Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump on dog's leg

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

I am so upset, can't stop crying. My dog has had a lump on his leg for a while, it seems to have got bigger. I was scared of finding out what it was and regret so much not having it checked out but he is going to the vet this week.

I am posting a picture in case anyone can give me some advice although I know only a vet and a biopsy can say for sure, if anyone else has seen this and can help, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

Is there any pus coming from it? if so it could an abcess. The main thing is getting is checked out asap, which you are doing.. Hope your dog is ok whatever it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No one but the vet can tell you what the lump is, personally i would have brought the dog as soon as i noticed the lump so it could have got treatment sooner rather than later.

How old is your dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Could be something simple like an abscess, but only a vet can tell you.
    People here can speculate but you won't know till the vet has a look. Personally I'd have gone to the vet first thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

I know I was stupid for not going but it seemed to be getting smaller unless I was imagining it :( - he is nearly 7 now. There is no redness, pus or anything like that. Doesn't seem to hurt him although he doesn't like me messing with it cos he thinks I am going to cut his nails which he hates!

He is his normal self, he eats well, he plays when he is in the mood, he seems a happy boy but I am so upset that he has to go through this. :(

I do not give a fig how much anything costs as long as he gets through it.

If it's not pus'ing or causing any serious visible pain it might not be much, but again, vet will tell you and hopefully it's not serious/easily treatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

My dog had a lump on her chest near her leg joint. It was a lipoma (sp?). Bascially they are small fatty lumps and are harmless. I got it removed as if it got bigger (as they can) it may have caused difficulty walking as it would chaff. the vet said if it was somewhere else he may have left it alone. Apparently they are common on older, heavier and certain breeds of dogs. I understand your worry but no point worrying until the vet tells you there is something to worry about.

See your vet asap and put your mind at ease. btw it cost about 200 euro - but that included pre-op blood tests and analysis of the lump.

ps. my dog says to tell you she isnt fat just big boned.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Actionman grow up that's not very helpful.

Could be anything, as said the sooner the vet sees it and checks it out the better. Dogs can get all sorts of lumps and bumps as they get older so could be something or nothing. Let us know how the pooch gets on

Actionman85 banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Inexile wrote: »
    My dog had a lump on her chest near her leg joint. It was a lipoma (sp?). btw it cost about 200 euro - but that included pre-op blood tests and analysis of the lump.
    .:D
    Its a an unusual palce for anything malignant so my guess would be a lipoma also. A vet should be able to diagnose a lipoma straight away by taking a quick needle biospy and squirting the contents onto a microscope slide. A lipoma will just show fatty liquid deposits. It should also be quite soft and maneouverable (sp?).Any cancerous lump tends to be rock hard and less easy to move around under the skin.

But, any lump should be checked out regardless, especially one of that size.

Thank you all so much. Well it does move but it's not squidgy.

What did actionman say? He just requested to be my friend. He better not be taking the piss out of my dog. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

My mum also said it is unusual for a malignant tumour but you can never be too careful. He is going on Friday. Wish us luck. :(

xxx

• Advertisement

Actionman has been sitebanned, disregard anything from him.

I wish you guys the best of luck, hopefully it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

There was a similar lump on my dog's leg awhile back.
    We brought him to the vet and it turned out to be a tumour. The vet removed it and sent it off for tests.
    Fortunately, it turned out to be benign so it hadn't spread to other parts of his body. But even in the benign cases, the sooner you get them removed, the better. If you leave it for too long, the tumour can become entwined with muscle tissue and be very difficult to remove with doing damage to the limb.

Hopefully you caught that lump in time. Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you so much for your advice. I so regret not getting it sorted sooner.

Actionman has upset me even though I don't know what he said. Some people can be so disrespectful. :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi bubblewrap
    any update on your dog for us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭scooby man

could be cancer

scooby man wrote: »
    could be cancer

could be anything, perhaps a more helpful detailed post next time?

Thanks for that scooby man, really made me feel better.

tazwaz, he is going to the vets tomorrow so hopefully he will be ok. I have been told this particular vet has worked on my breed before so hopefully he will know what he is doing as I have never used him before.

It is the potential surgery that is worrying as my breed don't tolerate anaesthesia as easily as a 'normal' dog so it is very scary. :(

Well hopefully your dogs in good hands, they'll do their best and hopefully all will go ok.

Thank you so much for the help. I am praying it is just a lipoma.

He has the vets tonight, keep your fingers and paws crossed for him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

try not to worry too much,,easier said than done i know,,,but an awful lot of these lumps are nothing so keep positive... my dobie cross has three lumps for years vet said they are just fatty deposits,shes not well to have them removed as she is old and diabetic but as long as they are not bothering her we'll leave them alone,,,best of luck tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

Good Luck at vets .Hope all goes well.

Thank you all SO much for your advice and help.

He is having surgery a week on Wednesday. The vet said he hates to say the word but it is a tumour and it needs removing before it gets bigger.

He said he has no worries regarding surgery, he knows the breed well. He checked his chest and said his breathing sounds fine etc so fingers crossed.

I am so scared but he needs it doing.

Really appreciate the advice and support. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

Glad to hear you got this checked out and good luck with the surgery :)

Thank you sabbyp :)

good luck with surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Easier said than done but try not to worry too much. My youngest dog had a tumour removed from her leg last year. Thankfully it was benign and hopefully this will be the case with your dog too. Let us know how things go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Is that the same lump that he had last May, that you asked about on boards or is it a new one?

Hope it all goes well for you. Good luck.

hi how is your dog doing now ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement