Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network configuration

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:32pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of changing to UPC for broadband Wondering will this configuration work.
    Blue= UPC Modem
    Black= Belkin Network sockets across the mains
    Yellow= Network patch cables
    Red= Existing belkin router
    Green= NTL Cable in
    Purple= other PC/network devices

Any advice appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

looks fine in principle except for the network point across the mains at the bottom left. Is that going to the belkin or to the upc modem directly? Belkin would be preferable...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for the reply Dardania.
    The belkin adapters are these
    http://au.shopping.com/xPO-Belkin-Belkin-Powerline-200Mbps-AV-Starter-Kit-F5D4074AU
    I have 2 at the moment, but i get the impression you can add more individually rather than in pairs. Is this the case or do I need 4 . If so then I need bigger than a 4 way router.
    What if any speed would I expect to lose on this config compared to wireless & wireless extenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

From reading the manual at:
    http://www.belkin.com/au/support/article/?lid=ena&pid=F5D4074au&aid=14987&scid=0

it doesn't look like there's much to do RE separate networks etc...

what you could do is rely on your UPC cisco modem to do DHCP / internet gateway duties (instead of the belkin) and have your belkin wifi router act as a simple bridge to the UPC Cisco. In which case you should be okay.

what model is your belkin router? Is there a simple bridge config option for it (I think I saw one before that you could set it to act as a simple access point rather than a router...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

its this one.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=299342
    I may look at replacing it with a dedicated router . Linked to UPC via the mains with their 20 meg service I wouldn't be too worried about speed loss.
    Thanks for your input Dardania,

Over a year later , I know.:)
    I am finally getting around to this ,this week.
    The Belkin Network adapter on the left hand side is going into an Alarm panel which has port 443 forwarded to it. With this configuration will incoming traffic not come to that device before the Belkin router?

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested , got UPC 30 meg BB installed yesterday.
    The above configuration works perfectly.
    Configuring UPCs Cisco modem was the hard part..:eek:

Advertisement