Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teething

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

How soon would a child usually start teething does anyone know from experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Anything from two months to a year in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi op i have known of kids who started teething from the time they're born!
    And some even being born with a tooth or two :eek:
    My lo is 10 months old and she cut her first tooth yesterday. We went through months of red cheeks, nappy rash and swollen gums. Poor babs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I carted my little lady off to the doctor with what I thought was an ear infection (rosy cheeks, pulling at ears, elevated temp, temperament of minor demon!) at only 8 weeks only to be told she was teething! I had no idea they could start that young. She cut her first two teeth by 14 weeks. I discovered Teetha gel and granules were brilliant and we still use the granules which she looks for now at 16 months when she is teething! She gets them two and four at a time and even though it is hard on her at least she is getting it over with. She also gets a really freaky cough every time she is teething which I also had never come across before but apparently is quite common. Lately her balance goes out the window if she is cutting a tooth so she falls alot. Also par for the course I am told.

Hi targetwidow.. 14 weeks wow that's early! How many teeth has she got now?
    As i said in my post my little one got her first tooth on sunday and she's 10 months old, it thought she was destined to stay toothless... She woke at 5am sunday morning giving out a bit so i just gave her back her soother. We got up few hours later and there was the tip of the tooth :D Very proud mammy here! I thought she's be in a terrible state for a few day's before the first one popped out. Hopefully now she'll sail through the rest :rolleyes: I find the teetha products great i much prefer to give this rather than nurofen or calpol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

everyone told me my first was teething from about 3 months... no tooth til her first birthday! She got 3 in one week then :( She got all the teething symptoms you hear about and more. People used to laugh when I said I had 3 days off work for every tooth but it was true.
    Second had one restless night before every tooth (first tooth at 10 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 itz me

my baby nephew has 2 teeth and more on the way and he is only 4 months!!!! He started teething about a month before he got them

lalalulu wrote: »
    Hi targetwidow.. 14 weeks wow that's early! How many teeth has she got now?
    As i said in my post my little one got her first tooth on sunday and she's 10 months old, it thought she was destined to stay toothless... She woke at 5am sunday morning giving out a bit so i just gave her back her soother. We got up few hours later and there was the tip of the tooth :D Very proud mammy here! I thought she's be in a terrible state for a few day's before the first one popped out. Hopefully now she'll sail through the rest :rolleyes: I find the teetha products great i much prefer to give this rather than nurofen or calpol.

I'm chuckling here to myself wondering how many teeth she now has. I haven't been brave enough to risk being severely bitten and then laughed at (and we are trying hard to discourage her!) so I think she only has 3 or 4 more to go as far as I know. She got them in twos and threes always, the bottom front two, then the top two then the top fangs then the bottom and thats when the biting became an issue and we could only guess from there!:D

Aren't the dodies a blessing?! I was one of those alpha-mammies in the hospital saying "oh mine will never be given one of those horrible things", but when the breastfeeding went so horribly wrong for us it was the only thing that gave her any comfort and I was shocked to have a mid-wife recommend it to me hearing for the first time about the concept of a particularly "sucky baby"! She loved it so much I thought there would be WW3 getting rid of it. But since she called it "neh" from the very early days we had a rule that she could have it as long as she asked for it. She started forgetting to ask for it every 2nd night at around a year and we left it be. Then when she hadn't asked for it in two or three nights we just dumped them and she cried that night for a few minutes and decided it wasn't worth the hassle and went to sleep. The things they don't tell us in those ante-natal classes eh?! The best news is that despite all the horror stories as to how sick they might seem when teething, in my case anyway she got better at coping with it after the first two and the demon temper didn't make a reappearance with teething again (Thankfully!)

If she has a teething cough she tends to have very disturbed sleep with the tooth coming through and the coughing so a pharmacist advised me to give her a teaspoon of the all new Dozol (check with your doc or pharmacist regarding suitable age as I can't remember when it was) at bedtime. Apart from the same paracetamol as is in Calpol it also contains a sedating antihistamine which causes drowsiness and drys up a runny nose and even though it doesn't claim to, in our house it suppresses her teething cough. Which all in all means she sleeps better and that means better form. Obviously it's not something we would use often, maybe for one or two nights at the height of the teething each time. She sticks her tongue out if she sees the Teetha granules coming out of the medicine cupboard!

Aren't the dodies a blessing?! I was one of those alpha-mammies in the hospital saying "oh mine will never be given one of those horrible things", but when the breastfeeding went so horribly wrong for us it was the only thing that gave her any comfort and I was shocked to have a mid-wife recommend it to me hearing for the first time about the concept of a particularly "sucky baby"! She loved it so much I thought there would be WW3 getting rid of it. But since she called it "neh" from the very early days we had a rule that she could have it as long as she asked for it. She started forgetting to ask for it every 2nd night at around a year and we left it be. Then when she hadn't asked for it in two or three nights we just dumped them and she cried that night for a few minutes and decided it wasn't worth the hassle and went to sleep. The things they don't tell us in those ante-natal classes eh?! The best news is that despite all the horror stories as to how sick they might seem when teething, in my case anyway she got better at coping with it after the first two and the demon temper didn't make a reappearance with teething again (Thankfully!)

If she has a teething cough she tends to have very disturbed sleep with the tooth coming through and the coughing so a pharmacist advised me to give her a teaspoon of the all new Dozol (check with your doc or pharmacist regarding suitable age as I can't remember when it was) at bedtime. Apart from the same paracetamol as is in Calpol it also contains a sedating antihistamine which causes drowsiness and drys up a runny nose and even though it doesn't claim to, in our house it suppresses her teething cough. Which all in all means she sleeps better and that means better form. Obviously it's not something we would use often, maybe for one or two nights at the height of the teething each time. She sticks her tongue out if she sees the Teetha granules coming out of the medicine cupboard!

Yeah i was exactly the same i said 'noway will i give my baby a soother' but in the hospital babs was constantly looking for a bottle and then throwing up, obviously because i was over feeding her. The nurse came to me and quietly suggested i give her a soother as she was a 'sucky baby' :P
    coincidence eh?
    We had an awful night with babs last night she was awake from 4am but not screaming kind of whimpering, shaking and she had two big red cheeks. Would you believe it was the one night i couldn't find the damn nurofen :mad:

Also there seems to be a major debate going on over dozol, teetax (not sure if that's how it's spelt) because the age has been raised on the bottle saying that it's now not suitable for under two's.

Funny you should say that lalalulu I just went into the cupboard to look it up myself today and couldn't find a bottle so looked it up on the web and saw the new 2 yr age! :eek: I'm certain that wasn't the age before but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Must see if there is any old stock at the pharmacy and have a look at the packaging. I wonder why the change or are they just being cautious?:confused: She won't get another drop of it until April in the meantime when she turns 2. Shame cos it really did the trick but safety first.

Hi TargetWidow.. I heard they raised the age on dozol a few month's back as a parent in the us (i think) accidently overdosed their child. They haven't changed any of the ingredients and they haven't discovered something new about it that effect's younger children. It's the same just the age change. I am not giving medical advice but everything in moderation as long as it's safe so i think use it only when it's really needed as i'm sure all parent's do. I will use it when my little one turn's 1, if she is in a bad way with teething or a cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

My little girl has been teething for the past 6 weeks now (she's 5 months old on saturday) and her first tooth broke through the other day. We knew as she was sitting on my lap at the table, chewing on the edge of my plate, and then we heard a gentle *tink* *tink* *tink* and lo and behold a little white speck on her lower right

Advertisement