Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Harney Seeks Total Ban on Sunbeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

From reading the first page of this thread it's clear to me that some people will just criticise goverment decisions for the sake of it. Would you prefer if these cancer beds stayed around? Suppose you'd prefer that. They're a waste of time, the tan they give people make them like mangey and they increase one's risk for skin cancer exponentially. Applaud Harney for making a good decision, hopefully they will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

walshb wrote: »
    Hey, while Mrs. Harney is at it, why doesn't she also ban junk food like Mackers
    or Burger King, and even go a step further, and ban a minister for health who isn't exactly leading by example. I do not mean to be cruel and I would never insult a person because of their weight, but she is the Minister for Health in Ireland and obesity is a major major health issue. She has a damn cheek to be trying to ban sun beds based on health when she herself is far from setting a good example as regards obesity.

iv asthma does that mean i should never be minister for health because im not perfectly healthy?? :rolleyes:

sunbeds are retarded wouldnt mind to see them banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Dudess wrote: »
    I used a sunbed once - it made me a bit pink. :(

How many minutes did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hagar wrote: »
    It's not her ability that doubt, well yes it is, but her credibility. If I turned up to my doc with chest pains at her weight I would be ridiculed and probably put down the waiting list in favour of people who were obviously trying to take care of their health. She is a mirror image of our health system, bloated, un-fit for it's job, ready to keel over at any minute.

If my fitness instructor was obese, it would be different. I'm directly taking advice on my fitness from them.

Would you refuse to be treated by a fat doctor?

Harney's brief is of the pen-pushing variety. I would rather she was a good minister than to hear that she was running the marathon.

She should lose weight obviously, but I think a lot of factors - her politics, her perceived unattractiveness and being a woman - mean she is more likely to be questioned in whatever she does.
    Should have though, shouldn't it?

Of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wertz wrote: »
    That's exactly why we're such a risk...we're genetically fair to pale and see little naturally strong sunlight for 8+ months of the year.
    Add into the mix a lot of vain people who are brainwashed into thinking a tan is healthy and attractive, who go out and overuse sunbeds with little awarness of the risk involved...
    thats the thing - it is healthy, and it is attractive. Yeah you can overdo both.

Regulate it maybe. Have a dermatologist prescribe the right amount of exposure or something. but banning it is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Not healthy and whether it's attractive or not is a question preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jumpguy wrote: »
    From reading the first page of this thread it's clear to me that some people will just criticise goverment decisions for the sake of it. Would you prefer if these cancer beds stayed around? Suppose you'd prefer that. They're a waste of time, the tan they give people make them like mangey and they increase one's risk for skin cancer exponentially. Applaud Harney for making a good decision, hopefully they will be banned.

Everyone knows they're dangerous. It's more about having the right to use one just taken away in a snap decision

What if she banned alcohol? There'd be few saying it's a good idea then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

stovelid wrote: »
    Harney's weight is irrelevant to her job which is basically an administrative role when you think about it.

Having a less-than-white financial background hasn't disqualified people from the Finance post, has it?

Fair enough if she was a fitness instructor or PE teacher though.

Well, the Health portfolio is dealing with peoples lives, immediate lives and
    she should be setting an example. It is not good enough to just say that
    it is an administrative role and that is it. If she was a potent smoker and lecturing
    others on cancer and causes of cancer, I too would see a problem.

As for other portfolios, if my minister for Finance was found to be in debt and addicted to credit cards and dodgy investments, then yes, I would question his position and influence.

Whether we like it or not, these people are in positions of influence and authority.
    They are not the normal joe soap and in not being the normal joe, they cannot
    expect to go unquestioned when they make decisions.

Okay, I go to a gym, I expect my fitness instructor to lead by example.
    I expect my politicians to also lead by example.

She is far from leading by example and if she wants to be lecturing
    Joe Public on health issues, then she should be made exaplain her
    issues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As for other portfolios, if my minister for Finance was found to be in debt and addicted to credit cards and dodgy investments, then yes, I would question his position and influence.

Not in Ireland.

You just become Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...What if she banned alcohol? There'd be few saying it's a good idea then

NOT including her! Thats all I can say on that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The US Public Health Service states that UV radiation, including the use of sun lamps and sun beds are "known to be a human carcinogen [=cancer causing agent]." It further states that the risk of developing cancer in the years after exposure is greatest in people under 30 years old. There is persuasive evidence that each of the three main types of skin cancer, basal cell carcinoma (BCC), squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and melanoma, is caused by sun exposure. Women who visited a tanning parlor at least once a month were 55% more likely to later develop melanoma than women who didn't artificially suntan. Young women who used sun lamps for tanning while in their 20s had the largest increase in subsequent cancer risk -- about 150% higher than similar women who did not use tanning beds.

On that research, maybe it's not a bad idea to ban them..

aDeener wrote: »
    iv asthma does that mean i should never be minister for health because im not perfectly healthy?? :rolleyes:

sunbeds are retarded wouldnt mind to see them banned

See, there is a difference here big time and I was going to point that out.
    Harney is an image of unhealthy, an image....

That is far from inspiring. I am not asking for my Minister to be
    100 percent perfect, that is not possible, but she is takin' the piss..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Everyone knows they're dangerous. It's more about having the right to use one just taken away in a snap decision

What if she banned alcohol? There'd be few saying it's a good idea then
    That's different, we all know alcohol won't be banned because it brings in too much revenue. And it's not a "snap decision". She is SEEKING a total ban on sunbeds. They are still legal at the moment, such a decision will have to go through the Dáil I'd imagine.

If anybody wants to have a rational discussion on the banning of sunbeds without the mary harney bashing (and I'm by no means a fan of hers) we can do it in Biology/Medicine forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Overheal wrote: »
    thats the thing - it is healthy, and it is attractive. Yeah you can overdo both.

Regulate it maybe. Have a dermatologist prescribe the right amount of exposure or something. but banning it is silly.

The health aspect is over played...vitamin D production notwithstanding, an abundance of melanin in the system hasn't that many health benefits, and any it might have would be far outweighed by free radical production and genetic damage.
    It's only attractive in modern times based around the hollywood fantasy...100 years ago people thought that pale skin and a litttle tubbiness was akin to aphrodite...

I agree though...regulation would be a far better way to go, but like everything else in this country banning things looks better and saves all that messing about with actually ...you know...regulating things.

Interesting article I heard on this issue a few weeks back cited the australian example...over there doctors tell people they're better off using sunbeds (regulated I believe) rather than prolinged sunbathing due to the southern ozone hole...

• Advertisement

See, there is a difference here big time and I was going to point that out.
    Harney is an image of unhealthy, an image....

That is far from inspiring. I am not asking for my Minister to be
    100 percent perfect, that is not possible, but she is takin' the piss..

would i not be an image of unhealthy with an inhaler in my mouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

bleg wrote: »
    If anybody wants to have a rational discussion on the banning of sunbeds without the mary harney bashing (and I'm by no means a fan of hers) we can do it in Biology/Medicine forum

No Forum pimping please, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

if they ban the sunbed salons then people will buy their own. they won't know how to maintain them or use them correctly and end up increasing the risk of ruining their skin or getting skin cancer

would i not be an image of unhealthy with an inhaler in my mouth?

Whilst doing interviews and appearing on tv, yes, I suppose you would!

BTW, isn't asthma something that cannot be cured and a condition you are born with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

newname wrote: »
    if they ban the sunbed salons then people will buy their own. they won't know how to maintain them or use them correctly and end up increasing the risk of ruining their skin or getting skin cancer
    I think banning something means it would be made illegal.

• Advertisement

bleg wrote: »

Besides the health issues and the bashing, there is revenue issues, unemployment issues, business issues, etc.
    Talk about the health aspects there is ok but to cover the whole subject is like Harney - a whole BIG issue!
    (sorry - couldn't resist!)

No Forum pimping please, thank you.

Sorry, didn't mean it!

The country is on it's knees and the Govt is worried about the plebs using sunbeds while they jet set around...

John 11:35

The more I think about it the more ridiculous it becomes.
    Where do they draw the line? Ban junk food, cigarettes, alcohol,
    coffee, red meat, salt on food, full fat butter and milk etc:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jumpguy wrote: »
    That's different, we all know alcohol won't be banned because it brings in too much revenue. And it's not a "snap decision". She is SEEKING a total ban on sunbeds. They are still legal at the moment, such a decision will have to go through the Dáil I'd imagine.

The same way she sought a ban on Psilocybin mushrooms after 1 guy died, it was passed a couple of weeks later.

There's been a bit of Irish media attention in the last couple of weeks about sunbeds, it wouldn't surprise me if this law was passed sooner rather than later.

They could have a tax levy on the use of sunbeds in salons in order to cover medical costs in treating skin cancer if they were worried about that, and ban the sale of machines to the public.

It just seems very reactionary to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

government plan
    Step 1 . pick something loads of people use
    Step 2 . pretend we are goin to ban it
    Step 3. Stick a tax or excise on it and the people will be happy they get to keep it.
    Step 4. money rolls in .

Whilst doing interviews and appearing on tv, yes, I suppose you would!

BTW, isn't asthma something that cannot be cured and a condition you are born with?

nope it can be developed during life but i was born with it, cant be cured afaik:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

So she shouldn't do her job because she's fat and it would look hypocritical?
    Yeah...kinda like having a financially corrupt Minister for Finance...oh wait...

The same way she sought a ban on Psilocybin mushrooms after 1 guy died, it was passed a couple of weeks later.
    It just seems very reactionary to me
    Very, I like to call it rule by the Joe Duffy show.

If yer man was so smart and thought he could fly, why didn't he try taking off from the ground first?

We should tax stupidity in this country...the government coffers would be overflowing.

nope it can be developed during life but i was born with it, cant be cured afaik:(

Okey doke, but managed and treated it can be, with your will to succeed too.
    Obesity is manageable and beatable, asthma is not beatable.

Harney as the senior Health official in this country should be leading
    by example and IMO, her weight is an issue that should not be simply
    dismissed. There are so many people whom she influences and I bet it's the whole, "If
    our own bloody minister doesn't seem to care, why should I." And you can't blame them.

It also applies to other positions too....

If she was a heavy smoker or alcoholic, then this too would be an issue.
    Just because she may be a heavy smoker, doesn't mean she
    cannot do the job, but it's not JUST about doing the job here; it is also
    about setting an example and portraying an image that others can
    aspire to. This too is all part of her job and position and authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah...kinda like having a financially corrupt Minister for Finance...oh wait...
    I don't think that's comparing like with like though. Mary Harney's obesity won't have the same kind of far-reaching consequences for the Irish public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

To be honest, I agree with her, they are so dangerous and maybe then it will make people realise how dangerous they are. I would never dream of using one. I value my life too much.

As for the comments on her weight, grow up and leave her alone. Picking on someone for their weight is immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Mary Harney is fat.

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

If you had a stressful job like her I'm sure you'd do a bit of comfort eating too.

Fair play Mary we're just joshing with you, we know this sort of stuff happens every day...

I hope there's no naughty bits. It says edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I actually for once agree with her, but before they can ban them they should do something about the fu^king weather.

Fair play Mary we're just joshing with you, we know this sort of stuff happens every day...

I hope there's no naughty bits. It says edited.

What's the point of that scene (and whole movie for that matter) if the best tits bits are cut out?

angel01 wrote: »
    To be honest, I agree with her, they are so dangerous and maybe then it will make people realise how dangerous they are. I would never dream of using one. I value my life too much.

As for the comments on her weight, grow up and leave her alone. Picking on someone for their weight is immature.

Who is picking one her. He weight is her business and I am not trying to be hurtful or cruel, but Harney is the Health Minister and obesity is a serious issue and she is the ONE person who one would expect to be leading by example. She is simply not an inspiration at all at all. Her job is not just in the office, it's on the screens too and whether one likes it or not, image is part of the game, in other jobs too...

Hey, I walk into a restaurant and want to be fed, do you think I would be happy if
    some scruffy unkempt person met me and asked me for my order?

I actually for once agree with her, but before they can ban them they should do something about the fu^king weather.

You mean like "weather or not the people like it - stuff them - we're going to do it anyway!"
    Nothing new there then, they are carrying on as useless usual!

• Advertisement

I don't think that's comparing like with like though. Mary Harney's obesity won't have the same kind of far-reaching consequences for the Irish public.
    It's not. What's knocking off a few bespoke Charvet shirts compared with the train wreck that is being at at an EU conference, being introduced as the Irish Minister for Health, then waddling your morbidly-obese self forth from dias to podium and then expecting the great and good of Europe's politicians to take anything that comes from your wobbling jowls seriously.

All that aside, check out the serious amount of cosmetic dental work she's had done in the states in the last ten years. It's all on public record, if you care to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

The only reason she wants to ban sunbeds is that she exceeds the maximum weight limit and does not want to pick broken glass out of her wattles.
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

laugh wrote: »
    If they ban them, I'm gonna:

1. Secretly install many of them in my attic.
    hmm good excuse for all those lights in my attic.
    if they ban the sunbed salons then people will buy their own. they won't know how to maintain them or use them correctly and end up increasing the risk of ruining their skin or getting skin cance
    I think banning something means it would be made illegal.
    This was on TV3 a week or so ago, and they were talking of banning just salons, they might ban the sale again but it seemed like people who had them could still use them

The same way she sought a ban on Psilocybin mushrooms after 1 guy died, it was passed a couple of weeks later
    A guy who was drinking, which is of course ignored since alcohol is harmless :rolleyes: alcohol has a huge roll in many suicides.

If people "overdo" sunbeds they can get cancer, same goes for toasters, burnt toast is said to give you cancer, you could probably list off loads of devices that could be banned under the same logic.

And what about pointless super-low protection sunscreen.

How about enforcing proper regulation of the "beauty" industry to make sure sunbeds and their users are properly monitored and only get so many minutes per week.

That way peoples jobs could be maintained, and an "industry" continues to generate revenue, thus generating taxes, thus contributing to paying for things like the extra seat required for her fat ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Ban sunbeds. Ban cigarettes. Ban alcohol. Ban coffee. Ban it all.

guess what.........

We're still going to die.

And probably not live any longer because everyone's so fúcking miserable.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

How immensely strange that this announcement should come on the day of a global cancer summit :rolleyes:

Harney wants this to overshadow her bad image - something she can be remembered by that wasn't negative.

Now, how long have we been hearing about sunbeds being cancer causing? Why didn't she move on this sooner??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

This proposition is silly and short sighted. We live at a latitude where UV levels are extremely low for most of the year.

Ingested Vitamin D cannot be considered a fully satisfactory replacement for UVB exposure.

I tell you what, I want to ban sugar as it feeds cancer growths and makes people like Mary FAT/diabetic due to excessive insulin production!
    But I also want free choice so would not pursue such ludicracy.

This article here is a good alternative view on sunbeds. Whilst excessive sunbed use, in addition to natural sun exposure is undoubtedly bad for ones skin, grown adults should be allowed to experience the benefits of moderate UV exposure.

Mercola states regarding the recent study on tanning beds: "However, they failed to EVER mention how UVB exposure is HEALTHY by stimulating the production of vitamin D, which regulates 2-3,000 genes and decreases cancers overall by 50-60 percent.
    So, while it is true that excessive UVB exposure will increase the risk of skin cancer and result in some loss of lives, it is even more relevant for health and longevity to understand that inappropriate avoidance of the sun will result in depressed vitamin D levels, which will result in far more deaths. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I dont give a sh*t about sunbeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

jd83 wrote: »
    Shes just jealous because she cant find a sunbed big enough to take her.

was just about 2 say that:D

Emerson wrote: »
    This proposition is silly and short sighted. We live at a latitude where UV levels are extremely low for most of the year.

Ingested Vitamin D cannot be considered a fully satisfactory replacement for UVB exposure.

That is absolute bollox.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The problem if they ban them is that there are plenty of them in backrooms of hairdressers and the like. They'd have no way of getting rid of them.

What they need to do first is get a register going of everywhere that has them, and how many machines/what type there are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement