Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy wont walk

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

hi, i have a 4 month old golden lab who just will not go for a walk.
    she will walk around the garden on the lead but when we try to take her out the gate she just starts pullin back and wont go she pulls so hard im scared she'll choke. we have even tried driving to quieter places to take her walking but she just sits by the car then and wont move , she really needs the walk for exercise does anyone hav any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Firstly I'd get a harness, I think it'd be much better for you and her. She won't 'choke' herself if she pulls and you'll have more control over her without the hurt.
    I'd suggest, putting her on the lead, making it fun, you can bring her round the garden for a bit, then maybe out the gate just to next doors gate and back again, and lots of praise. Keep doing little trips like that with lots of praise and try and go a little further each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

If she likes other dogs you might also get someone else to have their happy dog on a leash; your puppy might learn that way as well :) I know my puppy would do anything to get at another dog to play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Do you bring Dog treats with you when you go for a walk . Put them in your pocket and let the dog know you have them . When you dog walks with you give it a treat and praise the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

ive been walking her round garden trying the little bit at a time approach but when i try go outside she jus pulls back, ive tried treats and toys nothing seems to work with her....... i hav yet to try her with another dog but willin to try anythin now cos even tho we hav a huge garden she bored and needs the walks and i cant keep circling the house:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

where are you based?

• Advertisement

were in offaly just on north tipp border

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

+1 on the harness, they are much better.

I had the same problem, when she was a pup she would just sit down and refuse to move but, it was to certain places she didn't want to go not just outside the gate. Luckily she was a small dog so she was easy to manage. The owners used to pick her up and keep walking but I didn't think that would have done anything good, what I did and eventually it did work is I just kept on going after a few paces she would be fine and be giving everything a sniff. I had to do this for a few weeks before she learned that we were walking where I wanted to go and not where she wanted to go.

Now I can even walk her off the lead but I wouldn't try to that if there were cars near, just places like the woods and lake.

thanks for all the advice will definately try a harness and hope that works out for me if not it looks like ill be looking for a dog buddy to take her walking with:D

Advertisement