Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Phone Security Check

• 24-08-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Got offered a good deal on a phone over the weekend but I was wondering if there is any way to check if the phone has been stolen? From Googling I can see they have CheckMEND in the UK but can't find anything similar for Ireland. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

PDD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Got offered a good deal on a phone over the weekend but I was wondering if there is any way to check if the phone has been stolen? From Googling I can see they have CheckMEND in the UK but can't find anything similar for Ireland. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

If a handset is reported stolen to any of the Irish networks, e.g. O2, O2 will communicate this to the other networks and ask them to bar the handset on their networks too. As such, you could attempt to contact your own mobile provider and ask them to check the IMEI of the handset in question.

Other than the above, I'm not aware of another way to check if a handset is barred on any of the Irish networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could request a receipt? Details on where / when it was purchased and do a little investigating yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@Rsaeire - Cheers for the feedback, I hadn't considered that coz the phone is unlocked so I thought no network would deal with me phoning as a non customer. Will try tomorrow though.

@Random - The guy says he's just back from a trip to China and he picked it up in Hong Kong on the way. I didn't think to ask him for a receipt for proof of purchase, usually I only think of that for warranties etc. Will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

Just to keep you up to date, I decided to buy the phone coz he has a receipt from one of the airport shops in English and Chinese so I'm gambling that its genuine. I would assume there is no point ringing any mobile service providers as its a foreign IMEI.

Dave

Advertisement