Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router for Cable

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm thinking of going for one of these for my broadband (actually Digiweb Metro)

It's a biggish building with thick walls.

Any snags or better recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

try wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going for one of these for my broadband (actually Digiweb Metro)

It's a biggish building with thick walls.

Any snags or better recommendations?

I keep saying this but it is very difficult to predict the performance of any wireless equipment because every building/situation is different.

Belkin certainly doesn't have a great reputation with boardsies and you will only get the full benefit of the N standard if your pc or laptop have an N card.

If the N standard is not essential then a reliable recommendation is something like the LInksys wrt54gl which will allow you to update the firmware.

If the walls are very thick then a 'plug' solution might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

I have the n laptop
    I have Cat 5e cable running to each room. However I just like the freedom that wireless would give me. Plus I'd like to use VOIP on some of those smartphones and cut out line rental

I know the Belkin or Linksys wont cover all the house. Can I plug in a few routers at various points around the house and give me 100% wireless coverage, albeit from separate routers

How would I go about that? I presume it's not just simple plug & play with three wireless routers around the place for seamless browsing?

The Cable modem is at a central point where all the Cat 5e cables terminate from each room.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

Please help me on this one too

My brother separately got one of those N1 vision wireless modem / router things on ebay and it works ok - he's on Smart (maybe unsmart after reading here) and needs to make the pc wireless so he can put the router in centre of house for full laptop coverage. So he can get either a USB Adapter or a wireless card for the pc according to the Belkin site.

There's probably better ideas and cheaper. Please tell me what would be suitable and good value or just pick the cheapest one here

Advertisement