Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any NUIM students living in non-student housing?

• 24-08-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Whats it like living in rented housing that wasn't intended for students?

I'm looking to rent a house for myself, a UCD student and 3 others who work full time. Do you know if there is much of a difference from student rented houses and normal rented houses? Ie landlord strictness etc.

Cheers for the help,
    in return, tots....

love_you_lots_full.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Difference is in the quality of the house. Clean, modern and will normally have full insulation. Landlords are all the same. Just say you are all working, they'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

theres a five bedroom gaf in moyglare village we were looking into, what are the houses there like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Was that on Daft.ie? I was looking at a place there, and they weren't too keen on having me, but the house was of a much cleaner standard. And from the sounds of it much quieter.
    House I have now is owner occupied so basically the same. Not fond of you having people over, or friends crash on your floor either. But that's no big loss really, you do have a clean, warm house rather then some of places around the town :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

theres a five bedroom gaf in moyglare village we were looking into, what are the houses there like?

Houses depend on the state the previous owner left them in decor wise

You can hear every sound from the next door house, so you will have neighbours complaining to you if you have radios on late at nite, parties etc

The residence committee will hound you with non stop letters to get the annual fees out of you

The kids are as f'in bold

Top end has a few houses of complete yobs & Paths tend to be covered in broken glass all the time but thats the top end around the entrance that's always manky with rubbish & crap & seems to be the worst part of the estate

So it's grand once you avoid the top part & if you go as far as you can back into it away from the green you will have great peace cos ya won't hear the kids going mad till all hours on the green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tijuana_Lady

Hiya,

I was in the same boat last year (moving from a student gaff to a private one) and I found that you tend to get a better deal if you go private (as a professional through Daft.ie or an estate agent) rather than as a student. For starters, the houses tend to be in better shape and the rent can be a good bit cheaper. Student housing can be over-priced and poor quality because there will always be a demand for it and if you don't take it someone else probably will. If you rent with professionals, private landlords are more likely to lease to you than they are to all students. Hope it works out for ya and that this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Ohhhh & I forgot Jesus Lovvvveesss You man lives in Moyglare Village haha

Rozabeez ..... you should stay with him, it would be very very educational!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I know the main thing for me, moving into a non-student house is the fact that all the people in your house will be tired when they come home from work, just sit there at the tele and will be up early so will go to bed early too...

This makes for wee little parties and fun times...
    There are of course "benefits" such as having a clean house, a nicer room and better tv, but i say "what's the point of all that?!". If you have no-one to share them with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Effluo wrote: »
    I know the main thing for me, moving into a non-student house is the fact that all the people in your house will be tired when they come home from work, just sit there at the tele and will be up early so will go to bed early too...

This makes for wee little parties and fun times...
    There are of course "benefits" such as having a clean house, a nicer room and better tv, but i say "what's the point of all that?!". If you have no-one to share them with...

Ah well my mates are always up for parties, I'm actually the oldest out of them by a couple of months.

Turns out the moyglare place is gone, just last night, bollocks, maybe i shouldnt have advertised it on this!

Advertisement