Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New huge 'Victory Christian Fellowship' centre being completed in Firhouse, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

MrsG09 wrote: »
    As I previously stated, I really couldn't give a second thought to members if the church. They are mostly well educated people who decided to give their money to these pastors. If laws have been broken then let them face the full force of the courts.

I am not arguing in their favour, merely stating that I'm not too concerned with them or their beliefs.

My only point is that the closure of this building will affect the livelihoods of many others employed in the building who have absolutely nothing to do with the religion. They are unsure if they have jobs tomorrow morning.
    Some posters here seem to think 'ah shur what harm they can set up again no bother'

I understand your point about the other enterprises. In a perfect world they'd be OK. we'll have to see what happens.

but you are wrong about the members of the church. they are certainly not "mostly well educated people who decided to give their money to these pastors".

In fact the majority of the throng are recent/semi recent immigrants from Africa. I'm generalising...but in general, they are not well educated. In the job I'm in, I have seen it first hand. You may not "give them a second thought" but I do.

If a parent / elderly relative / less intelligent friend / whatever...of yours was hoodwinked by some unscrupulous thief on the street, are you trying to tell me you wouldn't be up in arms?

You'd just say...screw it...whatya gonna do???

I don't think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrsG09

If you refer to posts previous to your own I think you will see that it was stated numerous times that existing businesses could easily relocate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If you refer to posts previous to your own I think you will see that it was stated numerous times that existing businesses could easily relocate

What do you think happens to businesses when the building that they rent space in closes down or is repossessed or goes on fire or whatever?

Seriously?

I'm sure that I would be up in arms but none of my friends or family have been affected so I'm not.

I don't agree with what's gone on with the 'religion' or whatever it is but In my opinion these people went in with their eyes open.
    Also I know for a fact many members are well educated successful people as I am frequently in there and as I said I know someone who works in the building full time.

The same people are still supporting the pastors and church now.

Different strokes for different folks. I would bet any money if they change venue to a semi-detached house in the area they will still pack it out and rake it in

123 I'm not sure why you are asking me random questions.

I realise people lose their jobs every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Different strokes for different folks. I would bet any money if they change venue to a semi-detached house in the area they will still pack it out and rake it in
    Oh. Well..... that's OK then..... I suppose....?

:rolleyes:

123 I'm not sure why you are asking me random questions.

I realise people lose their jobs every day of the week.

You continue to go on about the poor unfortunates who will lose their jobs.

I assert they will not. I ask you what makes you think they will and you claim Im asking you a random question! The mind boggles.

I don't agree with what's gone on with the 'religion' or whatever it is but In my opinion these people went in with their eyes open.

You think they knew the money they were donating was going to fund the pastors lifestyles?

I'm merely saying that's their decision to make. If someone is of sound mind and body surely they can decide for themselves what they do with their money?

123, my friend works in the building and will be out of the job in theorming if the building closed. What do you not understand about that?

The mind certainly does boggle!!!

• Advertisement

I'm merely saying that's their decision to make. If someone is of sound mind and body surely they can decide for themselves what they do with their money?

But how could they make an informed decision? The pastors werent telling them that the money was being used to pay off personal debt and lambourginis.

Seriously - how can you not see this?

123 if they were not aware, they are now and still support the organisation

I'm sure that I would be up in arms but none of my friends or family have been affected so I'm not.

Also I know for a fact many members are well educated successful people as I am frequently in there and as I said I know someone who works in the building full time.

The same people are still supporting the pastors and church now.

wow. so it's all good as long as you or your nearest/dearest aren't affected...not very 'christian' is it MrsG?

I'm still struggling very badly to establish your point. You seem to want to defend the indefensible...but can't quite come out with it.

There's more to this. I'm guessing you have some contacts/friends who are heavily invested (emotionally or otherwise) in the church. You say you are frequently in there. You posted a while back about possibly putting your kid in the adjoining creche and you have a friend who works in the creche (or is in the VC itself?).

Maybe you've been taken in a bit? It's very clear what these people are about. I don't how you could regard them with anyone other than disgust.

123, my friend works in the building and will be out of the job in theorming if the building closed. What do you not understand about that?

The mind certainly does boggle!!!

How do you know that? Are you the owner of one of the businesses? Are you saying that you know for definite there is no contingency plan in place?

If you are involved in this place you should declare your interest. Your posts certainly come across as though you are overly sympathetic to the plight of this scam.

123 if they were not aware, they are now and still support the organisation

Im sure some of them are outraged.

How do you know that people are in there with the pastors and supporting the organisation btw?

You seem to know a lot of what is going on inside the centre, I cannot help but think your level of involvement is more than you are revealing here.

I'll be driving past there soon. Anybody know how to make the horn on a Ford Focus do that 'Haw-Haw' sound like Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons?

:D

Ok this is getting ridiculous.

Conspiracy theories are now being created.

No I'm not in the church, no I don't own a business in the church. No none of my friends or family are in the church.

I was just making the point that other unrelated businesses and people would be affected by the closure of the building so it wasn't 'all good' if the building is closed tomorrow morning.

I realise people lose jobs every day of the week, believe me I know only too well.

I have no opinion either way regarding the religion as it doesn't affect me, I have enough going on in my life without worrying about what other people do with their time / money. If crimes have been committed I hope the perpetrators are held to task, if people of unsound mind have been scammed I obviously think that is wrong. If people of sound mind have been scammed I think the phrase 'a fool and his money are easily parted' springs to mind.

I was just making the point that other unrelated businesses and people would be affected by the closure of the building so it wasn't 'all good' if the building is closed tomorrow morning.

There will be some disruption no doubt, but unless you are the owner of a business there I dont think you can say for certain that people will lose jobs. None of us are privy to the business plans/insurance/other options for the businesses in there.

Of course if people lose jobs its a bad thing. A beautiful facility lying vacant is a bad thing. But scammers being exposed and stamped out is a wonderful thing.

On a separate note I noticed on Saturday that the evangelical church in Tallaght village was taking full advantage of Victorys woes and were offering free car washes both in Tallaght Village and in Super Valu car park - quick to shepherd any wandering flock in their direction.

As I said numerous times one of my best friends will have no job in the morning if the building closes.

Yes, obviously her employers can relocate if they wish but until this does happen she would be out of the job for the foreseeable future. So yes, I can say for certain jobs will be lost if the building closes

• Advertisement

Ok this is getting ridiculous.

Conspiracy theories are now being created.

No I'm not in the church, no I don't own a business in the church. No none of my friends or family are in the church.

I realise people lose jobs every day of the week, believe me I know only too well.

I have no opinion either way regarding the religion as it doesn't affect me, I have enough going on in my life without worrying about what other people do with their time / money. If crimes have been committed I hope the perpetrators are held to task, if people of unsound mind have been scammed I obviously think that is wrong. If people of sound mind have been scammed I think the phrase 'a fool and his money are easily parted' springs to mind.

fair enough.

but remember where you're posting. You say you don't have an opinion on the religion - well folks around here certainly do ;)

And the other side of it is the criminal intentions of these charlatans and a bit of compassion for people who get genuinely hoodwinked. It frustrates the living jaysus (that's prob the wrong word) out of me to see people being that naive...but it happens.

I don't apologise for not having an opinion on the religion.

It seems to me most religions are corrupt, just on varying levels

As I said numerous times one of my best friends will have no job in the morning if the building closes.

Yes, obviously her employers can relocate if they wish but until this does happen she would be out of the job for the foreseeable future. So yes, I can say for certain jobs will be lost if the building closes

Im sorry, I dont understand this. She is protected by employment law in Ireland. She can be made redundant or offered a position in a relocated business or a different branch.

No one just walks up to a locked building and has "no job" - there are legal processes and procedures companies must follow.

I don't apologise for not having an opinion on the religion.

It seems to me most religions are corrupt, just on varying levels

sounds like an opinion to me?

i'd stick with that one :)

Yes she can be offered a position in another premises IF they relocate but this is obviously not going to happen overnight is it?

I said 'the religion' as in the victory centre.
    Not religion in general

Yes she can be offered a position in another premises IF they relocate but this is obviously not going to happen overnight is it?

But its been clear since May whats been going on?

You can be sure her employers have consulted their solicitors etc..

And the receivers may open the building to allow the going concerns in it to continue for a period - that happens.

I appreciate you are worried for your friend and I wouldnt like to see people lose jobs but your posts are dogmatic in the assertion that jobs will be lost when the reality is - we dont know that.

I said 'the religion' as in the victory centre.
    Not religion in general

You said 'most religions'. How many do they have in there?!?

123 fair enough you seem to know a lot more about this than me.

• Advertisement

Endacl

I said I think most religions (generally) are corrupt in response to another poster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement