Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New huge 'Victory Christian Fellowship' centre being completed in Firhouse, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kiffer wrote: »
    Sam... You just don't understand... And for that you must be tortured.

How has this nonsense not been consigned to the dark ages where it belongs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Frak me, but this thread has been moving fast. Not going back over ten pages - did I miss anything important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Frak me, but this thread has been moving fast. Not going back over ten pages - did I miss anything important?

Yes, but none of it was on topic...

I think the most important and on topic thing that was said all thread... Was when Jakkass said that if the guy living next door to the new church should have objected to it at the planning permission stage... But that was sometime ago.
    Also he would not object to a Satanist equivalant opening near him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

did I miss anything important?
    Hmmm... everyone was agreeing... Jakkass dropped by... and 23 pages later here we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Interesting - the below is from a Times article in 2006...more here. You might recognise the people in bold below from this page

Nothing extremely outlandish...but it really doesn't help things does it? Some of the alleged goings-on at the GMV firm make interesting reading. Certainly, if there were any truth to the employee allegations, they weren't very becoming of a company with such god-fearing shareholding directors. Maybe that was before they 'took up' religion :)

Global Mobile Vision owes creditors €1.46million
    by Colm Keena / Irish Times 8th March 2006 Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:56
    Global Mobile Vision, a technology company that went into voluntary liquidation last year amid a string of allegations from its staff, left a deficiency of €1.46 million, creditors were told yesterday.

A statement of affairs produced for the meeting showed the company had tangible assets of €8,785. The Irish Times was not allowed to attend the meeting.

The main shareholders, UK nationals David and Esther Crownborn, were not present at yesterday's meeting. Efforts to contact them were unsuccessful.

Global Mobile Vision is a UK registered business that had a trading address at Nangor Road Business Park, Dublin 12. It was incorporated in August 2004 and began trading immediately. It ceased trading in June 2005.

The company's stated principal trading activity was the marketing and provision of data services to mobile phones.

The company's Irish directors told liquidators Kroll, of Manchester, England, according to the report to creditors, that the principal reasons for the company's failure were "damaging allegations made by former employees" and the insolvency of a debtor company. The debtor company, which owed £326,488, was Paracletes Technologies, also of Dublin.

Two related companies, Paracletes Technologies and YBN International Ireland, went into liquidation in August 2005, leaving debts estimated at €3.5 million.

Employees are owed more than €160,000 in wage arrears and other payments, according to the statement of affairs. The Revenue is owed €150,633. Trade creditors total €115,179, while directors loans are €1 million.

The statement of affairs showed the company had laptop computers worth an estimated €8,785 and no other assets.

The trade creditors include: Crimeforce Ireland Property Protection (€8,468); Heneghan PR (€21,780); Murrays Rent-a-Car (€32,000); NTL Communications (€10,663); and O2 (€13,947).

Director Gerry Byrne, of Milverton House, Carlow, is owed €35,000, according to the statement of affairs. He could not be contacted yesterday. David and Esther Crownborn, of Kilininy Court, Firhouse, Dublin, are owed €680,928.

Shareholder directors are the Crownborns, Mr Byrne, Brendan Hale and Sheila Hade. The last three directors are associated with the Victory Christian Fellowship, of Westland Row, Dublin.

Last year, independent TD Finian McGrath told the Dáil that employees at the company had approached him with allegations of exploitation, intimidation, breach of rights, dismissals, failure to pay staff, mandatory working, threats and sexual harassment. He said he had been told of incidents where members of staff, especially female employees, were asked to give managers "hugs".

Global Mobile Vision has a website but does not state on it where it is located. A document on the site indicates it may have a business in Delaware. On the website, the company says the Crownborns invested more than €5 million in its Dublin operation. It said some employees did not prove suitable and were let go during their training period. It also says the company experienced some early cash-flow problems.

"Since these trainee and disgruntled former employees did not have any legal or legitimate claims to make against Global Mobile Vision and against David and Esther, some of them decided to take their alleged claims to the alternative tabloid press and to some rather fringe or extremist politicians," the website states.

© The Irish Times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

they weren't very becoming of a company with such god-fearing shareholding directors.

Be careful, these are men of God.

Zillah wrote: »
    Be careful, these are men of God.

sorry I forgot, there's no reason for a believer to fear God...oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

exactly what I'm thinking. And the timing couldn't be better could it? There's a serious amount of downtrodden, demoralised people around as a result of the big R. A lot will be looking for alternatives and solace.

Which is as near to an admission as one could expect that the central tenets of atheism are depressing and disillusioning to the average punter. It takes a certain dogged grit to be an atheist.

What's the bets we start seeing American style promotional activity before too long, with free food offering after service on Sundays etc...that should attract the cream of Ballycragh :)

ps no offense to anyone from Ballycragh...

How about Tee-shirts and mugs with a big A for Atheist? Or the The Brights campaign. What's good for the goose..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Which is as near to an admission as one could expect that life as it stands is depressing and disillusioning to the average punter. It takes a lot of nerve to be an atheist...

FYP. That dogged grit that you talk about doesn't make atheism any less true.

Which is as near to an admission as one could expect that the central tenets of atheism are depressing and disillusioning to the average punter. It takes a certain dogged grit to be an atheist.

If that's meant to be putting down atheists, do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

Am I meant to feel degraded by the notion that my fervour for truth, my rejection of what I regard as fairy stories and my eagerness for other people to be similarly aware, are things to be ashamed of?

Dude, you've gotta do better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Is offering food at Christian events solely an American thing? Hm...

Anyhow, what's with the rabid foaming of the mouth when the word "America" is discussed concerning Christianity? Would you really oppose this anymore if it came out of another country? Let's be real here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Jakkass wrote: »
    Would you really oppose this anymore if it came out of another country? Let's be real here.
    Yes, it's still the same evangelical nutbags behind my house no matter where they come from.

Yes, it's still the same evangelical nutbags behind my house no matter where they come from.

Apologies, I meant any more than if it came from America.

I.E If this came from another country, no doubt you'd be equally opposed? So what is so rabidly wrong with it being American rather than South Korean, or Australian?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

American style perhaps more so than american nationality... Loud, Brash, Showy... All brittle smiles and extreme reactions...?
    *shrug* Could who ever first mentioned "american" clarify what they meant?

I don't know much about God but they sure built a nice cage for him...

Apologies, I meant any more than if it came from America.

American Christianity is especially obnoxious, insidious and cringe-worthy.

American Christianity is also at the heart of the Creationist/ID movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It would be nice if Jakkass could apply the same reasoning abilities he must clearly use in the microcosm of computer science to the macrocosm of reality.
    Well you don't really know that he isn't. The best you can really do is to observe that he doesn't agree with you - anything else is to make the grevious error that your sense of reason is perfect. Given the many theists who are quite capable of using reason, I think that it's pretty damn ignorant to say that the only reason why Jakass isn't an atheist like you is because he isn't applying reason consistently.
    ... which comes out of their desire for self-preservation.

We're all eating the same plate of meat and vegetables, but Theists are carving it up and rearranging it to look fancier. Atheists however are happy to eat it as nature intended it to look. The presentation may be different but the substance of it and the purpose of eating it are the same.

So why then does Sam Vimes, an atheist as far as I can tell, appeal to some deeper (metaphysical?) idea of "morality" if self-preservation is not high and mighty enough for him? I have my own theories.
    Then think about all the other natural occurrences in this world that you also thank God for, and all the questions that Science is trying to answer that you also impose your God on.

Are you lot completely incapable of containing your self-righteous indignation?
    It's a great show seeing all the atheists banging their fists on the proverbial table while Jackass remains calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Húrin wrote: »
    So why then does Sam Vimes, an atheist as far as I can tell, appeal to some deeper (metaphysical?) idea of "morality" if self-preservation is not high and mighty enough for him? I have my own theories.

I don't appeal to anything metaphysical. Where did you get that idea :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's a great show seeing all the atheists banging their fists on the proverbial table while Jackass remains calm.

I think it's more frustration than indignation.

I'm not sure if sticking both fingers in ears while chanting "I'm right, I'm right, I'm right & the Bible tells me so" can claim to be remaining calm, tbh, it's more a steadfast & unwavering principle not to concede the other side may have a point, regardless of what they bring to a discussion you insist on having with them.

I'm not sure if sticking both fingers in ears while chanting "I'm right, I'm right, I'm right & the Bible tells me so" can claim to be remaining calm, tbh, it's more a steadfast & unwavering principle not to concede the other side may have a point, regardless of what they bring to a discussion you insist on having with them.

This is absolutely absurd, and entirely unfair.

I am considering each and every one of your views. I even find many of them to be quite interesting, but to claim that I am sticking both fingers in my ears by merely disagreeing with you is outright ridiculous.

Tell me, if I became an atheist and took your dogmatic opposition to faith, and disagreed with theists, this would be absolutely different right?

The logic on here is really quite something else at times.

From wikki:
    Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from

I don't have a dogmatic approach, that's the very point. I'm happy to say I don't actually know there is definitely not a God until proven otherwise. The distinct lack of evidence to the contrary means I personally don't think there is, but I don't & can't actually know with absolute certainty.

My lack of belief in the credibility of supernatural events in the bible is not dogmatic either, I don't believe in lots of things that cannot be proven or even argued with a toe-hold in reality - once they can, I'll start believing. By definition, that is not dogmatic.

• Advertisement

Ickle Magoo: I just think you're out of order assuming that I amn't even appreciating any of your points. I'm probably not going to become an atheist, but that doesn't mean that I don't find your take of what life is all about.

The resorting to personal accusations and ad-hominems is quite a new take on discussion, but I would prefer to be fair and reasonable rather than divulge in such nonsense.

I didn't realise you appreciated any of the points being made, as the same arguments seem to crop up time & again, I stand corrected.

It's not an ad hominem, that is how you "debate" - as many an infraction & occasional ban from certain fora would attest. :p

Bible quotes are few and far between in that guy's posts so I think that's a nonsense misrepresentation.
    I didn't realise you appreciated any of the points being made, as the same arguments seem to crop up time & again, I stand corrected.

The same arguments are hurled at him repeatedly, with esecalating levels of hostility, because too many posters can't take it that he thinks differently from them. To deal with this most of them make some sort of argument that he is intellectually inferior or inconsistent at best. He is quite reasonably asserting his equality and consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bible quotes are few and far between in that guy's posts so I think that's a nonsense misrepresentation.

The same arguments are hurled at him repeatedly, with esecalating levels of hostility, because too many posters can't take it that he thinks differently from them. To deal with this most of them make some sort of argument that he is intellectually inferior or inconsistent at best. He is quite reasonably asserting his equality and consistency.

Hoi!

Agnostic Theist, stop sticking up for other flippin theist's that fail to follow our glory mob of disbelief, All right! They are not entitled to their obfuscate opinions they are intulcetaly enferoir and stooped and al tat:rolleyes:

Bible quotes? :confused:

The arguments hurled at him? When anyone chooses to frequent a forum and regularly uses beliefs only held by Christians to try & make a serious point - often to non-Christians - that's going to be fairly par for the course, I'm afraid.

I certainly don't think Jackass is mentally inferior - jeez, I hope I never gave that impression...& I think he's completely consistent. He uses unverifiable sources of "evidence" to back up his view points - but he is without a doubt absolutely consistent in that.

Anyway, my aim wasn't to be nasty or personal to Jackass, the original comment was said tongue in cheek in relation to making arguments that no-one can ever counter & so he's bound to be fairly laid back. Others "bang the table" when they get stressed trying to make points because they get bogged down with trifling little details like actual verifiable evidence or at the very least, something which can stand up to some kind of scientific scrutiny - it wasn't meant as an attack on his person, what he does or how he does it. Soz Jackass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Well you don't really know that he isn't. The best you can really do is to observe that he doesn't agree with you - anything else is to make the grevious error that your sense of reason is perfect. Given the many theists who are quite capable of using reason, I think that it's pretty damn ignorant to say that the only reason why Jakass isn't an atheist like you is because he isn't applying reason consistently.

:)

If Jakkass admits that he has in fact been a Deist for all this time then I apologize. But if he remains a Theist then I apologize for nothing. I don't doubt Theists use reason up to a point, ergo, the same point that a Deist will stop short. However, it is all the superfluous assumptions in regards to the wishes and thoughts of a deity that make it inextricably antithetic to the methods and practices Jakkass will learn and use while studying any Science.

Oh Húrin. I really would like to know how you are capable of determining the prosody of the posts in this thread without actually hearing the poster say them or seeing their facial expressions.

If you, objectively, read through this thread in entirety you will see Jakkass selectively replying to comments and repeating his points ad nauseum without further expanding on them or offering additional support for his opinion. Whereas he conceded earlier that a "contrived" story told to a child to get them to obey a series of rules would be wrong, he still has not conceded that equally, the unproven superstitions that are thought to children to control them by Christians is equally as wrong.

However, I don't expect Jakkass to concede an inch. I understand the level of belief that Jakkass harbors and it would be akin to a person trying to convince me the Sun will not rise tomorrow.

The resorting to personal accusations and ad-hominems is quite a new take on discussion, but I would prefer to be fair and reasonable rather than divulge in such nonsense.

Considering this post to be me rather obtusely indulging an error you have made.

If Jakkass admits that he has in fact been a Deist for all this time then I apologize. But if he remains a Theist then I apologize for nothing. I don't doubt Theists use reason up to a point, ergo, the same point that a Deist will stop short. However, it is all the superfluous assumptions in regards to the wishes and thoughts of a deity that make it inextricably antithetic to the methods and practices Jakkass will learn and use while studying any Science.

Why is being a deist any more reasonable than being a theist? I don't particularly get this myself. I think it's absolutely non-sensical to think that God would create the world, and then pop off without having any real involvement with it.
    If you, objectively, read through this thread in entirety you will see Jakkass selectively replying to comments and repeating his points ad nauseum without further expanding on them or offering additional support for his opinion. Whereas he conceded earlier that a "contrived" story told to a child to get them to obey a series of rules would be wrong, he still has not conceded that equally, the unproven superstitions that are thought to children to control them by Christians is equally as wrong.

You know that there is only one of me, and many of you. I am not going to be able to respond to every comment individually, if other theists were more willing to tolerate the mode of discussion on this forum you might find that people would be more capable to deal with your queries.

Again, I've expanded rather clearly on my opinion about why there is absolutely no issue with this church, amongst the other topics that were raised here, and I can't help think but you are being disingenuous here.

I have conceded that it an adult made up a story to tell a child to obey a series of rules it would be dishonest, because it was contrived. I believe the Gospel to be true, hence why I don't see it as dishonest or contrived and hence why I feel it is important to me to follow. That's the difference, I would have thought that you would have been capable enough to understand that much. I can understand where you are coming from given that you don't believe in God, I personally do.
    However, I don't expect Jakkass to concede an inch. I understand the level of belief that Jakkass harbors and it would be akin to a person trying to convince me the Sun will not rise tomorrow.

Why should I deny God's existence if I feel it is convincing, and I find your arguments lacking? It's this constant insistence that when I read your posts I must change my mind that is the problem. This expectation doesn't need to be there.

To be quite honest with you, I find you all to be rather interesting, because I know that I couldn't ever come to dishonour God and reject His existence. It's all too apparent to me.

I can empathise to a certain extent because I didn't have faith for a few years of my life. I know what it is like, but I don't think I can ever go back, and more particularly I don't want to go back given how I've been convinced of the truth of Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I can empathise to a certain extent because I didn't have faith for a few years of my life. I know what it is like, but I don't think I can ever go back, and more particularly I don't want to go back given how I've been convinced of the truth of Christianity.

Then why are you facinated by us? Deep down, somewherein with you, there is a side of you that questions the very logic you follow(and with good reason :))

• Advertisement

:)

If Jakkass admits that he has in fact been a Deist for all this time then I apologize. But if he remains a Theist then I apologize for nothing. I don't doubt Theists use reason up to a point
    All humans use reason only up to a point. I have seen no evidence that atheists as a group are endowed with any more reason than theists as a group.
    ergo, the same point that a Deist will stop short.
    Why use an arbitrary yardstick like this?
    However, it is all the superfluous assumptions in regards to the wishes and thoughts of a deity that make it inextricably antithetic to the methods and practices Jakkass will learn and use while studying any Science.
    Why should he take a scientific approach to theology? Reason does exist outside of science, believe it or not.

I studied art in college, and methods like free association (determined mostly by cultural memes I'd say) were used to further the progress of art work. This free association couldn't be done in science. Does that mean that art institutions are inextricably anti-science?
    Oh Húrin. I really would like to know how you are capable of determining the prosody of the posts in this thread without actually hearing the poster say them or seeing their facial expressions.
    I can try to determine it by the aggression inherent in the language, but through a thick filter like the internet I could be wrong.
    If you, objectively, read through this thread in entirety you will see Jakkass selectively replying to comments and repeating his points ad nauseum without further expanding on them or offering additional support for his opinion.
    Humans can't read objectively. Jakkass has to be selective because of the enormous amount of people addressing him. From how I can see it few posters are engaging with his points or trying to see them from his POV so he doesn't need to expand them further.
    Whereas he conceded earlier that a "contrived" story told to a child to get them to obey a series of rules would be wrong, he still has not conceded that equally, the unproven superstitions that are thought to children to control them by Christians is equally as wrong.
    Nor has anyone conceded to his points about how Christian beliefs are not just "unproven superstitions".
    Of course you understand because his belief is equal to the fervour of your atheism. Perhaps when you concede points he will too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement