Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleep meditation for children

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 10yr old who is slightly aspergers and adhd. (otherwise labeled as PDD). My problem is that he cannot get to sleep at night. I put him to bed at the same time every night and we have the same routine more or less. I use lavender and Night essence. Story telling and music have made no difference. He gets very frustrated and ends up out of bed up to myschief. He keeps is younger brother awake and will sometimes refuses to get back into his own bed. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some sleep meditation cd's. Are there a good idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi

I have an 11 year old who has aspergers who is very active at night.
    I have taught him relaxation techiques which can work but found audio books
    were better then sleep meditions or any of the loooped sound tracks.
    This summer he has been up until easily 11pm and even at 1 am I am turning of his
    light again, he needs only 7 hours sleep and is a night owl, managing his sleep patterns
    can be tricky, thankfully he is in a room of his own.

If it possible to split the two of them up bedroom wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

there are in separate rooms but the older guy keeps getting out and going inot his brother. Actually sometimes he chats through the wall to him and the younger one will go into him. they are both down an hour at the moment and the oldest (with the sleep problems) is chatting away to himself and is obviously restless. I did get some Sleep Rescue Remedy today to try but I believe it is just the same as the Night Essence. I might try some audio books. He loves Nature and Science. Mind you I do think he will be ok for tonight as he wants to stay in a friends at the weekend for a sleep over. I have told him that it would not work out as he does not sleep well and would disrupt the family so I think he may be trying to prove a point to me tonight.
    Sometimes he tells me he is afraid of noises and his room scares him. this is probably due to an over active imagination and an inability to switch of once he lies down.
    But he normally settles after I let him into my bed. My OH is not in agreement with this as we have never encouraged the children in our bed. I, on the other hand, think it is fine as we are down stairs and he does get to sleep. So hard to know what is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

All too good to be true..... I just checked on him and he is in his brothers room. Pretending to be asleep. Mind you the two of them were quiet so I have let him stay there. Not sure if I should be putting my foot down and demanding he goes back to his own room or not. If there are going to sleep I think it is fine. Is there any organisation were I could get some advice or coping techniques from?

Advertisement