2/ref=amb_link_84278153_2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1MEMXFAJW6Z16NXMC74V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470730533&pf_rd_i=468294

On amazon(generally good price comparison) it's going for 64 sterling on preorder...

What does everyone think of this price?
    It seems quite a good price to me considering Vista is £77's

Is windows 7 price sure to rise when it comes out? Should we go out and order this on preorder.

Also something which i found quite interesting was how on amazon, Windows 7 ultimate on preorder is £169
    Where as here on aria.co.uk, Windows Vista Ultimate with a windows 7 Ultimate voucher is only £139

Where are they getting these prices from and will it be very much dependent on demand.

Where does everyone see these prices going?
    If anyone can remember what happened to Vista that would be good too!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Effluo wrote: »
    On amazon(generally good price comparison) it's going for 64 sterling on preorder...

Don't forget P&P and Irish VAT rather than UK brings it up to around 75 sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RobD_

very bad price :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Could you expand on "very bad price" plz?

I don't understand how it is a bad price when it is still cheaper than vista...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In light of this news, I'd hold off until Tuesday next week, to see what options you have in terms of upgrade price vs full price, given the line "Microsoft said customers could get full copies of Windows 7 at that upgrade price".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

You shouldn't reallly rush out to buy the newest Windows like you would a game anyway.
    Operating systems tend to be buggy and perform poorly when they're first released. Definately worth waiting a year while they iron the wrinkles out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hmmm. I ordered Windows 7 Professional at a special pre-release price on Amazon (£79 ex VAT and shipping). This will be a full release version ... but I wonder if the upgrade version would be a bit better.

Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Having been using windows 7 since the early beta versions, and now using the RTM i can say that so far i have encountered no issues. None of that instability that Vista had on it's release. Personally i don't think there's much of a worry being an early adopter with windows 7.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/24/win_7_price_europe/

ffs sake!!!

you'd think that a big corp would have had this sorted by now...

This says that it'll cost £79.99 to upgrade to windows 7 from vista or xp but £150 to buy the full version...

So then surely the amazon price at £64 is a bargain(or at least 15 pound cheaper)?

or am i missing something...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It looks like Amazon are basically selling you the full retail package for the price that the upgrade would have probably been offered if it had initially been available. (Whereas if you check the Amazon US listings, there's an $80 difference between upgrade media and full install media).

I'd be pretty surprised if you find a better price than £64 for it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In terms of memory usage in comparison to Vista - Which is more of a resource hog? I wouldn't install Windows 7 until a service pack has been released. No doubt it will be riddled with bugs and security flaws until a major patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was preording in the US at one point for $50. The Family Pack will be 3 Home Lisences for $150.

Windows 7 runs much better on lower specs than Vista does. to hell with your memory requirements. By one report its ran successfully on as little as 096.00 Megabytes of RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sweet

dlofnep wrote: »
    In terms of memory usage in comparison to Vista - Which is more of a resource hog? I wouldn't install Windows 7 until a service pack has been released. No doubt it will be riddled with bugs and security flaws until a major patch.

Please stop bad mouthing my beloved windows 7...

This is why i don't understand their preorder price...

I thinks it's bound to go up...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dlofnep wrote: »
    tbh windows 7 is a service pack for vista

bit like 98 was a service pack for 95,( except they pushed IE4 on as well :( )

And that has what to do with the pricing?

anyone any opinions on what this thread is supposed to be about plz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

Fremen wrote: »
    You shouldn't reallly rush out to buy the newest Windows like you would a game anyway.
    Operating systems tend to be buggy and perform poorly when they're first released. Definately worth waiting a year while they iron the wrinkles out.

But Windows 7 essentially is Vista with the wrinkles ironed out...

Advertisement