Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Pass

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I am just looking for some info pls.

I have complex partial seizures and have had so for the last 15 years.

Because of this I don't drive incase worst comes to worst and one comes on, for both my safety and the drivers around me.

I have applied to the HSE and social and have been denied a free travel pass by both.
    Does this mean that I am allowed drive and whatever happens, happens?
    or should I pursue the matter further to both?

Does anyone know if this matter is a case best left go or how to best go about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

The travel pass from the DSFA is automatically given if you qualify for Disability Allowance. Its also awarded to persons above 65 yrs old. I dont know about that from the HSE - I never heard of this. Your best bet is to contact your local citizens information service. Driving is not recommended if you are medically unfit to do so - as you could pose a potential danger to other's or yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I am just looking for some info pls.

I have complex partial seizures and have had so for the last 15 years.

Because of this I don't drive incase worst comes to worst and one comes on, for both my safety and the drivers around me.

I have applied to the HSE and social and have been denied a free travel pass by both.
    Does this mean that I am allowed drive and whatever happens, happens?
    or should I pursue the matter further to both?

Does anyone know if this matter is a case best left go or how to best go about it?
    You would have to declare your seizures to the licencing authority to get a driving licence. Whether you would actually get one would depend on your medical report and how well your seizures are controlled by any meds you are on. If you already have a licence did you declare it and submit a medical report

In order to get a free pass you would need to be http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW40/Pages/2HowdoIqualifyforfreetravel.aspx

I am not aware of hse giving passes but they do sometimes give a mobility allowance but someone needs to be very restricted to get it. See

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/mobility_allowance

Advertisement