Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 simple questions...

• 24-08-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey:), as the headline says I've got 3 simple quetions...

How do you say "I need a taxi"

& how do you also say as Gaeilge "welcome to my profile", (as in a myspace/facebook profile) all I've got so far is "Fáilte go mo..." & then when I looked in my dictionary for "profile", there were loads of words & I got confused:D

Finally, are there any books or something that focus on specific dialects? It's just my family come from Munster, so it seems to make sense to learn some of that dialect...I keep bumping into the Ulster one for some reason:pac:

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

You could say "Fáilte go dtí mo leathanach bebo/facebook"? As in welcome to my page? dunno if it's gramatically correct though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amaral

Tá tacsaí ag teastáil uaim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

Ta taxi uaim.
    Failte chuig mo phrofile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Tá tascaí uaim

Teastaíonn tascaí uaim

Tá gá agam le tascaí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

In answer to your Munster dialect question Jay, I got recommended 'An Béal Beo' here a while back which has a separate book for each of the dialects so no doubt Munster is there! I'm only getting round to ordering it tomorrow so I can't tell you what level it's at - but it's specific to the dialects anyway so even if it is a little too hard for a little while it could be something to be working towards.

Yea the Ulster dialect is well covered ain't it- BBC have a learning site based on that dialect, the abair trinity thing is Ulster, etc. so there is a new generation of Ulster speakers being born every day!! :)

Munster-wise keep a listen out to news and radio specifically with those speakers, e.g. Seo Spóirt on Friday nights on TG4 hosted by Dara O'Cinnéide.. Páidí O Lionáird and Dáithí Ó Sé are also munster speakers (Paidi is Cork and Daithi is Kerry as far as I know). There are lots of Munster speakers on RnaG too just to dig them out. I'm learning Conamara and Mayo dialects so I can't offer you much help apart from that.

Oh yea, have you decided whether it's Cork or Kerry dialect you're going for?
    I think it's brilliant you're already thinking along the lines of dialect by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Hey thanks so much for the tips!!! really helpful stuff!:pac: have you been able to get a feel for an beal beo yet?

Well, my whole family come from Kerry, so then it's that dialect I guess:) (my brother & I are actually the first Dubs in our fanily, which of course leads to constant slagging when it comes to GAA:rolleyes:)...the 3rd of August is a day I'd rather forget!

Anyway, do Cork & Kerry have different dialects?:eek: I never knew that, if so, that's actually quite amazing for such a small country to have so many dialects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Anyway, do Cork & Kerry have different dialects?:eek: I never knew that, if so, that's actually quite amazing for such a small country to have so many dialects!

Within each dialect there are always sub-dialects, same in english
    People from D4 would say some things different from people in Finglas for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Within each dialect there are always sub-dialects, same in english
    People from D4 would say some things different from people in Finglas for example

Oh yeah, I never actually took that into account before:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Profile: Próifíl
    Welcome to my profile: Fáilte chuig mo phróifíl

Advertisement