Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Desks

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:51pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sick of mine. It's small and cramped. Recommend me a new one, or at least where to get a decent sized one!

All the ones in Argos suck arse. Preferably one that fits snugly into a corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im with you i need a new one too,
    my big rig and widescreen monitor and subwoofer need more space i can never spot a good desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'm sick of mine. It's small and cramped. Recommend me a new one, or at least where to get a decent sized one!

All the ones in Argos suck arse. Preferably one that fits snugly into a corner.

Large quarter circle of laminated chipboard, two lats on the wall. Job done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PC desks in general suck. They are small, cramped and have a stupid flimsy pull out shelf for the keyboard. It's hard to find a decent one/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Large quarter circle of laminated chipboard, two lats on the wall. Job done.

If its for gaming then your bound to have loads of dvd type boxes so drawers etc are handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Pay a carpenter to make one to your spec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

keen wrote: »
    Pay a carpenter to make one to your spec.
    ^^this.

corner desks are expensive.

even ikea are terrible for a decent corner desk.

ended up getting my custom made and had to change the dimensions to fit my room in the end :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

feck it. ended up moving an old desk that my dad made into my room. its nearly perfect. im not shelling out 150+ for a desk that i'd only be moderately pleased about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Ikea, they are the kings for actual useful computer desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

http://www.cadred.org/Images/Gallery/Originals/3179_setup.jpg

nicked that baby from empty office after some company moved out and left it, all it took was some wood glue and it was right as rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

problem with your standard computer desks is that they are geared towards working at, not relaxing and playing games. I game a lot on my PS3 now purely because It's more comfortable to be on the couch with a controller then sat upright in front of my PC screen.

protip: invest a lot more in the seat than the desk. A basic foldup table will suffice in most instances, but a really good, ergonomic chair will make a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

+1 to the build your own idea

Im currently in the process of building my own and looking up material cost as we speak I type. All arguments above, computer desks are too small, cramped, generally crap and not made for the gamer in mind.

Entire books have been written on the ergonomics of the computer workstation and to get real comfort you will need to tailor a desk to your needs. I also agree with L31mr0d, invest in a good chair.

If you don't have time or money to invest than I would suggest Ikea, they do large adjustable desks that many gamers swear by.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L31mr0d wrote: »
    problem with your standard computer desks is that they are geared towards working at, not relaxing and playing games. I game a lot on my PS3 now purely because It's more comfortable to be on the couch with a controller then sat upright in front of my PC screen.

protip: invest a lot more in the seat than the desk. A basic foldup table will suffice in most instances, but a really good, ergonomic chair will make a world of difference.

Yup, a good chair is essential. I got a great one of viking. It cost me about €50 but it's fantastic. I even fell asleep in it a few times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've got a desk - its 3 foot by 5 foot, nothing underneath so I can stretch my legs - no drawers or any crap like that - plenty of room for big monitor etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I am in a similar dillema to the op in that I need a new desk but can't find anything to suit my needs. I tried the get-someone-to-build-it-for-me route but that's going to cost approximately €350 which I'm not prepared to spend. I'm heading off down to the local hardware shop tomorrow to purchase supplies and build it myself, couldn't be that hard to cut in a straight line right.... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Myself and a mate of mine that is a carpenter built my own, it's not that hard to do once you have the proper tools and not too expensive either for the materials (materials for mine cost over €300 a year ago). I was well pleased with the finished product, this is my setup to give you an idea of what you can do:

ps3r3or6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Yes it's really hard to find anything suitable, just need a large area, no stupid sliding keyboard drawer etc.

Thinking of making my own aswell, have a couple of sheets of plywood and using these screw-on legs from ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60105301 but I don't think you can buy online of them so maybe just use a couple of concrete blocks or spare filing cabinets to rest the plywood on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Similar thread on "Building & Upgrading" a while ago. [Link]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I bought a nice glass desk 3 years ago and I love it, cost round €180. The metal shelves I bought in Homebase for about €50, was a full wall size shelf but I split it in half. Having the surround speakers on stands a few inches from my head is great :D

BTW, I can't understand gamers who use the underdesk slider drawers for kb & mouse :confused: I need the freedom of the full desk. I use mine for disks/books/clutter

P5230010.jpg

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    BTW, I can't understand gamers who use the underdesk slider drawers for kb & mouse :confused:
    For me, if I didn't have the slider and just used the desktop I'd be way too close to my screen and go blind and I hate wireless keyboards :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I had originally planned to build the ultimate desk that would include cup holders, adjustable height for the monitors and it would tell me it loves me. But I decided to go down the simple route and I can always add to it later. its 6ft long and the measurements are specifically for my sitting height plus adjustments for my chair.

Im wondering what material to use, expense isn't an issue for me because this sucker should last me 10 years+. The surface table would need to be strong with no imperfections so the mouse can be used on it. Is pine a good choice? :confused:

mw9zet.jpg

Krieg wrote: »
    Im wondering what material to use

For mine I used MDF and the top surface is kitchen worktop.

my desk

Now I've got a tv/xbox where the tower is; no more 30" monitor; tower where the 30" is.

It all fits just about perfect; tv hangs a tiny bit over the edge.

kaimera wrote: »

lol... whats with the dinner table chair? :p

The amount of times I've seen this. Gamers who'll blow 2 grand on a monitor, PC, and sound system, then just grab a fold up lawn chair to sit on. Doesn't make sense.

Like someone said earlier, vikingdirect.ie is great for chairs. I put aside €100 and got mine there 2 years ago.

protip: Get a fabric chair. Leather sounds good but come on, we all know you are going to be gaming in your underwear at 2am. Bare skin and leather DO NOT mix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Did you get the Galaxy executive chair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm pretty happy with mine.

Linky : http://usera.imagecave.com/SeantheMan/SDC10721.JPG

I used to have 2 desks for both my PC, but since sold one and kept the one i preferred. Though I still have both chairs.

1 is a short stiff backed chair, the other is one of those high backed comfy ones, very relaxing. But I only use that for xbox...gotta use the stiff one for gaming at a PC with a pillow for the lowe back...otherwise sore back ensues :rolleyes:

Griffin87 wrote: »
    Did you get the Galaxy executive chair ?

No I think the prices have gone up since I bought from them. They also don't seem to have my chair anymore. I mean it was 2 years ago so I'd assume they have better ones in now. Was able to get it through work also so no VAT. If you work in an office, chances are they buy from Viking. Ask and they'll probably tack your chair onto their next order.

Here is my desk setup. This picture is old, but the chair is the same.

IMGP5782.JPG

lol... whats with the dinner table chair?

dont ask :/

working on a chair but travel tends to get in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

hellboy99 wrote: »
    For mine I used MDF and the top surface is kitchen worktop.

I was actually going to say that the kitchen worktop is a genius idea when I saw it. From the picture I can't see how you joined the three seams though. Did you use the metal joining strips already available for Kitchen worktops or was it just a perfect fit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Here is my desk setup. This picture is old, but the chair is the same.
    Same desk as mine except I have a big Lego Death Star, Simpsons figures and a Headcrab with aviator shades on mine :p

Advertisement