Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

golf brake problem

• 24-08-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi lads.

i replaced the front pads on the mrs golf on saturday and today an abs warning light has came on she just rang me and said there is a grinding noise and its very jumpy.

any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi lads.

i replaced the front pads on the mrs golf on saturday and today an abs warning light has came on she just rang me and said there is a grinding noise and its very jumpy.

any ideas

Yes actually,
    You made a boo boo of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

cheers for that lad great advice.

considering it was driving up and back from belfast on sunday and warning only came on this evening i was looking for some proper advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

grit on the pads could explain the noise??

No idea about the abs light though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

cheers for that lad great advice.

considering it was driving up and back from belfast on sunday and warning only came on this evening i was looking for some proper advice

Proper advice=don't fiddle with cars country boyyyyyy
    ye haaaaaaaaa!!!!!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    Yes actually,
    You made a boo boo of it.
    TirNaNog. wrote: »
    Proper advice=don't fiddle with cars country boyyyyyy
    ye haaaaaaaaa!!!!!!11

Infracted.

There's no need for that carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Have a look and check for anything obvious. Check fluid levels also. Then check if in fact the ABS is operational. Just stick her to the ground and see if the wheels lock up. If they do, then you will most likely have to go to a garage. The ABS light came on in mine but it was still under warranty. They kept it for 2 days! Not sure what the bill would have been!

TirNaNog, be constructive or don't post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Delta Kilo wrote: »

TirNaNog, be constructive or don't post at all.

Delta it's been dealt with by a moderator. Back seat moderating is against the forum charter

thx lads.

i just drove it there and lights came of mrs said there was abs light and a skid warning light contasntly on. i presume this is the asr light

totally stumped

i take it u mean by stick it to the ground jam on the breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Your problem is with one or both of the ABS sensors on the wheels.
    When changing the pads you may have disturbed one or both.
    Alternativly there may be a bit of dirt obstructing the sensor.
    The symptoms your wife described should only last for a couple of seconds and then the ABS warning light comes on. The noise and juddering should then disappear as the ABS is no longer working. Your car should be OK to drive as the normal braking system should be operative.
    If the noise does not disappear the there is a problem and the car should not be driven.
    Try jacking up the car and cleaning around the sensors with a stiff tootbrush.
    If you knew someone with a code reader they could identify if one or both sensors are not functioning
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well if you changed the pads, you should be able to dive in again and see if there is anything obvious wrong. Sounds like something have broken or come loose and causes the brakes to rub somewhere and maybe moved the abs sensor or covered it in metal filings from the grinding

• Advertisement

cheers lad I appreciate this. going for a drive to lidl now and see how she feels then I shall check the brake pad wire that plugged into the underneath of wheel arch and see if thats anything. is this what u mean by the abs sensor or is that something different.

I did get 4 new tyres fitted in a garage on sat so could be anything. good to hear its nothing to bad tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A bit of brake cleaner would sort this out. There probably are some metal filings too I had the exact same trouble.

ok lads i checed the sensors everything is A1.

When we came out of lidl the handbrake light was flashing abs was on and the asr was on.
    Car jumped like it was struggling to take off.

turned of the car restarted and everything fine for 5 mins lights came on but no juddering.

I disconnected the brake sensors and a different error came up on the dash so its nothing to do with that and thats all I replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Did you get it tracked when you got the new tyres fitted? I remember on my old A4 I had a job done on the steering rack and until I got it tracked the ESP waring light was flashing randomly.
    I'd say you may have damaged one of the ABS Sensors.It's not a big job to replace one if you know what one it is.......
    Anyone with VAGCOM should be able to detect this for you.

didnt get them tracked just balanced.

the only thing I went near was disconneting the brake pad sensor on the front left and nothing else

theres only 1 sensor and its on the front left i did replace both front pads but wiring wise only front left has a sensor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP I suggest you take the car to a mechanic. It might be an unrelated problem, but whatever it is, ask the mechanic to tell you what went wrong. The car can't be reliably driven in that condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

didnt get them tracked just balanced.

the only thing I went near was disconneting the brake pad sensor on the front left and nothing else

Is it a Mark IV Golf? If so there is more than one ABS sensor on that car.I replaced the rear left one on my 99 MKIV GTI recently

hey lad its the V model. Ill be bringing it into the garage tomorrow but I was hoping I wouldnt have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

I would say its you acc pedal. Very common on these.
    It does not bring on your eml but your asr/ tracton control and abs light and loss of power. The abs cant read the fault code from the engine control unit and it comes up unsupported error and hence the lights. After a while the eml will come on.
    When you reset your ignition it resets the ecu out of limp mode until failure happens ago.
    The ecu reads both the tracks on the pedal and if one is out of sync then you get your problem.
    Def noting to do with you changing your pads.

Hope this helps

D

• Advertisement

Hi d any idea on how to fix it and would it b expensive from wat I read in other sites ppl are pointing to abs sensor

and the problem was the back right speed sensor had sporadic faults

Advertisement