Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New huge 'Victory Christian Fellowship' centre being completed in Firhouse, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Mainstream media is picking it up a bit more now:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gardai-in-dawn-raids-on-homes-of-church-trustees-29341198.html

Looks like the 3 pastors have gone into hiding, we continue to live in interesting times. Course its easy to hide when youve plenty of cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

XMwaFXV.jpg

Looks like whoever did this finally got their wish. It was taken while they were building the massive monstrosity.

XMwaFXV.jpg

Looks like whoever did this finally got their wish. It was taken while they were building the massive monstrosity.

Sure the Catholic Church is only a stones throw away! Maybe some gods are acceptable.

More media: http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/catch-trustees-says-judge-gilligan/

Found this bit interesting:
    Yesterday (Wednesday), James Doherty Bl, for the receivers said members of a security firm hired by the receivers had visited the premises in recent days, and again remained unable to gain access to the properties.

Person conducting the blockade, counsel said, had acted in a threatening manner towards the security staff. They had refused to identify themselves or say on whose authority the acted. At one of the premises one person involved in the blockade would only identify themselves as “Mother Theresa”.

Counsel also said some of those conducting the blockade had walkie talkies, and an Alsatian dog.

Mother Theresa is there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

MrsG09 wrote: »
    I guess it depends in who actually owns the building and who owns the loans on paper. Is it the church, a limited company etc.

It's surely doubtful the pastors signed loan agreements in a personal capacity
    As trustees or as directors of a limited company there are circumstances where individuals can be found liable for losses sustained by a company or losses to the subject matter of a trust.

With respect to the loans, few banks will lend money to "companies" in their own right. Clearly this is not the case for large, well established companies, but it is highly conceivable that these guys may have contractual liability beyond that which it might be possible to find due to their misbehaviour as company directors it trustees.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrsG09

The plot thickens!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Mother Theresa is there!!

just can't keep a good woman down...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The plot thickens!!!
    In post 666? Well it might :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

robindch wrote: »
    In post 666? Well it might :)

Awww man, that picture would have been perfect! Three away, dammit.

Just passed by it there, seems to be security just inside the gates.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Woogle

They preached the so called "prosperity gospel" - an abomination.

• Advertisement

123 they have been there since Monday of last week

123 they have been there since Monday of last week

Yeah I know, I meant, in light of yesterdays High Court ruling - they are still there.

I was there earlier IRS business as usual in there

Typo - IRS = its

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Typo - IRS = its

I don't know. Apart from jurisdiction, IRS fits quite nicely...

Typo - IRS = its
    You can edit your post to correct spellos like that by clicking on the "Edit" button to the right of the post's textbox.

Stopped in to say hello earlier. I'd never gone near the place before, although I'm local to it, I couldn't have stomached it when I thought the place was thriving - which it probably never was as it turns out. But I felt more comfortable strutting around a foundering ship, all smiles and smugness. The place and people are eerily on edge. To be honest I enjoyed that, a lot.

'Security' at the gate, in fairness only consisted of a man and woman. The gate is half closed so they're screening cars. I strolled in to the pedestrian part and was approached by the guy. I wasn't expecting to get near the place but I was giving it a blast as I was feeling mischievous.

He asked "are you OK?", I said fine thanks and asked if it was still open to the public so I could go in for a coffee. Very funny, because as I was doing this a Paddywagon came from the behind the centre and through the gates, obviously on their latest scout for the runaways. So he looks at the Paddywagon, mumbles and begrudgingly says I could go in. I reckon if that hadn't happened I may have been refused entry but who knows.

I had a nose around. The looks I was getting were unbelievable. The girl behind the register called someone and a guy soon arrives behind the counter with a walkie talkie. Talk about tension, it was incredible. So I kept smiling, I was quite enjoying this, so I sat down and leisurely ate a muffin watching walkie-talkie people buzz around and getting daggers from the register girl.

Got sick of it eventually and had another stroll around then headed out. Couldn't resist asking the man at the gates where the German Shepherds were today, and if he only let me in cuz the cops were there. I also asked him if they knew where Brendan, Sheila and Gerry were and said I hoped they turned up for court tomorrow...and that I hoped they ended up in jail.

In fairness the guy seemed so taken aback by what I was saying, I left it at that. He genuinely seemed like he hadn't a clue why I would say these things. Maybe he was playing it cool, but I wasn't getting any fun out of it either way so off I went...

Popped down earlier myself with a friend. Two guys sitting behind the gates, paid no attention to us. There was obviously some kind of meeting or gathering on, the carpark was packed so we didnt bother going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why is it still open?

Its not exactly the Reichstag, so I won't let my imagination run riot...but you see that place and you can't help wonder about the of myriad of places people could be hiding deep in the bowels of the place...I'm sure the cops are all over it.

There's a skip out back with a load of mattresses and bedding and whatnot. Thought that was interesting.

• Advertisement

why is it still open?

who knows? the lord works in mysterious ways :)

perhaps to keep the unrelated enterprises on site open?

i'm sure they'd close it if they could

why is it still open?
    Hoping for some gullible believer to show up with a checkbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lazydaze

What a shame the area will loose this centre and all the activities that are run from it. A blow to the community, its a pity if the doors have to close. We will loose more, than will be gained by its closure. Jobs will go, local groups will have to find new premises in different locations, that's if they are able to re-set up again. A great resource of services and amenities will have to move on and be scattered or lost to the community and area. Very sad and a shame indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

lazydaze wrote: »
    What a shame the area will loose this centre and all the activities that are run from it. A blow to the community, its a pity if the doors have to close. We will loose more, than will be gained by its closure. Jobs will go, local groups will have to find new premises in different locations, that's if they are able to re-set up again. A great resource of services and amenities will have to move on and be scattered or lost to the community and area. Very sad and a shame indeed.

'tis a pity that the organisation was so, eh, loose with its accounting policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nothing but good can come from the closure of exploitative organisations like this.

Mainstream religions aren't much better, mind.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And the shysters who preyed on the gullible will lose their cash cow.

Swings and roundabouts.

Nonsense. The whole thing is a scam to trick the gullible and the taxpayer out of their money to fund the lifestyles of a few selfish shysters.

The Firhouse I live in was a grand place with plenty of resources and activities before this place was ever built and will continue to be afterwards - the only difference is now rent wont be getting paid to criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

who knows? the lord works in mysterious ways :)

perhaps to keep the unrelated enterprises on site open?

i'm sure they'd close it if they could

what other related enterprises? i thought cafe was part and parcel of their scheme but hardly worth keeping open wouldn't exactly make much money for the receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wolf tonedeaf

Nonsense. The whole thing is a scam to trick the gullible and the taxpayer out of their money to fund the lifestyles of a few selfish shysters.

The Firhouse I live in was a grand place with plenty of resources and activities before this place was ever built and will continue to be afterwards - the only difference is now rent wont be getting paid to criminals.

My sentiments exactly . Ive lived in Firhouse for nearly 40 years and did alright without that monstrosity. We have the community centre, football clubhouse, scout den, super value, 2 chippers, a chinese, a couple of boozers, a cafe etc etc....This "church" was not a resource for the local community, it was a meeting place for every gullible bible basher gobsh**e this side of the liffey.

• Advertisement

This "church" was not a resource for the local community, it was a meeting place for every gullible bible basher gobsh**e this side of the liffey.

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement