Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New huge 'Victory Christian Fellowship' centre being completed in Firhouse, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

MrsG09 wrote: »
    123 fair enough you seem to know a lot more about this than me.

Id a friend who worked in an unrelated business in the building of Total Fitness in Sandyford when it went bust. The business just moved premises. There was a bit of disruption alright.

Nobody wants their business to go bust, they will do their best to protect themselves and carry on elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrsG09

That's good to hear.
    It's quite stressful when she is the sole breadwinner Of a large family

That's good to hear.
    It's quite stressful when she is the sole breadwinner Of a large family

Really her employer should be keeping her informed of what's going on. Bad form not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wolf tonedeaf

Bags the 20ft Telly in the window of this kip when the looting starts

Her employer seems to be clinging to the hope the building won't close to be honest

• Advertisement

Her employer seems to be clinging to the hope the building won't close to be honest

Well the receivers might let it stay open for existing businesses. I think the crèche in total fitness in sandyford stayed running after a bit of disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

I go to this church sometimes. Didn't know any of this was going on. I really haven't been there in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Bags the 20ft Telly in the window of this kip when the looting starts

How about we split it down the middle? 10ft each.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    How about we split it down the middle? 10ft each.

Ah. The megatelly of Solomon...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have no opinion either way regarding the religion as it doesn't affect me, I have enough going on in my life without worrying about what other people do with their time / money.

They were getting tax relief payments from Revenue of approx 250k a year on the 'donations'.

Still think this sort of thing doesn't affect you? We were all subsidising it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Ninja I think that says a lot more about our tax system than it does about the church

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ninja I think that says a lot more about our tax system than it does about the church
    You're ok with people stealing money from taxpayers like you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yes she can be offered a position in another premises IF they relocate but this is obviously not going to happen overnight is it?
    It is certain they will need to relocate? If the businesses have a legal lease then there is a reasonable chance that the lease will be valid. You see this all the time in commercial building sales. The building gets sold but the tenants already there are undisturbed. This is because there lease is good against any subsequent owner of the property.

Of course, this may be complicated by how the "owners" have behaved, but I am not sure that misbehaviour, or even fraud, of the lessor will be enough to invalidate the lease of the lessee, assuming the lease was properly executed.

In addition, it may very well be in the receivers interest to have tenants in the property.It will at least provide some income, an occupied property is less likely to be vandalised and sitting tenants might well make the property more attractive to potential investors.

Not necessarily all doom and gloom for the businesses that are there. Assuming of course they obtained a lease and did not believe they could merely trust the landlords on the basis that they were good christians...

MrP

Robin, please point out where I stated I am happy with people 'stealing' money from tax payers.

These random unfounded accusations are just ridiculous.

Mr pudding, staff onsite have no idea if they will need to relocate or not. If the entire building will be closed or just the church will be asked to vacate.

Apparently it's business as usual this morning though. I assume staff will be informed of what went on in the high court yesterday

I assume staff will be informed of what went on in the high court yesterday

I am interested to hear this myself.

There is a summary here of yesterdays events in court. Rather than clap these people up in jail they now have until Friday to comply with the High Court.

http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/hades-or-heaven-friday-june-14-the-four-courts/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Robin, please point out where I stated I am happy with people 'stealing' money from tax payers. These random unfounded accusations are just ridiculous.
    That wasn't an accusation, or a statement of fact about anything that you might have said earlier on.

Instead, that was a question which I asked because your response to ninja seemed to place most of the blame upon the tax system for allowing people to use a tax law which is supposed to encourage charitable behaviour - when, in this case, it seems that charitable behaviour seems to have been the last thing on the minds of the church and people concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

There is a summary here of yesterdays events in court. Rather than clap these people up in jail they now have until Friday to comply with the High Court.

http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/hades-or-heaven-friday-june-14-the-four-courts/

hmmm...the countdown begins. The comment below that article is also a tragic exercise in extreme unintended irony, worth a read...

we're closing in Pastor Brendan.

Hopefully there won't be any Waco-style drama. Be a shame to lose a facility like that...

123 thanks for posting the link will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow so!

Robin, if the tax system is so easy to manipulate do you not think that it should be corrected so scammers can't - as you put it 'steal tax payers money'?

• Advertisement

Waco- style drama?!
    Are they really that extreme? I always just assumed they were bible bashers minding their own business

(the congregation not the pastors before anyone jumps down my throat)

Do you really think they could turn violent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Waco- style drama?!
    Are they really that extreme? I always just assumed they were bible bashers minding their own business

(the congregation not the pastors before anyone jumps down my throat)

Do you really think they could turn violent?

nah I was being a little facetious there MrsG...but who knows...

Waco...no I don't think so. Also, I threw the Waco example out there but the actual Waco series of events is hotly disputed (deffo for another thread...)

But I wouldn't put much past the trustees to be honest. They've already had German Shepherds in to keep the receivers out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

Amazing none of this is making it into the mainstream news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Surely their Lord will smite any CAB, Revenue or other representatives of mammon that try to mess with his holy temple.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Amazing none of this is making it into the mainstream news.

The State vs African immigrant christians. Not good optics if put in a certain spin.

But it's been in the Irish Times, so the mainstream are listening in.

Was also on Sunday world and daily mail

Also it's not just African migrants, there are a good few Irish And a sizeable number of Americans that go there.
    There was a large group of American teenagers there last week for some prayer retreat thingie

Banbh wrote: »
    Surely their Lord will smite any CAB, Revenue or other representatives of mammon that try to mess with his holy temple.

Exciting - I await the Lord Jebus in all his glory.

You know the way if I cant pay my mortgage and my home eventually gets repossessed by the bank, they can sell it and come after me for the shortfall?

So what happens in a situation like this, can the pastors be pursued for the outstanding monies owed - or because its a commercial venture will they simply be able to avail of bankruptcy and walk away?

Will their personal assets or other business ventures be under threat?

• Advertisement

I guess it depends in who actually owns the building and who owns the loans on paper. Is it the church, a limited company etc.

It's surely doubtful the pastors signed loan agreements in a personal capacity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement