Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New huge 'Victory Christian Fellowship' centre being completed in Firhouse, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Nonsense. The whole thing is a scam to trick the gullible and the taxpayer out of their money to fund the lifestyles of a few selfish shysters.

The Firhouse I live in was a grand place with plenty of resources and activities before this place was ever built and will continue to be afterwards - the only difference is now rent wont be getting paid to criminals.

+1

You can say for absolute certainty that if this shower of vultures thought they could set the thing up and run it profitably without providing community resources etc, they would have done just that. The community outreach and facilities are designed with one aim.

Everything, absolutely everything, about the place, from start to inglorious finish, was designed to lure donors.

Sure, there were locals who hung out at the starbucks or put their kids in the creche or whatever, who didn't involve themselves with the church...(they'll find other places quite easily) but if the VC could have got their filthy hands on them they would have - and you can trawl back through this thread and read instances where they did try. They made no bones about their original plans to canvass the community but thankfully after some initial escapades they soon learned that the indigenous community were not as gullible as they had hoped.

The whole thing is a beacon of human exploitation and unscrupulous greed. Its no loss to the community in general - apart from the handful of folks who are employed there or may be inconvenienced by moving kids out of the creche or whatever.

A shame for a handful of people, but essentially, good riddance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Anyone know whats happening with it today? Is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My sentiments exactly . Ive lived in Firhouse for nearly 40 years and did alright without that monstrosity. We have the community centre, football clubhouse, scout den, super value, 2 chippers, a chinese, a couple of boozers, a cafe etc etc....This "church" was not a resource for the local community, it was a meeting place for every gullible bible basher gobsh**e this side of the liffey.

+1, grew up there and would say exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, they'll be meeting tonight at the spot to pray for the, wait for it.......

.... G8!!!

WT actual F?!?

endacl wrote: »
    So, they'll be meeting tonight at the spot to pray for the, wait for it.......

.... G8!!!

WT actual F?!?

What? Linky?

• Advertisement

What? Linky?

On the news on newstalk. I'll go hunt out something for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

Anyone know whats happening with it today? Is it still open?

According to news reports 2pm Monday is closing time.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

On the news on newstalk. I'll go hunt out something for ya...

Found this:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/Church-trustees-promise-not-to-obstruct-bankappointed-receivers

Snap endacl!

So will I see you over there for a bit of holy rolling over the weekend?

• Advertisement

Tow wrote: »
    According to news reports 2pm Monday is closing time.

Anybody fancy a 'down with this sort of thing/careful now' rally?

:)

Anybody fancy a 'down with this sort of thing/careful now' rally?

:)

I certainly plan to be in the area to watch the fun!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Passed it on Saturday night and it was business as usual. Full house of donaters. No Gards or receivers security people in sight. I guess public liability insurance either isn't an issue or they're still operating this business legitimately?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Passed it on Saturday night and it was business as usual. Full house of donaters. No Gards or receivers security people in sight. I guess public liability insurance either isn't an issue or they're still operating this business legitimately?

2pm today is the handover to receivers. Or supposed to be anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lolababas

I arrived in Ireland two years ago and went to Victory Church on average once/twice a month. Honestly, I found their teaching very helpful.

Lolababas wrote: »
    I arrived in Ireland two years ago and went to Victory Church on average once/twice a month. Honestly, I found their teaching very helpful.

And did you not mind that your charitable donations were being used to fund the lifestyles of the 3 pastors and that they were receiving tax breaks and government funding on the basis of being a charity when they were nothing of the sort? What about the Hade sons Lamborghini - you didnt think it was unusual that someone who ran a small cafe had enough money to drive a €250k car around Firhouse?

And did you not mind that your charitable donations were being used to fund the lifestyles of the 3 pastors and that they were receiving tax breaks and government funding on the basis of being a charity when they were nothing of the sort? What about the Hade sons Lamborghini - you didnt think it was unusual that someone who ran a small cafe had enough money to drive a €250k car around Firhouse?[/QUOTe

I was not pressured to give money...it was optional and I didn't give that much, also I didn't give to the pastors - I gave to God BUT it was odd bcos I noticed that when I gave I received money/gifts unexpectedly and I believe God was blessing me. I don't know anything about the Lamborghini.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was not pressured to give money...it was optional and I didn't give that much, also I didn't give to the pastors - I gave to God BUT it was odd bcos I noticed that when I gave I received money/gifts unexpectedly and I believe God was blessing me. I don't know anything about the Lamborghini.
    So now that you know that his son was driving around in a €250k Lamborghini, that the mortgage on the buildings (which your donations were supposedly to cover) has gone unpaid, and that Revenue has removed the company's charitable status due to financial irregularities - are you not incensed, or at the very least extremely curious about what's happened to your money?

It would appear that your money hasn't gone "to God" (whatever that means to you, let's not debate it), instead it appears to have gone straight into the pockets of the trustees. Are you not going absolutely mental?

seamus wrote: »
    So now that you know that his son was driving around in a €250k Lamborghini, that the mortgage on the buildings (which your donations were supposedly to cover) has gone unpaid, and that Revenue has removed the company's charitable status due to financial irregularities - are you not incensed, or at the very least extremely curious about what's happened to your money?

It would appear that your money hasn't gone "to God" (whatever that means to you, let's not debate it), instead it appears to have gone straight into the pockets of the trustees. Are you not going absolutely mental?

+1

I know I would be. Going mental that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah an omnipotent being really needs you to give it cash

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah an omnipotent being really needs you to give it cash

What I want to know is, how does the money get from here to God? Is it by carrier pigeon? Perhaps its electronic transfer?

What does God do with the money I wonder? Maybe he has to pay for Acts of God?

These are questions I want answered!

What I want to know is, how does the money get from here to God? Is it by carrier pigeon? Perhaps its electronic transfer?

A ridiculous comment.

How is the great man/woman meant to get his head around internet banking when he is still trying to master email and blogging???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

he buys mana potions. Between protecting the babbies and appearing on toast, the fecker is always going oom on the middle of a progression fight with the divvil. Pisses Gabriel off no end when they wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I gave to God BUT it was odd bcos I noticed that when I gave I received money/gifts unexpectedly and I believe God was blessing me.
    That's a great deal. Most others in the business - Islam, Christianity, Judaism - only give credit vouchers: pay now, receive reward in next life.
    But a god that gives money/gifts in this life is definitely worth supporting.
    I bet the other gods are sick they didn't think of it.

Gosh! you all seem so upset yet I gather from reading the threads that you have not attended meetings or listened to what was being said. I will try to answer your questions from my pov....ALL churches collect money because they have to support the upkeep of the building and the people who run things have to be paid. If you work for a company you get paid so why should church people not be paid for their work, otherwise how can they live?

Anyway, as a biblical way of life is being taught in the church people are learning to live a higher life without negativity, without alcohol/drug abuse, without all the things called sin that hinder and hold back the human race. SO when we give money into this teaching (which is God's teaching) we are "giving to God"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gosh! you all seem so upset yet I gather from reading the threads that you have not attended meetings or listened to what was being said. I will try to answer your questions from my pov....ALL churches collect money because they have to support the upkeep of the building and the people who run things have to be paid. If you work for a company you get paid so why should church people not be paid for their work, otherwise how can they live?
    No disagreement here. No disagreement at all that if you love a church you want to contribute and make it better.

Still doesn't really address my question though - the money you gave wasn't going to your church. The pastors appear to have been taking all of your money and keeping it for themselves. Why do you support this?

Or just to put it another way - are you not annoyed that the pastors who implored you to donate your money and be charitable in order that you may be closer to God, were doing the exact opposite of what they were preaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Anyway, as a biblical way of life is being taught in the church people are learning to live a higher life without negativity, without alcohol/drug abuse, without all the things called sin that hinder and hold back the human race. SO when we give money into this teaching (which is God's teaching) we are "giving to God"
    True, churches do collect for the purposes of upkeep and if that was what the earnings were being used for, I'm sure there be somewhat less complaint on what the "company" does with its earnings...

However, as a previous poster pointed out, these "pastors" are clearly profiting from what's going on here. I don't see exactly how a luxury sportscar is beneficial in spreading the word of Jehovah...

**** it, maybe it's needed to help spread the spiel faster... Who knows huh?

The truth is you didn't give money to 'god'. You gave money to The Hades, The Byrnes and their cronies to buy cars, houses and expensive suits. I wonder how many donors were rolling in to the church at the weekends in expensive cars.

They have made fools of their donors.

Do you defend them because you're that lost, or is it because you're embarrassed?

Hey Guys....the Lambhorgini seems to be such an issue and as I don't know anything about it an never saw it, I've called someone whom I know has been in the church for a long time. It seems the car in question didn't belong to the pastors son but had been lent to him - he only drove it for a short while. I guess he's just another guy that likes cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The truth is you didn't give money to 'god'. You gave money to The Hades

hee hee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement