Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Strength Restart!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Squats: Went with advice and did about 80% of current max (90kg).

Just on this can I just ask what exactly was suggested to you and why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Just on this can I just ask what exactly was suggested to you and why

sure - I was finding maxing out my squats 3 days a week was holding back my recovery and felt that I wasn't progressing weight wise because of this. So I put out for suggestions, I think you suggested something too, and going 80% was suggested along with front squats which I also had been considering but I liked the idea of 80% more. No more science behind it than that I'm afraid :)

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 90kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 22.5kg
    1 x 3 25kg
    1 x 2 30kg
    3 x 5 40kg - FAIL on the last rep!

Pull Ups:
    1 x 3
    1 x 2
    1 x 1

Squats: My God that was tough. Don't know why, especially when the last set was easier than the first 2.

Press: Hate Hate Hate - surprised i got as far as i did, that 40kg was a real killer compared to the 37.5.

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 92.5kg

Bench Press:
    3x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 65kg
    2 x 5 75kg
    1 x 3 75kg FAIL AGAIN!!

Chin Ups
    1 x 8
    1 x 4
    1 x 3

Squats:
    Didn't think I was going to get there, felt harder in the warm up than the actual sets, still very tough though. After one of threads here started to visualise me pushing up after each squat, actually quite hard to do when concentrating on form and not falling over :)

Bench: Annoyed I failed this again...just couldn't get the bar moving again in that last set.

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 95kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 25kg
    1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 2 32.5kg
    3 x 5 40kg

Deadlifts:
    2 x 5 60kg
    1 x 3 70kg
    1 x 2 75kg
    1 x 5 95kg

Dips:
    1 x 11
    1 x 5
    1 x 3

Squats: Went to do front squats, felt that i wouldn't achieve anything as my attempts with just the bar were pathetic, so did the warm up sets felt good and decided sure feck it, go for the 95...apart from 1 or 2 reps which were dodgy felt my form was good.

Press: Hate Hate Hate..but at least i got that 40kg today!

Deads: Not too bad now, miscalculated again on the last warm up set, but my form was pretty good i think.

• Advertisement

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 95kg

Bench Press:
    3x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 65kg
    3 x 5 75kg
    1 x 7 60kg

Pull Ups:
    1 x 2
    2 x 1 :(

Squats: Felt tougher that wed though I think form was better although there were still a couple of dodgy reps in there, going to stay at this, I am improving my technique and can really feel the difference with the good technique as opposed to the bad (on my heels as opposed to toes) now that I am at a heavier weight, don't want to go heavier till I nail this with 3 x 5 all on my heels and down low.

Bench:
    Yayy i got back to 75, was so happy tried to to do 10 x 60 and failed but no worries, although i do think it killed me for my pull ups, only got 2 and not 3 ;)

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 95kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 25kg
    1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 2 32.5kg
    2 x 5 42.5kg
    1 x 4 42.5kg FAIL!!

Chin Ups
    1 x 9
    1 x 4
    1 x 2

Squats:
    Has to be one of the best set of squats I have done recently, well chuffed, 95 is done and dusted, bring on the 97.5!

Press: Thought I was going to make this right up till the last one and I just couldn't get it back up, took a break for a minute and tried again but my arms were just nor for shifting. But tbh I did not expect to get it first go, so hopefully Friday should see it done.

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 97.5kg

Bench Press:
    3 x 5 30kg
    1 x 5 45kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 40kg
    1 x 4 80kg
    1 x 1 77.5kg
    2 x 5 77.5kg FAIL!

Deadlift:
    N/A

Dips:
    1 x 12
    2 x 5

Squats: Upped again, not the best set i ever did but ok apart from the last 3 where I was really tiring...going to try this again on Friday with a change of footwear, been using runners so far and it really is throwing my balance the heavier I get.

Bench: Don't know what the hell I was thinking going to 80, still at least i did the 77.5. Weird cramp in the 2nd last rep, last set, front sides went into spasm as I pushed out the 4th rep. Had to stop before to let the cramp pass before I could finish the last rep.

Deads: Had to miss this unfortunately as I was late and the bars were all in use, hopefully get to do it Friday.

Dips: nice finish to the session!

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 97.5kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 25kg
    1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 2 32.5kg
    3 x 5 42.5kg

Deadlift:
    1 x 5 60kg
    2 x 2 80kg
    1 x 5 100kg

Pull Ups:
    1 x 3
    2 x 2

Squats: Really weak 1st set at max weight..had to stop after 4 reps as i thought i was done...took 30 seconds and finished set. Then attacked the other two sets really hard and they went quite well..guy beside me thought i was going to fall over on final rep i think...mind you so did I!

Bench: Yeah!! Pretty sure this is a PB, so delighted at that. Form was rotten I think, though I think I am still improving here.

Deads: annoyed, form was ****, on 2nd warm up set I walked away in disgust at my form and then went back and changed to sumo stance and form was good dunno why I just can't get the narrower stance right..it comes and it goes, but i just was not pushing with my hips and i don't know why. Will keep working at it, Sumo stance is a saver though and the 100kg lifts were easy enough.

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 97.5kg

Bench Press:
    3 x 5 30kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 79kg
    2 x 5 80kg
    1 x 3 80kg FAIL!!

Chin Ups
    1 x 5
    1 x 3
    1 x 2

Squats:
    Think that is 97.5 done. Back muscles felt tight all weekend, not helped by the lack of sleep all weekend...start of the silly season i guess. Thought it was going to be too tired to finish but although it was hard today I was definitely better for all 3 sets. In my mind I am trying 100kg on wed, but I will wait n see

Bench Press: 80kg proved just too much, tried to finish the last set but couldn't get it off the rack. Friday should prove a success at this...80kg by end of week!! It will be a great way to start my Christmas Party!

Looking to incorporate a proper abs routine as I have maxed out the cruncher machine, and am really feeling my abs getting busted on the squat when I come back up, so don't want these to be my weak point. Will look to bring this in next year along with a 5x5 routine I think. Time to watch Transforms videos I think!

• Advertisement

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 100kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 30kg
    1 x 3 32.5kg
    1 x 2 37.55kg
    2 x 5 45kg
    1 x 4 45kg FAIL!

Deadlift:
    1 x 5 60kg
    1 x 3 80kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    1 x 5 110kg
    1 x 1 120kg

Dips:
    1 x 7
    1 x 3
    1 x 4

Squats: Not my best ever set of squats but man they felt good. No real problems and was strong and deep for all. I have the secret, feeling much stronger the past 2 weeks - must be mince pies - has to be mince pies my only diet change - forget clean eating, eat as many mince pies as ye can shove down your throat!!!

Press: Was suprised to get as far as I did as I was feeling pretty good, then I just could not move my arms any more for that last rep, disappointing, but overall pretty happy - will nail it Monday!

Deads: Really felt the form working well today, I really think I can see the difference now. Equalled my PB but it was set with rotten form and today I even think I could have went higher...will leave that to next week. 130kg here i come!

EAT MINCE PIES! :)

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 100kg

Bench Press:
    3 x 5 30kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 70kg
    3 x 5 80kg PB

Pull Ups
    3 x 2

Squats:
    100kg feeling still lot of work, but doing it none the less!

Press:
    80kg done at last...woohoo!

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    3 x 5 100kg
    1 x 2 105kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 25kg
    1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 2 37.5kg
    3 x 5 45kg PB

Chin Ups
    1 x 7
    1 x 3
    1 x 2

Squats:
    The 100kg started really tough, went back to do the 105 just to see and it felt not too bad almost no difference. I wonder if it is my ratio of weight in the warm ups that need to increase or is it the pain i get in my groin during my warm up sets is long gone by the time I am finished my work sets..hmm.

Press:
    45kg done, well I did tip toe on the 2nd last in the 3rd set, no idea why and did it without thinking, so will redo this weight on Friday.

looking at my aims I posted a couple of weeks ago:

"for Squat I wanna be doing at least 100kg well before 2010 comes a knocking." Done - now want 105kg.

"Bench I want 85kg." Getting there

"overhead 45kg." Done. Would like 50kg but not convinced I have the time.

"Not too sure on Deads as I can do 120 but my form is ****..maybe I should aim for 120 with good form, time is short and i was just going to concentrate on form for the rest of the year here so will go half way and say 110kg." Both done - although I need to get all the reps in for 120kg. That is for Wednesday!

Progress is not bad at the moment, felt the really bad diet at the weekend today, practically had no real protein eaten at all yesterday - will need to try and sort that going forward as it is just laziness.

Not a good day at the office :(

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 70kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    3 x 5 102.5kg

Bench Press:
    3 x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 70kg
    2 x 5 82.5kg
    1 x 2 82.5kg FAIL!

Deadlift:
    1 x 5 60kg
    1 x 3 80kg
    1 x 2 100kg
    1 x 2 120kg FAIL!

Dips:
    1 x 4
    2 x 2

Squats: Man this was hard. Managed to just about get through it tho there were some dodgy ones in there i think.

Bench Press: Sucked big time...only managed the 2 sets by taking loads of breaks in between reps and finally couldn't lift it at all..sucks.

Deads: Form was ok but strength was gone - did 2 reps at work weight and couldn't hold on anymore, put it down and tried to lift again but couldn't - was done in as my dips effort showed.

I think the reason is simply I have had no mince pies since Friday so what do I expect I need to EAT MORE MINCE PIES! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

You seem to be doing well.

Although have you changed your programme from the original Starting Strength programme? You seem to be doing a lot of sets with different weights, rather than the 3 sets, 5 reps programme for everything except the deadlift.

I know what you mean about the dumbbell bench press though. I'm using 15 kg dumbbells and getting into position is a f****r as they feel very very heavy and I'm worried they're going to snap my wrists or something. But once I get into the position on the bench, it's no big deal pressing them.

I'm thinking that I may also need to start doing the more standard barbell bench pressing at the gym as I can see the dumbbell presses becoming more limiting as the weight goes up and I have to get into position on the bench.

You seem to be doing well.

Although have you changed your programme from the original Starting Strength programme? You seem to be doing a lot of sets with different weights, rather than the 3 sets, 5 reps programme for everything except the deadlift.

I know what you mean about the dumbbell bench press though. I'm using 15 kg dumbbells and getting into position is a f****r as they feel very very heavy and I'm worried they're going to snap my wrists or something. But once I get into the position on the bench, it's no big deal pressing them.

I'm thinking that I may also need to start doing the more standard barbell bench pressing at the gym as I can see the dumbbell presses becoming more limiting as the weight goes up and I have to get into position on the bench.

The different sets are the warm up sets - if you get the starting strength spreadsheet it gives you the warm ups you should be doing before the work set - it probably isn't clear on the wiki. You can get it here - should help you work out your sets and how much to increase them by on a day to day basis. Early on you will see your increases literally daily, I find that just now I can only increase my squat once a week otherwise I am just destroyed.

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 77.5kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    3 x 5 102.5kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 25kg
    1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 2 37.5kg
    3 x 5 45kg PB

Pull Ups
    1 x 3
    2 x 2

10 minutes of HIIT

Squats:
    Good sets today, felt fairly strong and even got a compliment off someone after i finished...mind you he did admit that he can't do squats as it fecks his knees so i don't know if i should read too much into that :) still, 105 next week, hopefully Monday depending on how I feel.

Press:
    45kg done - no tip toes just strong pressing. 47.5kg next week, expect i will fail 3 sets but will prepare me to get it the monday following week.

I have a pain in my chest (sternum), felt it when i was doing dips on wednesday and it has hung around, didn't bother me doing squats or anything, but turning around and getting up from lying down it hurts, hopefully the weekend will see it get better and i will skip the dips for the moment, decided to do some cardio instead of crunches too as it would hurt with that movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

First time back after Christmas, due to ice, kids and loads of face stuffing rubbish :D

So about 3 kg heavier a carrying more soft belly tissue than i have for a long time I went into the gym.

Didn't really expect to do much and was just looking to get back in, was pleasantly surprised:

Squats:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 70kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    3 x 5 100kg
    Not quite the 105 pre Christmas but a lot better than i expected after 2 weeks off.

Bench:
    3 x 5 30kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 70kg
    1 x 5 80kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    1 x 3 75kg
    1 x 5 75kg
    Failed the 80kg big time...stupid new 3/4 tracksuit kept sliding me around the bench and ended all over the place...not that i would have managed it anyway...still i reckon 80kg should be done again end of week..so not too much roll back.

Chin ups:
    1 x 6
    2 x 2

5 mins HIIT (meant to be 10 but i was done like a turkey).

So not a bad session for first visit of the decade..expect to be sore tomorrow..need to get stretching and might go for run...expect to lose the belly i gained by end of month and then move onto a new program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Your making some great progress.Mind if I ask how many times you reset on this program?

• Advertisement

digme wrote: »
    Your making some great progress.Mind if I ask how many times you reset on this program?

not many really - had a big reset after summer hols and that has been pretty much it, i have stalled a few times but after 2 or 3 attempts i have gotten there, rather than resetting the minute i stalled, i did reset my bench as 70kg was proving elusive but after that it has been ok. You can see before December too i was having real problems with squatting but i took the increases real slowly and it seems to have paid off now.

So you only reset your bench.I seen you had some problems alight with the squats, but taking it slowly worked wonders for you.When you had trouble adding more weight to the squats,did you change your technique a few times on the squats by any chance?

well after summer hols i reset everything, maybe had to do it after being sick too can't remember...but yeah that's about it.

with the squats, i didn't really change my technique, was more concerned about hitting a good depth and being able to stand up after i finished my last set - the only one i have changed technique with is my deads, which i reset after Summer hols anyway...still trying to perfect my technique on those.

Really sore with DOMS today so initially wasn't going to squat apart with warm up weights...but felt ok so kept going but not with my top weight...hopefully will be ok tomorrow :)

Squat:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    3 x 5 90kg

Press:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 25kg
    1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 2 35kg
    3 x 5 40kg

Deadlift:
    1 x 5 60kg
    1 x 3 80kg
    1 x 2 110kg
    1 x 3 120kg FAIL but I don't mind too much this being my first week back and all...form was great which was really pleasing.

Squat:
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 70kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    1 x 3 105kg
    1 x 2 100kg
    2 x 5 100kg

Bench Press:
    3 x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 70kg
    1 x 5 80kg
    1 x 2 80kg
    1 x 3 75kg
    1 x 5 80kg

3 x 2 Pull Ups

10 Minutes HIIT

Thought I would be able to do the 105kg no probs, but really struggled with the 2nd one and was wobbly as hell on the 3rd. The 100kg was almost as bad - the last set i banged off the rails when I went down and nearly went all over, then on the last I was really on bad form, on tippie toes getting back. Still I got them done.

Bench was incredibly tough, but hopefully i will get the 80kg next week.

Gym is closed due to the snow...still i spent the last hour and half shovelling grit and dragging it up and down the estate to melt the ice and snow so some workout done!

bloody hell i am tired today, arms still sore from all that shovelling and lifting of gravel on Monday too...so starteth the excuses :D

Squat
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 3 70kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    1 x 5 102.5kg
    1 x 2 102.5kg
    1 x 3 90kg
    1 x 5 90kg

My groin was really sore, no amount of stretching helped it today and with the heavier weight i was really struggling. Stopped during 1st round of worksets and had to stop after 1 in the 2nd set. A buddy came up to me then and we were talking for 10 minutes which really threw me when i went back to it, managed one more and decided that between my groin and struggles i was going to do more harm than good and would just finish worksets at a lower weight, man 90kg felt so light :) Must try to do those bird dogs as stretches as my groin does not seem to loosen up at all these days with what i am doing.

Bench
    3 x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 60kg
    1 x 2 70kg
    3 x 5 80kg
    Yes! did the 80kg again, even if i had to stop on the final rep and take a breather, more to do with my poor form in the 2nd last rep than anything. At least this went well for me!

Deadlifts were not possible due to lack of equipment, maybe friday. Did pull ups instead although they were hardly worth the effort:

1 x 2
    2 x 1

:rolleyes:

Amazing when you go do a bit of ordinary shovelling your wrecked for days,different type of fitness altogether.
    Funny when you said your friend came up and you chatted for 10 minutes,i did the same recently while benching and went back to the bench and only lifted 50% of what i usually do,reason being is I cooled down to dam much.

You could do good-mornings instead of deads.
    Nice to see your still adding weight. :)

Man i am done in.

Squat
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 3 70kg
    1 x 2 90kg
    3 x 102.5 kg

Man this was damned hard. The warm up sets felt so good and then i went onto the work sets and oooh it was tough. Happy to nail it again though.

Press
    3 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 30kg
    1 x 3 35kg
    1 x 2 37.5kg
    3 x 5 42.5kg

Felt pretty good, might have been able to do 45kg in fact. Was supposed to move onto deadlifts as i missed them on wed, but ran out of time so i did pull ups, and pathetic as they are, i managed a PB

Pull Ups
    3 x 3

• Advertisement

digme wrote: »
    Amazing when you go do a bit of ordinary shovelling your wrecked for days,different type of fitness altogether.
    Funny when you said your friend came up and you chatted for 10 minutes,i did the same recently while benching and went back to the bench and only lifted 50% of what i usually do,reason being is I cooled down to dam much.

You could do good-mornings instead of deads.
    Nice to see your still adding weight. :)

yep pretty sure i am still sore from the shovelling :D

Advertisement