Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much does it cost to replace shower tray, shower door and put in a new shower

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

Our shower just gave up recently. We are getting a new shower to put in and are also looking into replacing shower tray and shower door. Shower tray is 750mmx750mm, I've checked most of hardware stores, but haven't seen anyone selling this size. I got the idea from a plumber that it could cost 1000 euros to get everything done including material. Shower is surrounded by three walls, with one wall is plaster board partition. Plumber suggested to knock down the partition wall, so we can get a 800x800mm shower tray in.

just wondering if anyone has some idea roughly how much either option should cost (as the plummber said we might have to place a special order on shower tray and door since they are not standard size). can anyone give advice?

btw, my shower is on the first floor.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The shower tray is actually 760x760

What do you get for the 1000 Euro exactly

Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

the plumber gave me impression that the door and tray are non-standard size, it could cost up to 700 for them alone. i gave about 300 for the labour (include tiling). so that comes about 1000. This doesn't even include cost of the shower, as i might get shower myself.

I am in munster area.

potter on wrote: »
    the plumber gave me impression that the door and tray are non-standard size, it could cost up to 700 for them alone. i gave about 300 for the labour (include tiling). so that comes about 1000. This doesn't even include cost of the shower, as i might get shower myself.

I am in munster area.

Your figure is very very low on the labour and tiling. I would expect you to pay this for labour and tiling alone.750 does not exist and never will. it will be 760 and when the tile goes over it the tray will look like a 750

Always remember if its cheap its not going to be good. Ask for references and check them. Dont know anyone in munster sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

That sounds like a very good price for labour, suspiciously good if he's talking about knocking walls, and tiling and fitting etc.

Just so ya know, your sizes aren't "non-standard", so the price for equipment itself seems quite dear, to me anyways.

We did our place up, and literally googled for shower doors, ended up here: http://showerdoorsdirect.ie/shop/shower-doors

I think we spent about €750 in total, for door/tray/shower etc.

Hope that helps.

No disrespect to anyone intended but shower doors direct are not the cheapest, There quality is good but there adjustment is standard. and +1 on everything else

• Advertisement

thank you both joey the lips and destraynor. maybe my labour cost estimate is a bit low. I think that i might get another plumber to look into this, just to get the second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

are you tiling whole bathroom, or only where you have to, if removing stud wall you have plenty options, you may have found your original a bit small and now is your chance to upsize, cant figure out from your post if you are going 760 or 800 , dont know what type tray + door plumber had in mind but a corner entry 800 can start from under 200
    www.bathroombliss.info

ok, thought i just give a quick update. got everything done for 1100 including all materials and labour. materials are quite basic, but job was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

potter on wrote: »
    ok, thought i just give a quick update. got everything done for 1100 including all materials and labour. materials are quite basic, but job was good.

Potter, would you be willing to tell me who you used as a plumber? I am doing my bathroom over again and have all the fittings, tiles parts, and labour for everything except the plumber to shift some pipes around.

I'm in Cork City if it matters.

hi Hells_Belle,

sent you an p.m.

• Advertisement
Advertisement