Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the heiniken letters on that building...

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I'm actually not too sure what the official name of the building is, but you all know which one I'm talking about (the massive office block thing on the south of O'Connell bridge).

Well, 2 weeks ago I noticed the "h" of the word "heiniken" was missing & last weekend I noticed the whole sign was gone!:eek:

Anyone know what the story is about this?
    Thanks in advance :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it was purely commercial advertising and the contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Ahh, that's a shame, it's just I've got a friend coming over soon (who isn't Irish) & he said it sounded like something to see...Looking back, I guess it did look cool at night...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Jay1989 wrote: »
    I'm actually not too sure what the official name of the building is, but you all know which one I'm talking about (the massive office block thing on the south of O'Connell bridge).

Well, 2 weeks ago I noticed the "h" of the word "heiniken" was missing & last weekend I noticed the whole sign was gone!:eek:

Anyone know what the story is about this?
    Thanks in advance :pac:

I heard they got reposessed as they couldnt keep up with the payments :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

That's been on that building as long as I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Didn't it used to say "Guinness" at one stage, or am I going mad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Didn't it used to say "Guinness" at one stage, or am I going mad?

Harp also

Tis the Harp Building afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And Sony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its called o connell bridge house

oconnell_bridge_house_lge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Aww, I once spent 5 hours staring at those letters.

(New in Dublin, waiting for a train, was more staring at the clock than the letters but at times my eyes wandered down.)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

What would be a good logo, brand or word to put in its place ?

"EYESORE" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i remember it being guinness back years ago.i wonder what will replace heineken?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

I know the perfect company name to replace it, a name that will be spoken about none stop from the next budget on N.A.M.A. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's just an advertising deal I presume that's run out. John Byrne owns the building and he's mega secretive so we'll only find out who's replacing Heineken when the new letters go up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

D
    U
    T
    C
    H
    G
    O
    L
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ha! That would be good though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Relevant wrote: »
    D
    U
    T
    C
    H
    G
    O
    L
    D

Genius and very appropriate given proximity to boardwalk and the sorts that frequent that particular vicinity. Sales of 'Dutch' in local off licences would surely at least treble overnight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ive heard that a big screen may be going in the area. Apparently it will post up text messages or something like that. Sounds like a Daft idea. I dont know if it will be on that building though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

dats_right wrote: »
    Genius and very appropriate given proximity to boardwalk and the sorts that frequent that particular vicinity. Sales of 'Dutch' in local off licences would surely at least treble overnight!!
    In that case, shouldn't it be

H
    E
    R
    O
    I
    N

?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

O connell bridge house is the WORST building in Dublin city centre, inside and out. It needs to be obliterated and replaced with a high rise.

Nah, surely Hawkins House claims that honour.

hawkins_house_lge.jpg

although it is next door to appollo house which can't help either as it's another eyesore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dancor wrote: »
    Ive heard that a big screen may be going in the area. Apparently it will post up text messages or something like that. Sounds like a Daft idea. I dont know if it will be on that building though.

Thats on liberty hall, not this building.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Onkle wrote: »
    That's been on that building as long as I can remember
    It was SONY for many years. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

HARP too IIRC.
    Designed by G. Fitzgerald's brother I think too. Awful but not the worst...that's be that Ulster bank abortion on City Qy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It was SONY for many years. ;)

You are clearly too old to own a computer please desist from posting

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

humberklog wrote: »
    HARP too IIRC.
    Designed by G. Fitzgerald's brother I think too. Awful but not the worst...that's be that Ulster bank abortion on City Qy.

It was Tennants too at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

Best thing to do with it until it's hopefully inevitable eventual demolition is to paper it in LCD screens and make it a sort of Piccadilly Circus:

Piccadilly%20Circus.jpg

Not ideal I know but anything to cover up that horrible facade and those yucky windows..

I means seriously, how is OCB House not the top piece of land in all of Dublin?

My fantasy ->

Something like Foster's 30 St Mary Axe but thinner and straight and with a roof mimicking the roof of the tower at Dublin Castle:

8swissre.jpg + dublin-castle.jpg

Could be the seat of the new Mayoral role.

But meh no monies anymore :( God damn ABP and their anti-scraper ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I remember there being a led type big screen display showing ads on a building facing it but on the opposit side of the quays?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Perhaps slightly outside the city centre, but i think the US and UK embassys in ballsbridge should share the honnor of worse designed and most "sticking out like a sore thumb award"

• Registered Users Posts: 22 2468

dats_right wrote: »

a bit of a general statement to make don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

2468 wrote: »
    a bit of a general statement to make don't you think?
    Take a walk on the Boardwalk between OCB and Tara St bridge and you'll understand...

Advertisement