Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs in donegal

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

Was just wondering what was the best clubs to join in Letterkenny to meet people? I'm not really sporty but i've noticed lately, as i now live in letterkenny, i don't get out that much..

I was wondering what would be the best way to get myself out there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

+1 id also like some info. moving up in a week or 2 and hoping to get out and about.

i saw there was a bowling alley, any chance there's a regular event on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

There is a bowling alley, cinema and gym...

I'm looking to meet new peeps.. I'm unemployed so i'm stuck at home every day and everyone i know up here is through my OH so i'd like some independance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

For Letterkenny

you would probably have to try out most places and decide yourself what's good..depends on what crowd you want to mingle with.

some places draw different numbers of people depending on what day of the week it is.

this is a list of most bars/clubs
    • josies
    • ramada [hotel]
    • wolf tone
    • drum bar ..VIP only :D
    • the cavern [club/bar]
    • mc ginleys
    • voodoo [club/bar]
    • brewery
    • dillons [hotel]
    • radisson [hotel]
    • cottage
    • central
    • blakes
    • gallaghers
    • milan [club]
    • grill [club]
    • seven
    • pulse [club]
    • sister saras [club/bar]
    • arena 7 [bowling/pool tables]
    • pin tavern [pool tables??]
    • swilly inn
    • glencar inn
    • ard na ri [bar/restaurant]
    i know i've included hotels there..but you don't have to be resident to have a drink ;)

i've missed a couple no doubt.. pulse,voodoo, cavern or grill seem to be most popular for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Royalmarine I know you're starting college next month, theres around 30 or so clubs in the college, theres a sign up day where all the clubs have stalls and you can sign up to as many as you want. I signed up to a few last year and its a great way to meet new people

Don't know if you're in the same boat tatabubbly but if not then theres a few places around..you could just head to a pub, get a few pints into yourself and start chatting to people, always a good way to meet people. Also places like the Aura Leisure Centre, Arena 7, Athletics Club etc..just depends what you're interested it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Toastmasters is restarting in a few weeks - great way to meet people and also build up you confidence and public speaking skills.

• Advertisement

Thanks, i'm not heading to the college, and i find it difficult to make friends with people..

Whats toastmasters??

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

tatabubbly wrote: »

Whats toastmasters??

So glad you asked...

Toastmasters is a club dedicated to developing public speaking and leadership skills.

There are clubs in a lot of towns, the Letterkenny one only started last year.

You learn a lot from it, but it's also good craic and a great way to meet people.

But I am biased as I'm involved in it...

Next meeting Tuesday 1st September in the Mount Errigal at 8:15PM.

PM me for more information or visit http://letterkenny.d71.org

Toastmasters doesn't really sound like my thing. I was wondering if there was any good classes eg. yoga or such..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Toastmasters doesn't really sound like my thing. I was wondering if there was any good classes eg. yoga or such..

Try the night classes program at the IT. I did Spanish there a few years ago, it was very good. I think someone a few posts up there, thought you were after night clubs, in which case you would have a sight to the world of them in Letterkenny. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

The Aura leisure centre have a number of classes on the go - spinning, pilates & water aerobics are 3 that I know of - and not because I attend them, I might add (too darn lazy :eek:).
    A good place to check out other alternatives is at the Letterkenny Community Project - they have a monthly newsletter that lets you know what's on. It's coming to the time of year when there will be plenty on and you'll be spoiled for choice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

How about salsa or jive lessons? Used to have both in Josies bar at one stage, but don't know what the story is now.

Also the Music and Drama clubs generally have a musical or play which can be great craic. If you're not into singing or dancing, there's always back stage work to be getting on with. Great for meeting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

If you're into drama, there's a one-day acting masterclass on in the theatre. Only a day, but it's a start!

http://www.angrianan.com/workshops/2009/dangordon.html

The Regional Cultural Centre usually has lots going on, starting in the autumn. Nothing published yet though on the website. I'd guess the autumn/winter programme would be available if you called in.

http://www.donegalculture.com/education/education.html

Letterkenny Music & Drama Group.

http://www.lmdg.org/index.html

Paintballing.

http://www.letterkennypaintball.ie/

Gartan Outdoor Education Centre.

http://www.gartan.com/

Thanks a lot you guys!
    My OH going to LYIT so i'm going to see if he can get me into a few night classes!

I've found that it's really hard to make friends in Letterkenny. People can be so unfriendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Thanks a lot you guys!
    My OH going to LYIT so i'm going to see if he can get me into a few night classes!

I've found that it's really hard to make friends in Letterkenny. People can be so unfriendly

Why not consider volunteering? The aforementioned Letterkenny Community Development Project has vacancies for volunteers that might interest you http://letterkennycdp.com/volunteers.html This is a great way to meet people, occupy a few hours in a very worthwhile way and even boost your CV. Most of all, you'll enjoy it - guaranteed :) I'm sure there are other organisations and charities locally that would love to have you on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I started surfing this summer and found it good fun and it can be continued on into Autumn with the right gear. Its relatively cheap as the equipment can be hired and you can decide if you want to pursue it. Keep an eye out on local noticeboards for yoga or pilates classes.

It can be a tough place to settle in, give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Thanks a lot you guys!

Well i am in exactly the same situation as you, moved up here to be with my OH but find it hard to make friends and as such dont really have any.

I'm also in Letterkenny so drop me a PM if ya like

Thanks a lot GeneticDeviant!

Think i'm going to join Aura.. i've also decided to volunteer for Letterkenny women group. Here's hoping people!

I wonder how many people are in the same position... doesn't help that i'm unemployed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

Thanks a lot GeneticDeviant!

Think i'm going to join Aura.. i've also decided to volunteer for Letterkenny women group. Here's hoping people!

I wonder how many people are in the same position... doesn't help that i'm unemployed! :)

Hi Genetic Deviant

Did you find anything to do in Letterkenny as i am in the same position now and sick of my house.

Thanks,

Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Tennis club just opened up kinda recently too

oh where is the tennis club, in the Aura? I wonder do you have to pay to become a part of it?

I was thinking about doing an evening course, but the LYIT doestn't seem to have evening courses (language courses especially) listed on their website. I was also looking on the vec website which sent me to the errigal college but I don't think they do them anymore as said on their website. I rang them and they said to keep an eye on the papers because they advertise them there but as I don't buy papers this is very hard for me!!!

Lauren

• Advertisement

no its up there on high road, near the cultural center i'll get web address now in a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

danniemcq wrote: »

whats wrong with your man's arm trying to catch the tennis ball in the header :o

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

inode wrote: »
    whats wrong with your man's arm trying to catch the tennis ball in the header :o
    Suffering from "tennis elbow" Id imagine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Thanks a lot you guys!

Every day theres different classes in the gym in LYIT, spinning and zumba and other stuff that non students can go to. Call in and get a flyer

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

There is an active Legion of Mary group in Letterkenny. Contact Fr. Rory Brady

inode wrote: »

yeah and some of the links lead you to pages where it just says TEXT AND PICTURES GO HERE

theboss80 wrote: »
    Every day theres different classes in the gym in LYIT, spinning and zumba and other stuff that non students can go to. Call in and get a flyer

Oh really i thought classes in the gym were specifically for students.

I wonder do you know whether the groups/clubs in the lyit are only open to students aswell?

Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Laurenisme wrote: »
    Oh really i thought classes in the gym were specifically for students.

I wonder do you know whether the groups/clubs in the lyit are only open to students aswell?

Lauren

Most are just for college but a couple have outsiders involved aswell such as the womens basketball have a club team thats seperate from the college team. I think there is mixed volleyball aswell once a week

• Advertisement

I have just after coming across this yesterday and very surprised it hasn't been advertied more. I went into Port Na Failte an organizaation put together by Peace III and Donegal Co Co and located on Port road Letterkenny. I didn't realise at all that they do free classes and they are really interesting. At the moment theey are teaching moziac's, i would of really loved to of done tha class but they are alreaady in week 4. Too late for me for that particular one.

But they do have other interesting things coming up, they have a Japanese night, where there is free food, orgami lessons, Judo and Karate. I'll definately go to that!!!!

If you ging into the office there they will put you on their newsletter mailing list and you can then see the courses coming up.

Can't wait to ssee what classes and other stuff they have coming up!!

Lauren

Advertisement