Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit retained

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Ok if anyone with experience can help me with this I would appreciate this as I don't know the legal requirement regarding same. Basically though I had 2 Spanish girls saying with me at the start of February. They paid cash and we had a rent agreement. At the start of July one of them said that the 6 months is up at the end of July and they intend to move out. All ok with me.

This was done verbally. At the end of July nothing was done and the girl who verbally gave her notice advised that she did not know what was going on and if they were moving out. Anyway in August they were still there. They did not pay me extra rent. On the 10th of August I got a text saying they were moving out the next day. I was very busy with my mum's funeral etc and did not get a chance to text them back till Thursday. On that day I got the response that one of the girls was in Spain but the other would meet me on Sunday. Sunday came and went and the girl did not come and get the rest of the deposit as agreed and exchange keys.

After that I did not contact them and changed the locks last Tuesday as is my right. On Saturday a week and a half after they moved out, I got a text saying they wanted the deposit back. I refused saying after ESB, gas, rent for 10 days in August, lock change and time they held onto my keys with no communication. I got a threatning call on Saturday evening from one of the girls Irish boyfriends and another one today from someone who starting saying I am a bullsh**er without saying who they were. I believe it is a friend and we found out it is a residential no. Am I within my rights to refuse to give back the deposit. After all if they want to play hardball I can say that they did not give another months notice as agreed in August? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to do it properly. Write them an e-mail / letter detailing each cost.

You can't charge for the change of locks.

Advertisement