Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrels

Options
  • 24-08-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi I have an CA M15A4 SLV sportline i want to install a longer barrel to improve accuracy i don't have much cash to spend and the gun has no previous upgrades so far so I'm just wondering what length and what make to buy im trying to make it into a SPR rifle.Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

More important than barrel length is your hop up in terms of accuracy. Plus the fact that in order to make significant gains in accuracy, the length of the barrel has to be increased enough that you may need to a bore up kit on your cylinder in order to increase the volume of air being pushed down the barrel. Just to let you know.

Check out the Tanio Koba twist barrels. Their design apparently decreases the contact that the bb makes with the walls of the barrel, thereby increasing accuracy and effectiveness of hopup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The length is 363mm for that model. You'll be wanting a 6.03mm bore for the best results. Madbull Black Python and Prometheus barrels are what I'd recommend, I use the Madbull ones religiously but the Prometheus ones have an excellent reputation too.
    While doing that, change your hop rubber for a Guarder Clear Silicone type for an better range and a more stable flight. If you have a few extra bucks spare, I'd replace the hop unit itself too. Not necessary exactly, but it will make a slight improvement over the stock one, and you're changing the other two components anyway so there's never a better time. The Element, Guarder or G&P units are good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

i have the long barrel version so the standard barrel is 510MM in length the i hate M4 style Armalites

I'm also going to Buy an 3-9x40MM scope i already have a bipod and a short R.I.S unit attached to the fount of the handguard

Ah, I didn't see SLV at the end. Whenever I see CA M15A4 anymore, all I see is Sportsline, hence the 363mm.
    Madbull and Prometheus both do barrels in that size though, so everything I mentioned above still applies.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply but if replaced the barrel would i need get a new hopup unit or a Air nozzle and would it increase the power over one joule the power is already ranging from 94.37 meters per second to 93.21 which is just under the legal limit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

likely yes....

Ive seen fps jumps of nearly 20-30 fps from air seal upgrades....

basically, replace your hop, bucking, rubber and barrel...

I suggest a tk twist barrel, element red hop unit (better than most of the 'gucci' ones I find) and a sharkfin rubber and guarder bucking (dont put a H and sharkfin they cancel eachother out)

See what it cronos at, then drop the spring accordingly... with that setup, id advise a m80 or m85 spring to bring it to 320ish... win;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

If you are getting 94 meters per second, thats about 308 feet per second or about .88 J.
    its unlikely you would jump by the 20odd FPS needed to go over the limit but its something you would have to be careful of. im most cases the new hop will cancel out some of the FPS the tighter barrel gave it.

Masada wrote: »
    If you are getting 94 meters per second, thats about 308 feet per second or about .88 J.
    its unlikely you would jump by the 20odd FPS needed to go over the limit but its something you would have to be careful of. im most cases the new hop will cancel out some of the FPS the tighter barrel gave it.

No it will not... a new hop will likely bne more precice... and thus, a greater air seal, thus INCREASING the fps jump ... remember, we dont crono with hop ON, any air seal improvements, and the main reason for a new hopup is to improve that, will remove air leakage from the barrel system, the more air down it, the higher the fps, his stock m15 is probably leaking a lot as most stock guns do.... I'd tell him to upgrade the system, crono it fresh, then reduce the spring accordingly...;)

Yes it will...

A new hopup rubber always needs to bed in and when fresh it'll be slightly engaged, hence the slight drop off in fps. this is a fact, as i have seen in the uncountable amount of hopup/barrel instalations i have dont over the last 2 years.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

Masada wrote: »
    Yes it will...

A new hopup rubber always needs to bed in and when fresh it'll be slightly engaged, hence the slight drop off in fps. this is a fact, as i have seen in the uncountable amount of hopup/barrel instalations i have dont over the last 2 years.

:)

Sorry for poking my nose in, but was thinking of doing something similar with one of mine.

Am I reading what your saying correct Richie, the hop-up will be slightly engaged until it beds in, preventing the 20odd fps increase.....what happens when the hop-up has bedded in? Am I likely to see increase in fps?

In the barrel system upgrades ive done myself over the last... however many years, I cant belive i'm considering playing your e-penis game... Bedding in wont change the fps overall... either way, his gun will be overpowered, and a downgrade is usual after such upgrade has been undertaken yes? hot gun in the uk = less issue beyond ' cant use it', here, its illegal or not, and With this system and its closeness to the limit, i can see bedding in having no effect on the overall fps rise if he uses good parts... and whats the point in using bad ones?

Do you really like the element hop units? I've stopped using element parts because I've literally had to bin some of their stuff its been so bad on QC. I had a cylinder head that didn't fit and a piston head. And several other bits and bobs.

Although I suppose you're not looking for super accuracy of fit with a hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

have to aggree with vtec here, any of the hop bucking installs iv done have more often than not reduced the fps, the main reaon for this being is that they are usuall guarder clear buckings which are a bit on the aggressive side, i.e. even when fully off they are engaged a small degree, this results in usually 15-ish pfs shaved off the output.

whenthey do eventually bed in or even wear out that fps will rise again, unless soemthing else happens to reduce the airseal.

sci-ops wrote: »
    Sorry for poking my nose in, but was thinking of doing something similar with one of mine.

Am I reading what your saying correct Richie, the hop-up will be slightly engaged until it beds in, preventing the 20odd fps increase.....what happens when the hop-up has bedded in? Am I likely to see increase in fps?

yep thats right man, :)
    it will wear in though and come up in FPS a little (maybe 1000bbs,), its very unlikely the barrel will bring you up 20fps though, 10 is more like it and in some cases there will be very little if any difference.
    Big_G wrote: »
    Do you really like the element hop units? I've stopped using element parts because I've literally had to bin some of their stuff its been so bad on QC. I had a cylinder head that didn't fit and a piston head. And several other bits and bobs.

Yeah your right, most element parts have horrible quality control. there gears are nice, as is their piston heads but things like their tappet plates and hopups in my experience ive found are pretty cack.

Firekittten, again you feel the need to get personal with anyone who doesn't share your opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Firekitten wrote: »
    In the barrel system upgrades ive done myself over the last... however many years, I cant belive i'm considering playing your e-penis game... Bedding in wont change the fps overall... either way, his gun will be overpowered, and a downgrade is usual after such upgrade has been undertaken yes? hot gun in the uk = less issue beyond ' cant use it', here, its illegal or not, and With this system and its closeness to the limit, i can see bedding in having no effect on the overall fps rise if he uses good parts... and whats the point in using bad ones?

No one playing with their e-penises they are talking about barrels, so put your e-penis away and leave it there, someone disagreeing with you is not a red flag indicating the start line of a pissing contest.

Big_G wrote: »

I like thier red hop units... they have nice quality on those from the ones ive seen... and much better units than the systema, guarder, and g&p units... the o rings around the air nozzle and feed nozzle are awesome tbh... big improvement. THe other parts i dont tend to go for, but I tried one of these and it was lovely... ive used them and recomended them since.

My epenis? Oh dear, the imagery... *dies inside*

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

sometimes i wish i had an E-knife....:pac:

yeah element stuff can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, hop usits are usually good, thought there may be slight seam lines sometimes, no complaints re: their gears, shims, bearings, piston or other internals but its all down to QC really, be prepared for the possiblitty of a lemon, whcig justifies the price and you wont be too disappointed.

So then is Madbull a good brand of barrels to go for?

yep, one of my favorites, another being promethius but thats a bit more expensive so really depends on what you are willing to spend. :)

• Advertisement

I've heard good things about madbull. I love prometheus parts. There aren't bad prometheus anything... I'm running a Systema tightbore in my G36c at the moment with no problems. Perfect fit aswell.

yeah systema are very good too, i just dont like the price of them. :)

Im really only looking for accuracy not mega Fps.But i do know high helps

I'm buying off ehobby asia so i don't know witch is the best hop up and barrel units

Is deepfire any good for barrels?

you dont really need a hopup unit to be honest. you'll see more benefit from a hopup rubber and a nice barrel.
    Barrels,
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=barrel+&x=0&y=0&limit=all&manufacturer=347

they dont have the hopup rubbers in stock there.,

well i also will try almost all the iresh airsoft shops and redwolf airsoft

Are prometheus EG any good I'm looking at one in 550mm length 6.03mm diameter that should give good range

The barrel isn't what gives the range, it's the hop. A tightbore is designed for more accuracy, any boost in range is merely a by-product of the tighter tolerance increasing efficiency slightly and any gains will be marginal at best. If you're upgrading the barrel specifically for range, you're barking up the wrong tree. Range is the hop-up's job. To get more range, get the power up to a steady .9-.95 and then stick in a good quality, soft, hop rubber. You'll see a dramatic range increase that way.

Anyway, Prometheus barrels are also excellent. One of the best in fact. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement

No its not just for range i know how the hop up works the main reason i want the barrel is i want the full package not just range nor accuracy i just want the best my gun has to offer one of the main reasons i picked an M16 variant is because its easy to upgrade and get parts plus i know any Classic Army is a good brand to start with.And i didn't have the money at the time to get the SPR model.

Advertisement