Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New huge 'Victory Christian Fellowship' centre being completed in Firhouse, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrsG09

One of my friends works there full time and I can assure you she has nothing to do with the hades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

MrsG09 wrote: »
    I don't think it's alarmist if you work from a building that could be shut tonight.
    I don't think it's possible to relocate a 5 roomed play school with a play ground over night

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.

I have to admit it doesnt weigh heavily on my mind. At this stage its been known its been coming for weeks - I am sure there are contingency plans in place.

Id far rather see the place hammered shut than allow the scammers pastors to go on fleecing the public and the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.

I have to admit it doesnt weigh heavily on my mind. At this stage its been known its been coming for weeks - I am sure there are contingency plans in place.

Id far rather see the place hammered shut than allow the scammers pastors scammers to go on fleecing the public and the state.
    FYP

As far as I'm aware all state contracts have ceased. Also I don't think a change of location will prevent gullible people parting with their money

As far as I'm aware all state contracts have ceased. Also I don't think a change of location will prevent gullible people parting with their money
    Of course it won't. We still shouldn't condone it though.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware anyone was condoning it?

So what are you saying? The place should stay open so that people from unconnected business dont lose their jobs?

Why would they lose their jobs, they dont work for the pastors?

Well, you did have the 'what harm, they'll just go somewhere else and give their tithe to someone else' attitude coming across in recent posts...

Presumably its "Running a Business 101" that if your business is dependent for its space on the building owned by another business staying open and that anchor business continuing as a going concern then you have a contingency plan in place for if the anchor business goes bust.

Its public knowledge since at least May that VC was going to be repossessed. So even without a contingency plan, surely the businesses in question have had some time to regroup and have a strategy moving forward? It would seem to be amateur hour if not.

Just because I could care less what fools do what their money doesn't mean I condone the victory church / religion or whatever it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Nearly 4 years ago I started this thread after driving by a newly erected VCF (they were called VCF back then but cleverly re-branded in recent years and took the 'Christian' out of their name to maximize commercial potential in the event space).

While I have some sympathy for the workers in adjoining unrelated businesses, I can't emphasis how satisfying it is to see this happening. I really thought they'd be here for a lot longer. It was always quite clear that it was due in no small part to the strong support of the local African immigrant population than anything else but nonetheless it was very unnerving to see a pack of American-style evangelical scoundrels gaining traction in our back yard in this day and age.

Not that I had much to do with it. Hopefully though, with 46,000+ views of the thread, Boards activity had some small part to play in public opinion/disgust.

I'm no fan of the government/politicians in general but slamming the door on their tax status and bringing the hammer down on the whole thing this quickly is very encouraging and almost in polar opposite to the incompetent procrastination and inactivity in the past.

I just hope now that they nail them to the wall in the courts, otherwise other scam-artists won't have any deterrence to do similarly in the future.

Just because I could care less what fools do what their money doesn't mean I condone the victory church / religion or whatever it is

I think why people don't like your comments is because you seem quite apathetic about the fact that gullible people, who for the most part, don't know any better, are being scammed by ruthless money-grubbing gangsters.

Yes, people can do what they want with their money but people like the Victory crowd should not be free to rampage through communities spending tithes on luxurious lifestyles and racking up millions in unsupported debt.

That's before we get in to the millions they made from asylum centres etc - many of which turned out to be sub-standard.

Sometimes people need to be protected. It's not enough to say "ah surem, leave 'em off do their harmless begging...etc"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nearly 4 years ago I started this thread after driving by a newly erected VCF (they were called VCF back then but cleverly re-branded in recent years and took the 'Christian' out of their name to maximize commercial potential in the event space).
    Impressive persistence on your part -- thanks for following up :)

To be honest I don't really care if you don't like my opinion. I think it's common to have differing views on a discussion forum surely

Additionally I think you will find plenty of the church members are successful professional people so I think it's a sweeping generalisation to claim they 'don't know any better'

Additionally I think you will find plenty of the church members are successful professional people so I think it's a sweeping generalisation to claim they 'don't know any better'
    Plenty of vulnerable, gullible, and credulous people to be found at all strata of society. What's your point?

That the are aware of what they are doing with their own money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm sure there'll be queues of people saying "Ah well, we knew it was a scam all along and just did it to fit in", and not at all looking to get their money back.

That's hardly the point.

But not aware of what the pastors were doing with their money!

• Advertisement

^^^

Now that's what's referred to in the trade as 'response-bombing'!

:D

I'd say if they believe that paying a painter and a plumber 10% of their wages will get them straight into heaven they will think its money well spent

If that was the case why are church members having round the click sit-ins in support of the pastors?
    The church is also having packed- out
    nightly prayer meetings to pray for a successful outcome to the court case.

Typo, click=clock

If that was the case why are church members having round the click sit-ins in support of the pastors?

as someone else said - what is your point???

these people are fraudsters. they belong in court. people giving them money are tragically deluded at best and more-oft too innocent to know any better.

IQ/success/social strata doesn't come into it.

and yes, you have every right to have a differing opinion on a forum. however facts are a different story.

that people have been scammed in to paying hard earned money to a pack of charlatans is a fact. that some of them are very badly educated and didn't know any better (and in my opinion deserve protection - whether it be by the state or whatever...) is a fact.

you seem overly sympathetic to this organisation. that's how your posts read.

I dont have an explanation for God Delusion. If I truly had the answer Id be rich myself.

As I previously stated, I really couldn't give a second thought to members if the church. They are mostly well educated people who decided to give their money to these pastors. If laws have been broken then let them face the full force of the courts.

I am not arguing in their favour, merely stating that I'm not too concerned with them or their beliefs.

My only point is that the closure of this building will affect the livelihoods of many others employed in the building who have absolutely nothing to do with the religion. They are unsure if they have jobs tomorrow morning.
    Some posters here seem to think 'ah shur what harm they can set up again no bother'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I dont have an explanation for God Delusion. If I truly had the answer Id be rich myself.
    You don't need to be able to explain it. You just have to be able to use it.

Ever considered a job as a pastor? Seems to be little or nothing to it. But lots of money. Tax free.

robindch wrote: »
    You don't need to be able to explain it. You just have to be able to use it.

Ever considered a job as a pastor? Seems to be little or nothing to it. But lots of money. Tax free.

Couldnt do it. God and politics are two areas I wouldnt have the stomach for.

• Advertisement

My only point is that the closure of this building will affect the livelihoods of many others employed in the building who have absolutely nothing to do with the religion. They are unsure if they have jobs tomorrow morning.
    Some posters here seem to think 'ah shur what harm they can set up again no bother'

I refer you to my post #580

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement